Next Revolver Help?

Some straight answers.

The smith is expensive but worth it, it is designed to use the caliber and has the L frame. Can use moon clips for loading, that is an advantage. It isn't convertible, you will be stuck using nine mm forever, with no versatility of larger rounds. that is probably okay, if you intend to buy another one in larger rounds.

Whoever believes that either .38 or .357 can be purchased for an equivalent price of 9mm should just spend some time looking at real world, rather than digging around at discount outlets to cherry pick. Are you going to be more likely to pick it up at a local store, or go online and get it at fred's or another of the mass market places? Getting those through traditional sources in common lot sizes the nine can sell for maybe half the price of either of the rimmed calibers.

I can't in conscience recommend the taurus, and wouldn't, the savings may be tempting, but I just won't do that.

If you like the blackhawk, it's probably the best choice ,IMO. Convertible from high to lower power, superb quality, can run either one in a matter of seconds. Adjustable sights allow you to dial in for either caliber. Nice looking and handles well. about $3-400 less than the smith and available in many options, barrel length, metal, wood.

I can't honestly tell you which I would choose. Either of those two are high performing lifetime investments.

It seems your major concern over any legitimate revolver cartridge is cost of ammo. My advice is, if you can't afford to feed it, you can't afford the gun in the first place. As others have said, while reloading will bring down the cost per round, you are still going to spend the same "X" amount of dollars on ammo.....cause odds are, like all the rest of us, you will just shoot more. Lots of folks claim it's the recoil that makes for so many big bore revolvers being in the "used" gun case with so few rounds thru them. I believe it's also 'cause folks didn't get enough satisfaction from shooting them to justify what they had to spend for factory ammo. The reason the 9mm is so popular has little to do with how effective it is. While modern projectile designs and construction have made it much more effective, it became highly popular before that, 'cause ammo was cheap. The availability of plentiful and cheap ammo, lead to the wide variety of handguns available for it nowadays, whereas once they were limited. Ain't the accuracy or knockdown power that led to 9mm revolvers....it was the desire to have a revolver that shot cheap ammo. Same as your desire. I see no reason you think you need a large frame 9mm. The bulk and weight will negate any reduction of recoil. Odds are, if shooting factory ammo only, you will not shoot enough to see any recoil reduction benefits anyway. The large frames are for magnum pressures and recoil, not there in 9mm. If you are drawn to the revolver platform, then you need to be drawn to it's calibers too. Otherwise, like I said before, spend the monies on a quality bottom feeder to shoot the cheap ammo.

It seems your major concern over any legitimate revolver cartridge is cost of ammo. My advice is, if you can't afford to feed it, you can't afford the gun in the first place. As others have said, while reloading will bring down the cost per round, you are still going to spend the same "X" amount of dollars on ammo.....cause odds are, like all the rest of us, you will just shoot more. Lots of folks claim it's the recoil that makes for so many big bore revolvers being in the "used" gun case with so few rounds thru them. I believe it's also 'cause folks didn't get enough satisfaction from shooting them to justify what they had to spend for factory ammo. The reason the 9mm is so popular has little to do with how effective it is. While modern projectile designs and construction have made it much more effective, it became highly popular before that, 'cause ammo was cheap. The availability of plentiful and cheap ammo, lead to the wide variety of handguns available for it nowadays, whereas once they were limited. Ain't the accuracy or knockdown power that led to 9mm revolvers....it was the desire to have a revolver that shot cheap ammo. Same as your desire. I see no reason you think you need a large frame 9mm. The bulk and weight will negate any reduction of recoil. Odds are, if shooting factory ammo only, you will not shoot enough to see any recoil reduction benefits anyway. The large frames are for magnum pressures and recoil, not there in 9mm. If you are drawn to the revolver platform, then you need to be drawn to it's calibers too. Otherwise, like I said before, spend the monies on a quality bottom feeder to shoot the cheap ammo.
I have plenty of bottom feeders. The rationale was that if I had $100, that would get me 500 or so rounds of 9mm, and 250-350 rounds of .38/.357. More rounds sounds better to me.

I’m leaning towards the Blackhawk but I’ll have to see what prices are locally.

I have plenty of bottom feeders. The rationale was that if I had $100, that would get me 500 or so rounds of 9mm, and 250-350 rounds of .38/.357. More rounds sounds better to me.

