Nightstand gun question

My nightstand gun is a Glock 17 - has been for 20 years or so. I do not leave a round in the chamber, but I do leave the magazine in the gun. I have a small child. Two things I would mention:

1. I would like to change to a different gun for my nightstand. The only reason I haven't done this yet is because I like the night sights on the Glock (they work good enough, even after 20+ years). I really just need to buck-up and put some night sights on a different gun.

2. I really would rather have a DA/SA for a night stand gun, so I could leave one in the pipe with no worry.

Unloaded, with empty magazine in the gun. Loaded magazine in the same drawer.

Seriously?

Why would you keep an unloaded gun next to you? If you wake up with one or more intruders in your home, alarm blaring, dogs barking, general mayhem...what makes you think you have the presence of mind to realize that your gun is a useless club, and be aware enough to rectify that situation?

Because I have kids. This is one of many compromises people with children have to make in such circumstances. I would prefer to have my gun loaded and chambered, but until I get a quick access pistol safe, this is the way I am doing it.

Furthermore, I know how quick I can get into action after waking up, and I am confident I can access the gun, dump the empty mag, slap in the loaded mag, and chamber a round, quickly and in the dark. I expect I'll wake up when the intruder breaks in, or when the dog starts barking. If by some chance the intruder is already in my bedroom when I wake up, or trying to (awkwardly) climb in my bedroom window, I'll grab the warhammer I have in the corner next to the nightstand (it doesn't need loading)

10Ringmagic said:
I have one of those little handgun safes that hold just one pistol sitting on my dresser, the lock is operated by a five button Simplex lock. I have had this for over twenty years.

Whatever gun resides in that box is fully loaded, if it is a semi auto then it has a full magazine and one chambered, revolver have a cylinder full.

I like this idea. Where can I get a safe like this with a push button lock? How many guns does it hold? How much are they?

The nightstand gun safe I am working on looks like a hightstand but it's really a giant spring loaded magazine that delivers handguns instead of bullets.

So you open the top and a gun pops up, you grab that gun and the gun beneath pops up... It holds 11 pistols but I'm working on a high-capacity version that holds 16.

It's my next million dollar idea...:D

condition 1 all the time, no exceptions. If someone is in my place I need instant firepower, not give me a minute to rack the slide and pray everything goes as planned.

Loaded revolver on night table by my right hand. 2 loaded shotguns ready if I have to get up and go out into the house. It makes no difference which one I grab all I need to do is hit the safety, aim and pull the trigger. Boogerman had better identify himself as friend or he is going to get real unhappy no matter which gun I have. Don't be waking me up at dark thirty in the morning because it makes me grumpier than I usually am. If my guns were unloaded or didn't have a round chambered I might as well stay in bed because I'm to old and crippled to wrestle with anybody.

I have a 12 gauge nearby as well if things get really crazy stoked with 5 12 pellet 00 Buck. I keep the 5906 with one hollowpoint mag one Fmj mag. Its ready to go and I figure its enough to deal with most. If not im going to my shotgun and probably going :eek:.

My assumption is that when you need your "nightstand" gun:
You are out of time,
you are playing catch-up,
you need to neutralize a threat Right Now.

Anything that you can do to save time (that does not put an innocent person at risk) and defend yourself is a good thing.

Shotguns are a little different aren't they?

I guess each one has different safety setups but I remember someone saying they would have a Mossberg 930 with one in the chamber because of the possibility of a bump fire (I really don't know if that's valid)

But for you guys with a shotgun, why would you go to that second?

A 12 ga would be the first thing I arm myself with if my house got broken into - pistol would be second only after I'd expended 9 rounds of #1 Buck (experts pick it as the best HD load despite the TFL poll which shows most people use #00 Buck for their HD Shotguns).

I absolutley 100% agree with the last two statments. When you wakeup out of a sound sleep you are at an extreme disadvantage and NEED to save time.

But for you guys with a shotgun, why would you go to that second?

A 12 ga would be the first thing I arm myself with if my house got broken into - pistol would be second only after I'd expended 9 rounds of #1 Buck (experts pick it as the best HD load despite the TFL poll which shows most people use #00 Buck for their HD Shotguns).

While I agree that the shotgun is better on paper, there are other considerations specific to my situation.

I'd grab my 870 second because of it's size. My house isn't super-big and it would be hard to properly maneuver holding a shotgun. Another reason is that I can manipulate doors and flash lights with a pistol better than I can with a shotgun.

Where can I get a safe like this with a push button lock? How many guns does it hold? How much are they?

There are several brands available. I have a GunVault Microvault, which is available in both push-button and biometric versions. The push button version can be had for a bit less than $100 if you shop around a bit; the biometric version runs about $100 more. It holds a pistol and spare mag nicely. Larger models are available.

Unloaded, with empty magazine in the gun. Loaded magazine in the same drawer. . .

Because I have kids.

I don't know how old your kids are, but please don't count on your kids' inability as a safety measure. They learn too fast.

I have a GunVault Microvault

I also have a GunVault and it is an excellent way to secure a firearm or two next to your bed. Keep in mind it is really designed to secure the weapons from people who are part of your household (children, elderly, nosey guest) not from intruders. The box can be mounted using screws or an optional cable, but I suspect a determined thief could make off with it pretty easily.

I live alone so my S&W 5906 is on a stand right next to my bed. I could not move and it would always be in arms reach. I keep 2 14 round mags with me. One in the gun with 115gr. Hornaday FXT and one with Speer Lawman 115gr. FMJ.

Sounds Smart. A revolver seems like a good choice for a nightstand gun. I want to get a S&W M13 HB and would possibly keep that as a nightstand gun. I like the 5906 though because Im groggy waking up and want as many rounds as possibly while I adjust to being awake. 2 15 round mags will do the trick.

P-85 leaning in the corner. Mossberg 500 12ga with pistol grip under the pillow. Haven't been sleeping comfortably lately. Maybe i should switch that.:D

LOL. Defintley, I can imagine it is hard to sleep with a Mossberg 500 under your pillow. Keep the shotgun over to the side, the P85 in reach. Defensive shooters recommend using your pistol in a home defense situation. The reason being chances are that you shoot it the most and are most comfortable and accurate with it.

I live in the country with no neighbors except for the cows. When the kids were young I kept the gun locked. I used one of those rubber things that you had to pull.

Now I just keep the gun on the floor on my side of the bed. It had a load mag but nothing in the chamber. Since I have a dog and am on the second floor I have plenty of time to react and loading the gun gives me a brief amount of time to get aware of my surrounding.

My hope is that I do remember to chamber a round if I need the weapon. I fully understand in a pressure situation this could be a problem. But I feel more comfortable doing it this way and hope my reactions and training would come through.

Back