New video. The Bill Akins draw.

That's the part which got me started, which prompted me to rewatch the movie.

My 5.5" Remington is also loaded and so I'd not try spinning it.

Great video (again) Bill. The Fist of Guanto segment is pretty cool too... really enjoyed that "Archimedes Screw". It's a little hard to catch, but if you study it the right gun spins forward and the left backward! I'm thinking there's some kind of weight shift offset that might make it easier than both forward or backward from a stationary start, eh?

spacecoast wrote:

Great video (again) Bill. The Fist of Guanto segment is pretty cool too... really enjoyed that "Archimedes Screw". It's a little hard to catch, but if you study it the right gun SPINS forward and the left backward! I'm thinking there's some kind of weight shift offset that might make it easier than both forward or backward from a stationary start, eh?

Thanks Spacecoast, glad you liked it. But that particular draw wasn't the "Archimedes Screw" draw (Archimedes screw draw is the same as my draw). The actor's name I taught my draw to is "Brahm". His "Fist of Guanto movie character's name is Archimedes from Syracuse. I know....it sounds like a Greek name and city from an old Hercules movie. ("Great Hera! Please help us Odysseus, Archimedes and Hercules, the Minotaur is attacking the people of Syracuse!" Lol).

Brahm did my butt forward from the holster draw, in a screen test video and decided to call it the "Archimedes Screw" draw,.... playing on the name of his movie character and the famous Greek engineer Archimedes, (who's famous screw was used to draw water uphill). Months ago he sent me a link to the screen test video of him doing my draw, but I don't think it's up anymore.

There's not really a weight shift involved with Brahm spinning one revolver forward and the other rearward at the same time. What is involved is a bit of split concentration to do both at the same time, since one hand's finger will be rotating in one direction, and the other hand's finger will be rotating in the opposite direction. Awkward at first, but easier once one gets used to it. Easier and quicker for him too with those '73's short barrels (less weight, less inertia and a shorter overall rotational distance due to those shorter barrels) compared to my '60's 8 inch barreled ones.

What is involved is if you want to spin rearward, you push your spinning finger/hand forwardly and then upward, exerting pressure of your finger forwardly against the inside of the trigger guard. If you want to spin forward, you pull your finger/hand rearward and then upward, exerting pressure rearwardly against the inside of the trigger guard.

Watch my longest segment of slow motion spinning towards the end of my video. Notice I spin rearward and also forward. Notice the motion of my hand and finger. For forward spinning my finger exerts rearward and upward pressure, in a somewhat circular cranking movement.

For rearward spinning my finger exerts forward and upward pressure, and the same somewhat circular cranking rotational movement, ....only in the opposite direction. Both are a somewhat rotational almost "cranking" type movement,....only in opposite directions. My slow motion spinning really allows you to see the difference, which really is just my finger rotating in opposite directions.

4V50 Gary
Staff wrote:
That's a pretty neat draw! Pull, flip, grip, bang!

Thanks Gary, glad you like it. I developed it in the early 1980's. Around '81 or '82.

Last edited:
Wow, such a nice video!

Also, I LOVE your sideburns! :D I am trying to grow mine out but I doubt I'll get them to look as good as yours.

Model12Win wrote:

Wow, such a nice video!

Also, I LOVE your sideburns! I am trying to grow mine out but I doubt I'll get them to look as good as yours.

Thanks Model12Win. Glad you enjoyed my video. I have my sideburns because I'm also an actor/entertainer who does Elvis and Tom Jones impersonations that you can see at these below links. Being blonde, (mostly white now at age 61) I fill my sideburns in with black water proof mascara, and do the same thing to my eyebrows, and wear makeup and black wigs for my Elvis and Tom Jones impersonation shows. After my shows, I have to remove the black mascara makeup with baby oil and scrubbing. I have a degree in dramatic arts and have done many community theater, college theater, dinner theater productions, as well as commercials, t.v. shows and one movie. These days I only do Elvis and Tom Jones impersonations regularly when my agents book me and I don't push my entertainment career too hard and am semi-retired except for my passion for inventing/patenting things in the firearms field (Bumpfire stocks/Akins Accelerator). I need the sideburns to portray both Elvis and Tom Jones in the 1970's since both Tom and Elvis had big long sideburns like that in the '70's. Different wigs though. Curly kind of "afro" style one for Tom Jones and another different one for Elvis.

Some of my showbiz pics.
https://www.facebook.com/bill.akins.566/media_set?set=a.452254670069.241242.730600069&type=3

Some videos of me performing as Elvis.
https://www.facebook.com/bill.akins.566/media_set?set=vb.730600069&type=2

Just did this below surprise Elvis performance video at my home on Sunday for a birthday party we put on for several family members (My stepson's 40th and his aunt's 60'th). My friend Ed "Digital Ed" from Go Active Media was there and video'd it. (Same guy who video'd me doing my cowboy spin draw and demonstrating and shooting my .22 caliber Stoeger Lugers).
http://vimeo.com/119096723

I invented and built that battery powered "No strings attached" (I call it) Karaoke guitar, so I can instantly walk in performing with it playing the music tracks while I add my live vocals on the microphone. Been using it for 20 years doing Elvis shows where it was inconvenient or problematic to set up my large sound system. That's actually my second model in the video and I have an even lighter weight third model I currently build. I build them for other Elvis impersonators and entertainers too. I'm always tinkering, building or inventing something. The guitar is actually a real guitar that has been modified to contain a battery powered sound system and player and gooseneck microphone so the performer can perform totally wireless and walk around singing. Can't tell you how many hundreds of gigs I've done with that. But I digress.....yes my sideburns are a necessity for the shows I do. They also work well for and go along with the period in time/era for doing cowboy spin draw videos too. :)

Last edited:
BlackPowderBen wrote: Hello, nice draw Bill!
Are you using a left hand crossdraw holster, or just a left hand holster?
Thanks!

Glad you liked it Ben. Both my holsters are cheapo straight hang regular holsters that I reverse and force angle forward for my butt forward draw. I really need to get a custom rig built that is already built at an angle and doesn't move around on my belt when I draw. That will increase my speed and stop the holster from moving around on my belt when I draw.

Back