Newbie Rifle Advice Sought

The advantages of a new, current production rifle include being able to purchase what you want, on demand, and probably a warranty. But there are a whole lot of decent 2nd hand bolt-action rifles out there, predominately in 30-'06 and 270 Winchester, at a substantial savings over a new rifle, plus the sticker price is very often negotiable. Oftentimes, a used rifle may have a decent scope on it as well. Maybe you could even use the AR as a trade in....;)
Don't mind me on that point; I just don't give a darn about AR's. For me, it's more interesting shopping around for older rifles than new ones, and I've gone both ways. With new rifles, you need to know what you want and be willing to pay the price. Budgets work much better on the used market where anything can happen and everything is negotiable. I know some people have a mental block when it comes to haggling, and they just can't do it. But there are friendly ways to haggle. There must be a million used bolt-action rifles out there for sale in 30-'06, alone. And nearly as many 270's. Even with your budget, I would certainly find a rifle that I liked that would be better than your budget would expect. I would probably end up with a push-feed model 70 Winchester from the 1970's with a Walnut stock. I mention 270's because they are as common as the 30-'06, the ammo is everywhere and costs the same and does the same job. If you shop the used market with no preference between 30-'06 and 270, it effectively doubles the market.
Good luck in your quest.

i suggested the adl because in my opinion it is a better action, there is more aftermarket support and it is eithin your desired price range.
i picked my 700 sps used. with redfield revolution 4-12 x40 scope for just over 500. bought a lower end nikon 4-12x40 for it and sold the redfield. redfield had a higher price point than the nikon but the nikon hsd clearer optic better low light vison despite costing less.

i used two savage 110s for nearly 20 years in 06 was my go to rifle. got it in a package with simmons 3-9x32 on top. same optic was still on it when i sold it.
shoulder injury made me stop shooting for about 4 years.
well i started shooting and hunting again 4 years ago found a used win 670 in 06 for 200.00 with weaver whitetail classic mounted on it. gave it to sil and found a bushnell 3200 elite for it.
point is get the best you can afford and upgrade later.

Last edited:
I like Remington, but I'd stick to the 700 line, an ADL or SPS. I think buds has the Remington ADL with a scope package on clearance for close to your budget. Check with them, that package will get you started.

For some 95% of deer hunting, a decent fixed 4X is plenty good. And, from many decades of using them, Weaver rings and bases work as well as anything else.

I began centerfire with a .30-'06 and a Weaver K-2.5. My eyes were younger, sixty-five years ago. :) I could shoot five-shot groups with handloads, and have those groups right at one MOA. So, when folks talk about much higher power as though it's necessity, I figure that it's nap time. :D

I bought savage axis II for under $400. Nice gun and puts the projectile where I want it to go. They come in a number of calibers.

Forget the 06 move on to the future. Get a 6.5 Creedmoor in a bolt. A Rem. 700 won't let you down. Also the Savage or Ruger American. No need to hem and haw any more.
If you want to pinch penny's get the scope next year. That will give you time to get the best you can afford.

The 30-06 is on the stiff side and will need to be heavy. Why go heavy when you can go with a light 6.5mm Creedmoor that is capable of reaching out to 1000 Yds. With little recoil compared to the 30-06. The 6.5 has the power to take deer size game no questions asked. Even Varmints way out there.

That's my story and I'm sicken to it.

Buds has a Savage axis in a 6.5 Creedmoor and a good starter scope for $391.

Last edited:
Since 3006 is available to you (at some point you may want to reload your own) and you are looking for a budget gun, take your time and look at the Ruger American, the Savage Axis, and other "introductory" guns. They are rarely pretty guns but the Ruger and Savage both have a reputation as shooters. The Ruger can be had with an extra stock butt plate for youth and a Monte Carlo rise. The rear of the stock is changed by removing the sling swivel and changing the rear of the stock and then replacing the sling swivel. Don't go cheap on the scope but you don't have to spend $500 or more to get a decent hunting scope. Stay away from the Simmons scopes as their bottom of the line scopes are bottom of the barrel scopes.
I prefer heavy guns and the Ruger is not but then most of the hunting guns are 6-1/2 to 8 pounds and a good recoil pad will reduce what you feel. I have hunted and plinked and shot paper with my 3006 for almost 50 years and it weighs 10 pounds. It is still my favorite hunting gun.

It is unlikely that you would be so lucky, but my local Walmart recently clearanced a bunch of rifles. They marked Ruger Americans without a scope down to $200, which would leave you with about $200 more for a good scope. You might check your local Walmarts just in case. I didn't buy one of the Americans, but I did leave with a Marlin 1895 for $300.

Here's another one for your consideration. I got a .223 Rem. for that same deal. It's a very good rifle.

www.gunbroker.com/item/612927610

B Brimstone, those are awesome prices on those Wally World guns. Bet that sale didn't last long.

V Scope, good luck on your rifle hunt.

Thanks, Reinert!

Walmart as the Ruger American with Vortex Scope in 30-06 for $474, not on sale, normal price. Since only have $300 on hand right now, I will just wait and watch. After some royalty checks come in later this month I should have enough to buy one. Might wait little longer than that since the outdoor range is closed till better weather hits so will not be able to shoot it for a bit yet anyways.

Back