That's kinda like sayin' I have $100, that will get me 25#s of chuck steak or 8# of Rib-eye. More is not always better. I shoot a passel of revolvers in multiple calibers. I get as much enjoyment from shooting 25 rounds from my .460 as I do from shooting 100 rounds from my .357s. This even tho 100 rounds of .357 costs me less to reload than those 25 rounds of .460. Sometimes shooting, like steak, whiskey and women, at least to me, quality prevails over quantity. Also, for the time it takes me shoot 100 rounds from my 1911, I can only get off about maybe a third from my big bore magnum revolvers. This is with double action revolvers.......I tend to think from a SA it would be even less. So one has to consider what enjoyment is received by cost per hour vs cost per round. One reason I enjoy my revolvers is their accuracy. One thing that always comes up when folks start talking about convertible revolvers is the accuracy of the secondary cartridge. Is one looking for performance or just making as much noise as they think they can reasonably afford.

I’m leaning towards the Blackhawk but I’ll have to see what prices are locally.

Again, making a choice in a substantial investment on initial cost. The Blackhawk is the cheapest route so that's the one I'll take. Lot more to it than price. Iffin' you're gonna get a revolver to shoot 9mm, spend the monies to get one dedicated to that caliber, don't get something that will only perform sub-par with the caliber you are going to shot the majority of the time, because you think you might shoot a few .357s outta it. I can shoot .45ACP, .45 colt and .454 Casull outta my X-Frame. Didn't buy it for that. While I can shoot specials outta my 686s and 629s, I didn't buy 'em for that, even tho they do it much better and without the convertible cylinder. I do have some .38 special only revolvers tho..........

Thoughts? Should I just go for a .357 mag and pony up the cash for the ammo?

.......yes.

Buck460XVR, I understand what your saying. Perhaps my decision will be based on what’s available locally. I don’t recall seeing a convertible Blackhawk or the 9mm S&W’s at my LGS. I definitely want to get a GP100 someday, regardless of cost. And who knows, maybe reloading is in my future.

For GP100’s in .357, is there anything to look for when I handle it? Issues? I’ve heard the 7 shot ones have had some problems but that was through the grapevine.

I have a Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertible. I like using the 9mm cylinder for plinking and the .357 cylinder for magnums only. I don't even bother with .38Spl in it.....keeps the magnum cylinder cleaner.

If you really want a step up, try a revolver in .45ACP. You can go from mild to wild with factory ammo there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If you want to shoot cheaper than 9mm you have two choices 22LR or reload. To get close to 22LR in cost you will also have to have a source for free lead and cast your own bullets. Primers will run you about .03 and power .01+ or-, and you should already have brass making 50 rounds about $2.50

If you buy the bullets they will run .10 and up also reloading equipment will be $200.00 and up depending on how much time and laborer you are willing to put into it. A single stage press, dies and power scales will get you started if you buy bullets.

Unless you shoot thousands of rounds a year, reloading my not be for you. I have been reloading and casting bullets for over 25 years and my equipment has long since payed for its self. It also depends on how much you time is worth to you.

I started reloading with a $12.00 Lee reloading kit in 1962 for a 357 Ruger. The same kit is available today but you will earn every round you reload.

hope this helps

I haven’t shot too many Rugers (other than my own) but I really like the looks of the GP100.

Try and get your hands on one to see if you like the feel of it, they are excellent revolvers. I have yet to hear anyone say they regretted buying one.

Be different. Get another SP101 in .327 Fed Mag.

Is the ammo cheap? Some is, some isn't. It is if you reload.

But, you can shoot 32 ACP, 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum, all out of the same gun.

And the 327 Fed Mag is no slouch. It will more than hold its own with others and it's accurate.

I have one in an LCR and an SP101. Both are my carry guns.

To get close to 22LR in cost you will also have to have a source for free lead and cast your own bullets. Primers will run you about .03 and power .01+ or-, and you should already have brass making 50 rounds about $2.50

Even buying lead will bring your reloading cost below .22 rimfire. I am able to reload .38 and .45 ammo for about $3.00 per box of 50. This opens up a lot of possibilities beyond the cheap, steel cased 9mm ammo currently found.

