Newbie here, with mystery Savage 22 - PICS

model 1922 ?

I have this same gun only my stock ends 1.5" past the first barrel band and has a peep sight mounted to the stock and the front sight Is tubular and looks like the insert can be changed. It has a double firing pin ant the mag says savage sporter on one side and 22 long rifle instead of 22 s l lr.I found 7round after mags but I need to kmow which one I need

So...I'm bringing this thread back up, with a little info from me, and another question or two for you guys.

When I made all of the older posts, I had yet to even fire the gun, and now that the weather has improved, I've fired around 200 rounds through it so far, and am in love with my rifle. It functions flawlessly, and seems to be incredibly accurate (definitely more than my friends' Stevens and Winchester .22s).

Here's a 3.5" hard drive disk shot at 50 yards, just for fun.

d8112fb4.jpg

My problem however, is that the rear sight was, and still is, damaged and no longer adjustable. I've found that I have to aim low and left of my targets to hit them, and it's gotten pretty annoying. So, my question is: Is there a way to mount a scope to this rifle without damaging it (i.e. drilling and tapping)? I thought I saw pictures somewhere of a model 19 NRA with a newer scope on it, and wasn't sure what kind of mounts I could use on an old bolt-action like this one. Any help is very much appreciated, thanks!

Ross

Savage 22 lr bolt with long stock

I have a 22 LR bolt action with a long stock similar to the picture posted. The patents are 1905, 1915, 1917. I would like to find a clip to fit. Any ideas?

Since the rear sight is no longer available, perhaps you could get your gunsmith to remove the sight from its base, weld on a keyway blank and install one of Williams TK receiver sights onto the keyway. It would not be original, but would retain the peep sight similar to the one on it now. Later, when you are finally able to locate one (probably take a long time) you can replace it with an original.

i suppose it what you are going to do with becomes the question. if you are mostly going to look at it, you would want it all original. if your just going to plink with it sure stock is fine. if you are going to do any more with it cant you just take it to a gun smith and have a scope mount added to it?
after all its a .22. not to take away from the fact that its a very nice rifle its still a gun you can and seems to me; you will use. one day if you are like me and millions of other people your eyes will be the first to go ( i cant remember what's the next to go ) you will need a sight scope!

i seriously doubt you will ever want to sell it. so the value of it is the fact it was your grandfathers. now it is yours and one day hopefully it will be your heirs.

i say make it yours and rejoice in the fact of that.
enjoy that is really a beautiful rifle:)

Same Gun

Hi,

I have the same gun and your is the first I have seen even close to the style I have. I have a shorter front stock but the mag, butt plate, bolt and trigger are all the same. It looks like my grandfather had a different rear site installed. Probably because the original broke. The gun is a great shooter and very accurate. I have enjoyed shooting it since I was a teen. The trigger on the gun is one of the best I have ever shot.

I believe, after doing much research, that it is a Savage Model 1919. My serial number is much lower than yours but I was very happy to see your post. If you want I can e-mail you some pictures.

I'm not sure what Savage was thinking when they designed that rear sight. I have a Model 19 and the windage knob is broken off in exactly the same way. The thread is so delicate it belongs in a watch, not a firearm. I've seen several others with the same problem so replacement parts will be hard to find.

Welcome to TFL.

The original poster hasn't been around for a few years so you might not get a response from them.

An accurate .22 with a good trigger is truly a joy to shoot. Hopefully the ammo shortage will soon go away and we can get back to shooting them.

Back