Nice old Wingmaster

Wouldn't shoot 3" ammo but $500 is kind of steep. Used on Gunbroker, they're running way less. Condition, of course, matters, but there's a 28" 2.75" Wingmaster for $199 with no bids. And another identical but in better condition at $699.
New 2.75" chambered barrels with the Rem Chokes on will go right on with no fuss too.
"...All the Wingmaster's had/have better wood and metal finish..." Nope. Wingmasters were not always Remington's higher end kit. Mine is of early 80's vintage. No fancy wood or finish. And that was when Remington thought polyurethane was a good firearm stock finish.

And to show the difference, mine is a TB Trap gun from the late 70's.

Very nice wood and finish, 30 inch full choke barrel with vent rib.

There was also a TC trap model with AAA wood!

Reinert, I'm in Wyoming myself. My Big Game hunting is winding down now that I'm almost 70 and pretty beat-up. I'm considering getting back into waterfowl hunting and small game, now that I have a Free Lifetime small game/bird and fishing license. I have a couple of A-5's left, along with a Browning Citori O/U. I see lots of used Remington 870's in the Rapid City and Mitchell S.D. Cabelas stores on my way to visit relatives. They are relatively cheap in pheasant country.

20 Ga. 3" Vs. 12 Ga 2 3/4

Yes in many cases a 20 in 3" can equal the 12 2 3/4 with lead shot.

The difference?? It's the pattern. The 12 will have the superior pattern. Trapshooters would use 20 Ga. 3" if the pattern was superior, it's not.

But yes a 20 Ga. 3" will pack 1 1/8 of #8 shot same as a 2 3/4 12. The pattern of the 12 will be superior. Don't overlook the fact that the pattern is a 3 dimensional event.

Thanks for all the great comments. I don't look at firearms too much when I'm in a SGS. Usually when I'm in one, it's to buy reloading components that I run short on. The store I shop mostly is 35 miles from my Wyoming town, and when I visit there, they've strategically place their firearms on the wall you walk by to the reloading components, and at eye level. Good store strategy, and unless you have a question about something, they don't bother you in your purchase quest. Another good store strategy (IMO). Anyway, on my way to buy some powder and primers last week, I walked by the Wingmaster this thread's about. Nostalgia time, and here we are...still. Ha! And again, wouldn't even be here if the 870 wasn't in such nice shape. Can't go look at it today as there's a pretty good snowstorm happening right now, and out our living room window. Snow's all over as I understand it. Good day to stay in camp.

sbelk,

I'm not too far behind you in growth rings, as I'll be 66 next March. I'll keep after the big critters as long as I can, and I've been very fortunate to have been blessed with good lungs and legs. Won't go on forever though, and I realize that a little more every year. I think my wife's happy I'm slowing down a bit... I really need to check in about that license you have for birds, fish and small game, too (shotgun thoughts...). I bought a lifetime conservation stamp/card a long time ago, and I'm really glad I did that. I'm getting old enough now to reap a few benefits for making it this long. My wife and I both got our "get in free" cards from Uncle Sam for all the NPS stuff; Nat'l Parks and camping benefits in National Forest and whatever else we're entitled (EARNED!) to. Ha!

Best of luck to you in your field endeavors in the future for many more years to come! Old Guys rock! BTW, I grew up in MN, and was fortunate enough to have come from a family who ran a dairy farm. That farm had a great duck slough (a small lake, really) on it, and corn and soybean fields to pheasant hunt in, too. I never hunted big game back there until my senior hear in H.S. I got to go on a couple of deer hunts in Wyoming with my middle bro along with a great group of friends. After those deer hunts, it was my dream to move to Wyoming. My wife and I did it back in '79. My wife and I have never, ever, regretted the move. The magic of the place is still working. I bagged a nice 4X4 mulie this past October, and a cow elk just last week; both with M700 rifles, both in '06. Lately, Remington sure has taken a lot of hits, and probably rightly so, but the ones I own are older ones, and that Wingmaster falls into that category. I did buy a new ADL this year, a .223. No problems so far, and it sure it easy on the shoulder; a good thing.

Again, thanks TFL guys for all the great and helpful comments. The best to all of us in this new exciting year coming up!

To a Great America, and Merry Christmas to all.

reinert,
I'll just add this. I have four shotguns, two 20ga and two 12ga. By far and away, my favorite is my 1975 870 Wingmaster in 20ga. I shoot it more than my 12 auto. My WM has two barrels;28" Mod and 26" Imp Cyl.
Merry Christmas! Now, go find a good Wingmaster. You deserve it.

Back