New Year's Plan - old Mausers

Got my barrel from Brownell's. Installed on the Brazilian with a touch of Oxpho-blue (also Brownells). Ordered up a finish reamer and go/no go gauges. Next up is fitting the new barrel profile to the stock (quite different from the original) and bedding the whole deal. For those interested in such things, the barrel shank is about 1/4 mm (0.01") shorter than the measurement from the front of the receiver to the 'C' ring.

My Radom receiver and bolt will be delivered to Shaw tomorrow. They are quoting 12 weeks, but the last time they worked one for me, they beat their quoted time by a lot.

Attachments

• Brazilian crest.jpg
    Brazilian crest.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Brownell's bbl Oxpho-blue.jpg
    Brownell's bbl Oxpho-blue.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 21
Chop 'em down, then Scout scope 'em.

Transforms an Old Mauser into a new and useful tool. Much better than the commercial offerings too. :cool:

Good thread...I have a couple of Turkish marked large ring Mauser actions waiting for a good idea. One was a rifle I foolishly started to sporterize before the gunsmith became incapacitated and unable to complete. The other was a potential felony (cut down) we found in my Dad's house after he passed. I have two sons and am thinking about doing a matched pair for them....I'm thinking 25-06, but haven't decided yet. It will be a long term project to say the least....

Jerry

Watch the Turks. They're not bad, but they can vary a good bit. I had one with a short shank and an odd thread pitch. Unless you want to modify the bottom metal, you may find 25-06 too long for your mags. The 8x57 max COL is 3.25, and I have not been able to get anything longer than 3.27 - 3.28 to work in a standard mag well.

Closure (mostly)

Shaw has my Pole. When I get that one back, I'll report, but it will be months from now. But I can just about wrap up my Brazilian.

I took her to the range today with some Speer 150s and some SGK 165s over Re-15. The Speers did pretty good. At a grain and a half below their max, I shot a 1 1/2" group at 2,850. Not bad, considering these are the first rounds through this barrel. The Sierras were not as good, nothing better than 3". Sierra tested Re-15, but they recommend a notch slower. I'm going to run some Barnes TTSX first.

Now, you won't believe this, but today is the first time I've fired a 308. I load and shoot more than 40 calibers, but never this most common one. Pleasant round to shoot. In any case, this rifle never shot so good. I'm happy, and I expect to improve on that group. And thumbs up for Brownell's bargain barrels. I'm 2 for 2 with them.

I gave both my sons a German K98k's in 8x57IS each when they were about 14 years old and could handle the recoil. They like them to this day.

This is a photo from long ago ...

Attachments

• Rick K98k.JPG
    Rick K98k.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 15
1903 Turk mauser: shaved action, turned down bolt handle, Wisner swing safety, now a floorplate release lever....it just goes on an on.....

Lots of companies will sell you a barrel. Mine is from Brownell's $95. This is my second. Put a 6.5x55 on another Mauser. In both cases threads matched perfectly. Both shoot well.

Okay, thanks ...

Just yesterday at the LGS, I saw a Spanish short rifle (1893) Mauser in 7x57. 21" barrel. Looks all original, with a dirty though still decent bore.

The gunsmith didn't think it was the right candidate to re-barrel to .308 due to the receiver.

I just got my MarkX back from bluing, it had rust specs all over it, I took off the worst of them and polished some other things up, but in the end the barrel had a tad deeper specs in it so I had it matte blued.
The rifle is a hunting rifle, and I like all my hunting rifles to wear black matte as to not spook game when the sun's right on me....

Back