No # 10 caps

turkeybuzzard

I went to the only two local guns and ammo stores and they didn't have any #10 caps. One store had some #11 so I bought them. The man said they had just came in and hadn't had any in two years. He said everyone around here has converted to shotgun primers. Can I use the # 11 without getting a chain fire. I am getting a Uberti 1873 cap an ball.

How do they fit?
The various revolver manufacturers seem to vary quite a bit with their nipple choices.
If they are too large, it would be better to buy after market nipples to fit available caps.

^^ yes ^^,
number 11 caps fit tight on the aftermarket nipples ( I think mine are Treso//sp ? ) but in a pinch , so to speak, you can give the #11's a pinch ( think slightly egg shape ) and they do o.k on stock nipples ,,, for me anyway ,,, YMMV.

Yep as Gavlan said you can pinch a #11 and they will work. I've shot many a cylinder full with that method until I found Remington #10's which fit all my Italian Repros very well. Update your location in your profile. If you were close I would give you a tin of 10's to get you by. That's how we roll around here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It depends on who's caps, the inside diameter on most are close but the length and how far on the nipple taper is the main difference.
I have also found that Remington #10s fit most of my guns, they will slightly split when pushed on where CCIs won't.
Some say you are asking for chain fires if you pinch caps out of round, but last week while trying different caps on a gun to see what caps it liked 3 fell off and none of the chambers chain fired.

I would not recommend shot gun primers for your revolver. They are used by folks that have inline guns.

Well the uberti came in today, it is a nice looking gun. I put the cci # 11 caps on and one of them got caught in the frame. I was just shooting caps, gun was not loaded. I crimped the #11's with my fingers, maybe I did not crimp them enough. I bet they will all jump off when shooting a load.

You can order Remington No.10 caps online from Cabela's. If you buy them 1,000 or more at a time the hazmat fees aren't that bad.

Does Winchester make #10"s? I've been using their magnum #11's on my side locks. They have alot of pop for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't think Winchester makes #10. Actually I think Winchesters are actually made by CCI. I prefer CCI #10. I get a lot of missing priming compound with Remingtons but sometimes they're the only game in town.

Winchester doesn't make anything anymore. They are a name ONLY.

Their rifles are actually made in JAPAN now. What a joke.

They're not a joke. They're just as good as anything that came out of New Haven. I don't like the lawyered safeties but just because they don't say Made In U.S.A doesn't make them a joke. I guess Brownings are a joke too?

Seriously though Remington# ten caps fit just perfectly. They make my 1873 BP reliable. I know it's not historical, but the bugger shoots, and looks and feels great.

i have 2 bp revolvers that cci 10's work on fresh nipples, on dirty nipples some cci 10's will misfire and go off on the 2nd hit. rem 10's have to be pinched on those revolvers. those pistols seem to group better with the rem 10's. i just picked up a 1000 rem 10's at cabelas on sale for $5.99 per 100.

You can order Remington No.10 caps online from Cabela's. If you buy them 1,000 or more at a time the hazmat fees aren't that bad.

Not sure where OP is from, but I FINALLY got to Cabelas for the first time since they opened, and can attest that as of yesterday they did have the Remington #10 in stock in Bristol, Va. Cant find em anywhere ELSE around here (though have seen a couple CCI's), but Cabelas had a rack full of em...

Back