New Walther PPK .380

It is listed in Walther's 2019 catalog fyi. Glad to see the PPQ M1 is sticking around too, love the mag release.

I’ll need to hold one again to see if the flame is still there. Not going to buy one sight unseen, but an all steel gun is always a good thing.

If they make a real Walther PPK, that might be interesting.

Not interested in the almost Walther PPK with the monster beavertail they cooked up for the last iteration of the gun.

I also prefer the original beavertail. I hate the long tang it ruined the look of the gun. I would sell my smith built gun for a original tang gun.

I don't think it will be a big seller. in today's gun world the PPK is something a purist would like. while the new offering will still have the original lousy D/A trigger; it will also have the hideous new beavertail.

Last edited:
From what I’ve read they’re coming out with the PPK and PPK/S. Prices are going to be in the mid to high six hundred range. My feeling is that the 380 caliber market is already saturated and not very popular. But that can change as more people are aging and more women are getting into shooting and concealed carry and want less recoil. Besides, who wouldn’t want to be James Bond?

want less recoil.

If the marketers running Smith think a direct blow back .380 is going to create less perceived recoil for the shooter it indicates they have NEVER shot one and have absolutely no clue what they are doing. Those things are entirely possible with the bean counters but not a good sign.

Recoil

Walther is marketing this one directly.... US made frame and German slide. And as a pocket carry piece an all steel .380 will certainly recoil less than a similarly sized polymer wonder, especially in 9mm. That and the Bond factor probably right or wrong convinced Walther to bring back the PPK. Not to mention that they had to get around import restrictions. My guess is that iconic guns always sell despite some rather outdated technology....that’s why they’re iconic;)

I hope they produce a .32 version. If Walther is banking on nostalgia, this move would seem like a slam dunk. It would also result in a mild shooting pocket pistol.

certainly recoil less than a similarly sized polymer wonder

I'm told that it has to do with the time span that other designs use where recoil is spread out over a longer duration. The recoil perceived by the shooter in the PPK (Sig P232, etc) is a lot more than one would expect given the size and weight of the piece. Its not the certainty it would appear to be at first glance.

I also dont like how the sights are fixed to the slide. If it cuts the cost/price down fine, but if theyre still charging the old prices, pass...

This thread has identified, to me, a couple issues.

First the gun is not a practical contender to other .380 options out there. I can buy a .380 that is lighter, smaller, AND has less perceived recoil. If I want roughly the same size and weight I can get a lot less perceived recoil.

Setting the sights differently to save money harms the nostalgia of the product. With the price tag on these compared to more functional options this is a luxury purchase - don't go cheap on production of a luxury item. These are, traditionally, a beautiful gun (though I think the Sigs looked better) and a pleasure to own. They are not, however, practical when compared to other options

As noted above I also think this would be better chambered in .32. More nostalgia and still an interesting range piece though I can understand the argument for the .380

I would love to have an older model chambered in .32 but really can't see buying one of the new ones unless it was maybe a very cheap used one. Now, if they made me magically look like Daniel Craig...

Lol, I love to see how the internet posters start a bashing, on a gun they never shot. I personally would love to shoot one. Not really a fan of larger 380. pistols, but still, this looks like a really nice gun. I see the trigger pull is NOT 20lb for Gosh sake. It is listed by Walther as DA: 13.4 /SA: 6.1 lbs
DA: 0.4.
And if it is a smooth trigger then it would very well be a nice trigger. How about saving the bashing after you actually shoot one?

Back