Newbie Rifle Advice Sought

VydorScope

Inactive
I read through I bunch of old threads and most of them seem to talk about first rifles that are above my budget. So I am doing the newbie thing and starting a "which gun should buy" thread.

I own a few different guns, but not a hunting rifle. After reading the various wars on caliber I am pretty sure I am going to get a 30-06. I have a .223 and .22 so want something a bit bigger. I did consider the 7mm but checking the stores around me 30-06 ammo is much easier to get a hold of, so I am leaning towards it. I go back and forth on that though.

BUT here is the hard part, I am looking for the scope and gun under $400. :) Seems like the Remington 783 fits that bill. I was in a local gun shop and they have it for $338. They also have a used 770 for $325, but not sure why I would ever buy a used 770 for almost the same price as a 783?

As for what I plan to use it for, well most of the shooting will be done at the range. I am not a big hunter - but my son is (or rather wants to be). So it will go with him when he goes deer hunting with some family friends. Personally, I enjoy target shooting (hence the 223) more than hunting. I bought a 20g for him to turkey hunt with when he was a bit younger, but he is getting big enough to handle a 12g or 30-06 without concern.

So, in the sub-$400 range, looking at a 30-06 in bolt action, what would be a wise choice? I like the Remmington 783 package, but I have not actually had my hands on one yet. Every store is "can order and have in a couple days" so far. Any advice? Thanks!

You ain't gonna find a scope/rifle combo new under $400. Not worth bringing home anyway. Decent scopes start at about $200 MSRP, the ones that come on the package guns are garbage. You might buy one used or find someone discounting them heavily for less.

You might be able to get by with a $500 budget, but at $600 you have more options.

Nothing wrong with 30-06, but recoil can become a factor in some lighter rifles, and most of the budget guns such as the Savage Axis and Ruger American can be pretty lightweight. Those would be the top 2 I'd suggest, but would strongly consider 308 instead of 30-06.

The 308 does everything 30-06 does. It just shoots the same bullets slightly slower with reduced recoil. Ammo is slightly less expensive and just as available, maybe more so. It will still take any game animal you'd hunt with a 30-06. The only real difference is that while the 30-06 might take an elk at 500 yards you'd probably not want to take that shot much past 400 with a 308. Very few people can shoot well enough to take advantage of either.

Check the pawnshops. The popularity of para-military rifles has to a great extent made bolt-action hunting rifles a drug on the market.

They generally have no more than 50% of NIB price in them; often, less. If you have cash and can bargain, you might find a very good deal.

The problem with used is I do not know the market well enough to know what I am buying. Is that $400 worth $900 or $90? How would I even judge the condition? Is that trigger mech just dirty or defective? Etc?

I have $300 in my gun fund and hope to build to $400 before spring when the outdoor range opens again. I assumed the scope in a package like the Remmington 783 would be subpar, but if the rifle itself it good, I can get that and replace the scope later. Same with Savage's equivalent. Right?

Since this gun will be ALSO used by your son for deer hunting, I would not go any larger than 7mm-08. With a $400 budget, I would look for a gun close to the $400 and get a low cost scope which you could upgrade in the future.

They dont get much respect, but I got a couple of these temporary place holder scopes. My choice was used 4x tasco's for $25 each. A 4x is plenty good and that allow you to get a 1/2 way decent gun.

This would be a good choice, Ruger American 7mm-08 $355, free shipping to your FFL

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84839

Some will favor Ruger and some will favor Savage, but you would not go wrong with the Remington 783. More important than the brand of rifle you choose is getting comfortable and confident with the gun. This involves the range work you talk about. And for hunting, nothing better than the 30-06.

And for hunting, nothing better than the 30-06.

My first deer rifle was a 30-06. I was 18 year old. I sold it and got a sweet little 30-30 which I still own.

Years later, I got a Model 70 in 30-06. Fine rifle, but; not a good way to begin and ridiculous over kill for deer. I am thinking of the OP's son here.

If he can handle a 12 gauge I doubt he'll have too much trouble with the 30-06. Though We didn't get an age range I don't believe.

The 30-06 is an excellent deer round IMHO. With the right load it can be perfect for almost anything.

That said, there are so many good rounds! Yes the 308 is great and the ammo is just as available. I have a Ruger American 308. Great gun! I paid $400 even for it.

Looking back I'd probably have gone with the 6.5 Creedmoor for myself though. (I reload so local availability isn't a big issue usually). Highly capable of great accurate at range and it's recoil is negligible. Probably good for you if you're looking to shoot at the range a good bit and still want to hunt. Just remember it's more rare right now, though rising in popularity.

I highly recommend the Ruger American over the other budget rifles! Or, If you can get a cheap scope pick up a Remington 700 on sale somewhere and you'll never need another rifle.

Good luck!

Personally I would check the used gun racks but if I went new on a budget I was thinking Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis, and Ruger American. Saw the Mossberg in wood or laminant and it almost went home with me.

Nothing wrong with the 30-06. I watched kids around 12 years old in 4h shooting it just fine. Sure it's going to kick but well worth it.

Sorry OP, you have embarked upon a hobby that costs money, period. You need to be realistic in your "want's". $400 for a reasonable quality centerfire rifle and a reasonable centerfire scope is just not going to happen. Used maybe... but for $400 it will be pretty beat up (probably a shot out barrel trade-in) and then you end up nickle dimeing yourself into substantial repair costs. Save up some more funds, come up with $600 and now I feel you can find a good used combo and shoot with confidence and accuracy.

