New to Turkey Hunting, Thoughts on an Inexpensive, Yet Effective First Turkey Gun???

Facebook message.

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

I picked up a box of Remington 3" Nitro Magnum #5 shot Turkey rounds to try after they were recommended by a friend. I tested out some 2 3/4" Remington Express XLT high brass rounds in #4 shot. Aside from a little more punch at the shoulder, I didn't see any improvement over basic target loads with the XLR's. I haven't had a chance to try the 3" rounds yet. Both in 20 gauge.

I wouldn't go lower than a number 5 because they may not have the juice to put the bird down. Nothing worse than hitting it and not killing it.

And yet, on another forum, there is a guy that uses non-tox 9-1/2s and kills them at 35-40 yards with fast lethality.

Always three sides to every coin

i like calling them in. That's the thrill. Blowing them up, well not really. If I do shot, I use a .22 Savage. Head shot.

I__00428.jpg

There is a huge difference in what size shot is advisable in lead and heavier than lead non-tox. I wouldn't use #7 lead, but it works great in HTL shells.

Ended up wrapping the 870 in mossy oak gorilla tape. I tried a vinyl wrap kit but every time the temp fluctuates it started trying to come off at certain seams. Aggravating to say the least. The gorilla tape holds much better and actually has a better quality finish. It takes less work to form fit than the vinyl. Only downside is more seams, but if you do your part it still looks fantastic. Went with the break-up country and one roll did the job for a little over $5. Now I also just received my Undertaker choke by mail and I'm extremely satisfied with the results without spending a lot of extra $$$. Shooting Remington Premier High Velocity Mag #5 in a 3" shell I'm averaging about 98 pellets in a 10" circle at 35 yds. Filed down the bead and stuck a hi viz rib vent sight on the front. Good pattern and point of impact for the densest portion of the pattern is about 2" high and 1"-2" to the right. Still pretty darn close and acceptable killing accuracy. By next season I do want to mount a reflex or dot optic though. For a total investment of about $225 (includes gun, choke, camo wrapping, sight, and ammo,) I'd say I'm in the game!

Back