No Excuses for Poor Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanch,

Is .25 inch the group size your stuff shoots all the time, once in a while or the smallest?

Never seen proof a rifle shoots the same size groups all the time.

We all know sporter contour barrels don't like heat from consecutive shots.
I've shot sporter contour barrels into sub MOA with 10 shot groups at 200 and 300 yards fired in 60 to 70 seconds. So have several others

Any barrel fit to receivers whose face ain't squared up to the barrel tenon thread axis will walk point of impact as they heat up. Hard contact is uneven around and the barrel starts whipping more in the hard contact direction,

Last edited:
This all may be very true, our sense of reality is very skewed by just a relatively small sampling of events because of hearing about them on the web. This is in reply to 44AMP, I forgot to include his quote.

some guns get out of the factory with a defect because most companies spend llittle time and ammo dealing with problems unless a customer complains. Alternatively, some guns are broken when people tinker trying to improve them. Then there are some that won't shoot because someone didn't tighten the scope screws. Then the rifle may be good but the optics broke. Some may suffer from poor maintenance. Lots of reasons a gun won't shoot well.

"because they used defective triggers on every bolt gun manufactured between 1946 and 2006." Jmr40

BS!!! This has been addressed in a number of threads in the past after that hack job Hour long TV Special a few years back. The Walker trigger system, if unmolested and maintained, is fine. People abuse them, try to "modify" them or let them get rusty and then blame Remington. Others accidentally bumped the trigger, causing the weapon to fire when closing the bolt and then blamed the Manufacturer. Search the threads.

I TRIED to get my family 1948 721 to fire by bumping the stock. Hard too. It won't fire. Neither will my early 80's 700. We, like millions of other happy Remington 721 / 700 owners, never messed with the trigger system, nor let them get rusty or bunked up with crud. Damn fine rifles! That TV show and the lawsuit... all BS.

At the end of the day, who is responsible for safe muzzle control? :cool:

Last edited:
Until a couple years ago there were over 15 Remington bolt action rifles in my safes. None ever went bang until they were supposed to. Most Remington trigger problems were caused by Bubba "adjusting" trigger pull.

Good Morning Bart B,

As long as it's the same load: 130 grain SIerra GK, 60 grains of H-4831, my factory Model 700 .270 Win will shoot very tiny groups all day long. Nosler 150 grain Partition & RL 22, which chrono at slightly above 3000 FPS, are slightly sub-MOA. It's my .270 Win Rocky Mountain bull elk load. I probably could shrink 150 grain Partition groups to well under MOA with H-4831.

For me, hand loading has made a huge improvement in rifle accuracy.

Good Morning Bart,

This is merely your opinion:

Remington never made target rifles as accurate and reliable as Winchester.

I've never seen any Winchester rifle shoot as accurately as my Model 700.

I've sold an American made Winchester CRF Featherweight. I'll never sell my Model 700.

I had a friend who's now in Heaven who owned two American made Winchester Super Grades. He sold both.

If I were going to buy another big game rifle, it'd probably be a Sako classic, almost assuredly in .243 Win. But I don't need another big game rifle. I need more big game tags.

Good Morning Bart,

Never seen proof a rifle shoots the same size groups all the time.

Try to find an early Model 700. I've never seen circa 1970's Model 700 that wouldn't shoot circles around any Winchester rifle. My fiend's Model 700 7MM Rem Mag shot about as tiny groups as my Model 700.

If you can't find a vintage Model 700, buy a Sako. Sako might just be the king of factory big game rifles although Springfield Armory's Model 2020 might be a challenge to Sako's reign.

Next time you're in So Cal, let me know. We'll go to a range. And no, I won't sell me model 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back