I switch to a 5 pound Model 94 in 30/30 more for the weight. It might kick pretty close to a full size rifle and scope in 30-06. A back breaker to carry all day.

The problem is choosing one gun good for both target shooting and occasional white tail deer. Ok, and on a $400 budget.

An 06 based round could be just fine. My Model 70 featherweight would work. It is not as light as the name implies. Either, For the hunter who is not moving around all afternoon and for shooting 20 rounds on paper at one outing. My cost was 3x the budget. The problem is is the hunter is moving around would appreciate a lighter gun, while for longer range sessions a heavier gun is better. Switching to a smaller round makes the compromise much easier.

Winchester used to make an excellent target rifle in 30-06. I think it was called national match with a heavy barrel and heavy wood stock. I dont know where you find a new gun like that in 06 and if you did it would be very heavy to hunt. On the other hand here are many choices in 308. Move down to 243 and it becomes very easy to find one rifle for both activity.

For ammo availability, 223,762x39 & 308 are king. I dont even own a 308 or 762. It just is what it is.

The obvious solution is two guns. Each optimized for the task at hand.

What ever sport you choose it should be fun, shooting all afternnon or carry all day. I like the 7mm08, in retrospect the 243 probably ideal and a 308 better than an any 06 round.

Last edited:
I like the Ruger American for hunting and a 7mm or 243 would be a sweet shooter.

I dont care for those Remingtons you mentioned. I might try this on a budget.

Here is a savage with scope $300. Not a recommendation, just an fyi:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/savage-axis-xp-243-winchester-bolt-action-rifle

I never owned a savage, disclaimer. If you spend 90% of the time at the range. These were selling for $500 on sale and normal list was $600. Sold out, but typical of whats out there in 308 for target shooting. Savage 10T:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/savage-174-arms-model-10t-tactical-bolt-action-rifle/1695199.uts

Two guys at my club got these on-sale and were both shooing sub moa on the first day out. Good enough trigger too. it is heavy to hunt, but it could be done. I think you are close to 9 pounds with a scope. This is a gun you could lay on a mat and overlook a field with a bipod.

Leapers scopes are supposed to be low priced and good.
I have a Tasco 4-12 that has served well for a long time.
Found it on sale very affordably.
Recent improvements in optics has allowed lower priced scopes to be plenty good enough for casual use.
Unless it's to be used for extreme conditions, like low light, long distances, and lots of shooting, there appears to be little reason for going overboard for choosing a scope for most folks.
Unlike the firearm, they're easy to see if they're suitable in the store before buying.

OP, if you want to understand fair used gun pricing gunbroker.com is an excellent resource. You can do an advanced search of sold listings and get a good gauge or pricing that way.

For you wants, given your budget, you *MIGHT* find an older used Stevens 200, maybe a savage 10 or 110, Ruger 77 mk II in your budget... All of which will be far more rifle for your money than a savage axis or a ruger american.

As some have suggested, I would consider going with a .308 for a number of reasons. The biggest reason was given, you don't want a light target rifle in a heavy caliber, but you don't want to lug around a heavy rifle all day hunting.

As for topping with cheap optics... I've used numerous cheap optics. I've had a Simmons, Vasco, Leapers, and cheap Bushnells. None were spectacular, but almost all were capable or shooting decent groups. You wouldn't want to try a 400 yard shot on game in low light with a cheap scope, but for broad daylight at the range and hunting within 150 yards they are serviceable. You can always upgrade optics later.

When I read this I see He wants a gun for target shooting and figuring things out. And second that maybe his son could use for hunting. But number 1 is key.

Thanks, everyone... some answers...

"Costs money" - Yeah, I know. :( This will be my fourth gun. I have a 9mm, AR, Shotgun and 22. And a safe. And Ammo. And optics. And holsters. And cleaning kits. And range membership. And well you know :)

I was hoping after seeing packages like the Remington 783 at $340 that I could get away a bit cheaper, but most of you are saying that would be a mistake.

My son can handle a 12g, at 13 years old, so I am not worried about the kick from a 30-06.

Most of the time the gun will be used by me at the range, but if things go the way I think they will in a year or two he will be going with some family friends hunting white tail and etc. If/When that happens he will take this rifle with him. At least until the freeloader gets a job and buys his own ;) Also, they tend to hunt from blinds or stands. They do not do drives (like I did at his age) or anything like that. So if he does go with them, he would only lug the gun to the stand or blind, and then sit. So weight is not likely to be as big of an issue.

I am fine with a cheap scope that I replace later. If the rifle is solid, that is what really counts at the end of the day.

So what if the budget was $500? Would that be enough? I need to keep this as low as possible, but not so low I regret what I buy.

I never got to fire a 783 myself, but we sold them extensively at Academy and I was always very impressed with the fit and feel of the overall gun. Much moreso than the abomination they called the 770.

In the past, I have used Bushnell Banner gun scopes at a budget. I got a 4X32 for my AR for around $80 and my brother's Savage has a 4-12 Banner which ran just over $100 IIRC.

So you might be able to do OK with a 783 and Banner. That's almost at the range where you can start getting lower level Nikon ProStaff models if you keep an eye on used and clearance.

Back