Don

The Ruger LCR9mm

I just absoutly love shooting this gun. Why?
1) Over three years ago when I started shooting this little Snubbie, I was a terrible shot. I mean bad. The little 1.85" barrel was a challange. And I love a good challange. So this is where the journey starts.
2) I love the feel, the balance of this Snubbie. I love the trigger. Smooth, deliberate, also feels safe to carry.
3) I love the ballistics for a small gun. 9mm Good Power, not the harsh recoil of the 357, high flash, and loud noise. For myself, just the perfect caliber.
4) loading. I love moon clips. Almost makes me hate magazines. Lower cost, easy and fast to use. I can load up 40 clips the night before range day and all set for some fun shooting.
5) Reliability. Some on the internet say that this gun will jump crimp. Yea, it will, on cheap ammo. Get the right ammo and it has been a non issue. It alway's goes bang. A occasional bad primer strike, no problem, it is a revolver.
6) I like tanks. If it is a pocket gun, a micro 9 or a snubbie. I want a tank build quality. I do not want a gun that will fold like a cheap lawn chair at a high volume of shooting. The Ruger has LCR9mm has exceeded all my expectations. It is a tank.
7) Accuracy. Yes believe it or not a snubbie can be a very accurate firearm. The gun will perform. It is my opinion it is the shooter that is not accurate. Yes, three years ago, I proved that I was not accurate with this gun as a new shooter. Now I can quicky nail head shots at 10 yds with no problem. All a matter of disipline and frequent, moderate training. I am sure there are many other snubbie shooters out there that are a whole lot better than myself.
8)Easy to carry. Even though this is a 17oz gun, it is easy to carry. I will quickly pick up this gun and put a moon clip in it before going out. No need to rack the gun and check it. Just load a moon clip. I love to carry Apex in a pair of jeans, on my hip in a close body holster, or even in my pocket.
9) Recoil---When I first started shooting this gun, I did feel he was on the harsh side. No where near a 357 of course, not even close. But this side of pleasant before recoil becomes just unpleasant, not fun. NOW- I love the recoil. I have become use to it. And now it is just darn fun to shoot. Enough recoil to make the gun feel alive, but easy to shoot. Yes, actually a recoil you can love.
10) Hickcock45 when reviewing a small revolver said and I will paraphase ' I love shooting them, just something about them. And probably my most fun shooting."
By the way, I also own the Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/357 which I love to shoot.

Read this review comparing the LCR9mm to the 38

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2014/11/ruger-lcr-9mm-review-pocket-9mm-for.html

Ballistic comparison of the 38 and 9mm Check out the chart comparison

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm_vs_.38special.php

0OPluvK.jpg

Last edited:
I think the first question you should ask yourself is "What is your intended purpose for that gun?". Is it for concealed carry, home defense, range toy, or hunting? Most guns can cover several uses, but a 9mm is not an ideal hunting cartridge. Also, what will the new gun do that your current gun doesn't? I don't see the point in duplication unless you already have a vast collection.

With all that said, I'd say go for the GP100 in .357 magnum and pick up ammo when you can find a good deal. Mine is a tack driver with .357 mag, but groupings for .38 special aren't as good. I'm not sure how multi-caliber guns would really work in practice.

Go for the Gp100 in 357

A 357 revolver is the MOST VERSATILE HANDGUN YOU CAN BUY. You can find cheaper ammo in 38 special and magnums online. You will pay more for ammo but there is a significant increase with 357 in performance over a 9mm. If you want to stick with 9mm get a CZ75.

BTW skip the steel cased stuff. Brass is reloadable and can also be sold. Reloading 357 is pretty cheap compared with factory.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/357-magnum-ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/38-special-ammo

A 357 revolver is the MOST VERSATILE HANDGUN YOU CAN BUY. You can find cheaper ammo in 38 special and magnums online. You will pay more for ammo but there is a significant increase with 357 in performance over a 9mm. If you want to stick with 9mm get a CZ75.

BTW skip the steel cased stuff. Brass is reloadable and can also be sold. Reloading 357 is pretty cheap compared with factory.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/357-magnum-ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/38-special-ammo
Actually 9mm is not far from the 357. And again, in a small gun sure do not need the extremely high recoil, muzzle flash and noise. And for myself, training with the same ammo I will CCW means more than just power. I can nail head shots with 9mm on a Snubbie, 357 is a whole different ball game. Accuracy to me is important.
Again, depends as stephen426 said. What are you going to use the gun for. Hunting, I agree, I would maybe choose the 357. But maybe even move up.
9mm is a excellent choice and yes, versatile from light loads up to Plus P. Many variety's and hard to beat the availability and cost.

Yes. the CZ75 is a great gun, but there are a lot of great Semi auto 9mm's out there. And again, what are your going to use it for. How much does one weigh over a Snubbie?
And not every one reloads. I do, but not as much as I would like because of time etc. I doubt all will buy a 357. knowing they will have to start reloading as well.

But never say never. I would love to have the Kimber 6. Not to mention this baby in 9mm.

5U0XiBA.jpg

Last edited:
I like my Ruger GP-100 (Stainless with a 6" barrel). Picked it up cheap at a pawn shop because the rear sight was broken. 10 bucks for a replacement. Have had it for about 5 years, and I reload for it. Lots of powders and bullet weights to select from.

Well here she is boys. I found a good deal on a Ruger GP100 6" Talo Edition. I love the way the unfluted cylinder looks. Goes well with my SP101 in 9mm too.

Attachments

• IMG_4037(1)2.jpg
    IMG_4037(1)2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 14
Very nice addition!

If saving money is your goal- I'd recommend a GP100 in .22lr next!;)

Last edited:
Back