New Walther: PDP "better trigger than PPQ"

The trigger is better than the PPQ? Well so is that in my P99AS....
That said, I know i'm gonna want to get my hands on it....
I love the look of that grip texture. I want to say "catches the eye," but besides making bad puns, I mean it really does look like it will hold securely.
Walther just makes good gun after good gun.

Interesting ad. I don't know why it would be offensive. Why else do we go to all the trouble of responsibly carrying a firearm? I'm not interested in being a hero. I just like being alive. I'd like to stay that way. I'd like the same for my loved ones. Evil exists and standing a chance against it is part of everyday preparedness.

That said, I'm still happy with the P99. DA/SA and a good holster are my "safety". While I miss the feedback of a hammer upon holstering, the P99 remains one of my favorite handguns. After all these years, it still has one of the best stock triggers in both double and single action.

As a last note, if you pick up one of these and see spare PPQ M2 magazines, grab them. I can’t seem to find any of the PPQ M2 magazines in stock anywhere. I’m not sure if this was true before the release of the PDP or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't get my head wrapped around why I want a boxer slide and wider slide with serrations I haven't had a problem with before.

I'll buy anything Walther, but still not sure new/shiny does it for me over the PPQ...

"A German company using American gun violence...to sell guns."

It's called targeted marketing. They're targeting American gun buyers using concepts and scenarios that make sense to... well... American gun buyers.

125 years ago would there have been similar complaints about Winchester showing a guy with one of their lever action rifles facing down a pissed off grizzly bear?

Or would that have been A-OK because it's an American company showing an American critter trying to eat an American who's using an American rifle to defend himself... in America?

It wouldn’t make sense to continue both the PPQ line and this, especially given how similar they are in a number of ways.

If you have a PPQ and don’t want to upgrade you certainly don’t have to. Given the parts commonality between them you could keep your PPQ and have replacement parts and magazines for years to come. There are also a number of PPQs on the used market of someone really wanted a PPQ instead.

IMHO, there is too much overlap of features between this PDP and the PPQ to justify owning both. A higher-cap PPS would have made more sense to me anyway. The P99 is conspicuously absent from Walther’s current website and that gun is just too good to be discontinued. I’m sure Walther will sell a lot of these new guns, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Think I’ll wait a bit

Thought about dropping an order for one, but then I remembered the P320. Wish to avoid early manufacturing issues.

Thought about dropping an order for one, but then I remembered the P320. Wish to avoid early manufacturing issues.

I really don’t think it’s a comparable situation. The PPQ has been out for a decade and the P99 for decades. The P320, besides borrowing the module frame system of the P250, was a brand new design for SIG. This is more of an evolutionary step, imo.

Even so, when new models are introduced, there can be manufacturing “discoveries” that didn’t show up in prior models or in pre-production units. The P99AS was (still is) a fine gun, as I used to own one, but I’m not about to jump on a new model until any production bugs are worked out.
Seen that happen more than once and not just in the gun world.

I sold my PPQ M1 today. I really liked everything about it. However, I don’t like owning something I don’t know if Walther will continue to support (M1 magazines if the P99 were retired). With the seat being new too, the guts of the ppq and pdp aren't similar. By looks, with the ppq now discontinued , just makes sense to sell with more available buyers. (Lasted just the day fo 150 over new).

Glocktalk has a good picture of a PPQ and a PDP from the back and the comment was which one looks more refined—obvious answer being the PPQ. Again now owning an old generation just doesn’t make sense with how quickly things change by manufactures.

Right now I don’t know what to replace it with. I have a PDP in the shopping cart but the slide is just wide for no benefit for me who wants refined/small more than I want an optics mount. I think the trigger on the VP9 just doesn’t beat the walther and nothing else compares.

I’m starting to think if you don’t mind not having a large gun the P365 is probably the best gun out there right now. Since I don’t wanna go wider or bigger, it makes little sense to replace new PDP but not much stands out right now. Bummer.

I wouldn't personally have sold my PPQ in your shoes. You had magazines (I'm assuming) and you can still find M1 magazines and likely will for at least some time. A decent number of the internal parts are common and you'd likely go tens of thousands of rounds before needing to replace certain parts anyway. I can't speak to how much you shoot and how often, but it wasn't like the pistol was wearing out anytime soon.

Definitely dumb. But if it were like a gen4 to gen5 glock which glock is still making, I’d keep it. But keeping something discontinued was eating me. And like you said, nothing really is expected to go wrong, but the fcu is different.

I want to think the P365 is going to get hk and walther to step up. All we got was the Hellcat though.

The pdp went wider and less sleek. Eye of the beholder but being a huge walther fan, I could be more bummed by the whole deal.

Probably will get the pdp in the next few days. But still...

Watch out VP9 lovers, cdnn is big with them right now. Typical of guns going to a new version just like the ppq and many others. Maybe hk is coming out with something soon.

Sellers regret but more disappointed with walther’s junk upgrade of the ppq

Back