New to the forum!

PatrickBateman

Hey everyone!

Im pretty new to guns. I lived in Jersey my whole life and just recently moved to Wisconsin where gun laws are alot more... "lax" for lack of a better term. Im 19, and I am looking to make my first firearm purchase. Over the past few months I've done nothing but lurk forums and read gun magazines and reviews trying to find the right one for me. So I would come here to ask for some opinions on which gun I should get as my first. Im kind of on a budget (less than $600), and I initially was drawn to a Revolver (Taurus 608-6 in .357 mag), but I find my self more drawn to semi autos as of late. My main issue now is the caliber. Im leaning towards 357 sig, but am also strongly considering 9mm, and 40s&w. I would be using this gun for open carry, and home defense until I turn 21 when I can get my Concealed carry license. Any suggestions on firearms, ammo, or anything are greatly appreciated! Thanks for having me on the forum, and sorry for the long introduction. If you took the time to read it, thank you!

PS: Mods, if this is in the wrong section, sorry!

If at all possible, try to put a couple bucks away every week and get something other than a Taurus. Quality control with Taurus is hit-or-miss (you can read that in plenty other threads on this forum), and their customer service is, shall we say, "spotty."

YMMV

You will gain from opinions and advice, but more may be gained by renting/or otherwise shooting as many choices as you can. There is a somewhat personal aspect in the purchase, use, and ownership of a weapon, which often is the deciding factor.

Welcome to TFL! Members here are always willing to pass along advice and opinions which I think you will find beneficial. Just keep in mind that these are based on our own personal experience and preferences. Time and again you will hear that the best advice is to put effort in to trying any gun you are interested in and draw your own conclusion regarding what is most suitable for you. As already stated there is no pat answer about what works best for everyone. The discussion of these differences is what keeps TFL such a vibrant forum and makes it so interesting to be a part of.
Best, Bill

.357 Sig is technically a GREAT round and many LE organizations were buying them by the hundreds over the last couple decades. But that's changing now and ammo cost is a big factor... 9mm and .40 ammo is cheaper so .357 Sig production numbers are dwindling. Used .357 Sigs are getting cheaper to buy now... Especially during the last ammo-buy-up-scare when .357 Sig ammo became very scarce.

So, due to that general scenario, I'd stay away from buying a .357 Sig now especially as a first gun. I wouldn't recommend a Taurus either. I say try to find a range with a large selection that will let you try out a variety of guns on the same day... (Some do!)... Shoot a few rounds out of a dozen different guns and go from there.

I believe the 9mm would be an excellent caliber for your first gun. If at all possible consider renting or shooting someone else’s gun to see exactly what you like. While most people can get accustomed to any gun there is enough variation in ergonomics that some just fit your hand much better than others.

Obviously do some research on these models, but in your price range consider the following.

SIG SP2022
GLOCK Models 17, 19, 26
Springfield armory XD line of handguns
Smith & Wesson M&P line
Berretta Storm or Model 92

At the end of the day there are many more choices, but these are some that I either own or have heard good reports on.

Last edited:

Welcome to TFL, Patrick ! !

For well over 40 years, I've suggested 2 things for someone new to firearms.

*First & foremost - Search your state's Natural Resources/Hunting.Fish & Game website for (free) Hunter Safety classes near you (even if you don't intend to hunt), so you can learn safe.competant handling of a firearm.

(Optionally, contact a local gun club for firearm safety & gun handling assistance - most will be glad to help)

*Second - Start off with a .22LR, so you can practice your gun-handling skills while getting trigger time, simultainously.
That way, recoil, etc won't cloud your experience.

(If funds are an issue, the .22 can later be sold/traded to get whatever floats your boat.)

Quick/instant gratification well may hurt you more than help.

You will find out that choosing a firearm is much like choosing anything else - YMMV - so, what's great for someone else might be the pits for you.

Best practice indicates you would be best served by handling (in a gun shop) and/or (preferably) firing different samples to determine YOUR druthers.

Good Luck !

Whatever you do, don't use our advice to go all crazy like your chosen namesake.

I would definitely go with 9mm as your first. As others have said, the .357 Sig is not quite as popular as it once was. I feel it's going the way of .45GAP.

I've been into guns my whole life and just now thinking of getting a .357 Mag for when we go camping. That would really be my only need for such a large/powerful and expensive caliber.

Welcome to the forum.... !

Stay with 9mm to start with if you go semi-auto.../ if you want to go with a revolver go with a .357 mag and you can shoot .38 spl's in it.

Brand of gun isn't important....but go to a range that rents guns - and fire several guns before you buy ( it'll be the best $ 50 you've ever spent )...and it may prevent you from buying something you'll hate down the road.

Welcome to both the forum and my home state! If you haven't already received your free wheel of Colby cheese, please contact your local alderman ASAP.:D

Since you are new to guns, let me make a suggestion right off the bat. Get yourself a nice 22LR(Ruger 10/22 for a rifle, or a Ruger Mark III for a pistol would be my suggestion) and work on technique and shooting discipline. Both will run you around $200, and you can practice cheaply while saving up extra money to get your carry gun. As for my suggestion: Find a range around you(depending on where you live in state, i'm sure some of us can help you with that) that rents guns and find what you like best. Find the price point for that gun and start saving up.

Your choices are going to be limited by your age. If I understand correctly, at 19 years of age you will not be able to purchase a handgun from a federally licensed dealer (FFL). You may be able to purchase a used handgun in a face-to-face transaction, but you should check your state laws to be certain.

In general, 9 mm is a good first pistol because it provides good defensive abilities with relatively light recoil and (in normal times) the lowest ammo cost among the center fire calibers.

My recommendation for a 1st handgun would most definitely not include anything chambered in .357sig.

For a 1st handgun, I'd certainly recommend a .22LR. If you're committed to a pistol chambered in a centerfire cartridge, I'd recommend something like a service-sized 9mm Glock 17. As others noted, the 9mm is the most affordable and shootable SD cartridge, and if you're later inclined, you can buy a G17 .22 conversion kit to go with it.

The best piece of advice I can give is that if you are going to buy any handgun other than a 22 rim fire, get a reloading kit as soon as possible.

Loading your own ammo will save you a whole lot of money and you can shoot a lot more rounds per $ of your budget. If you will shoot more than about 8 boxes a year the reloading kit will pay for itself very quickly.

PatrickBateman,

I think your use of the word lax does not represent the majority opinion of gun owners in Wisconsin. We tend to view less government interference in our gun rights as a good thing not a negative.

Welcome,
For $600 you can get a new Glock, Ruger, Walther or any manner of used guns that will be way more reputable than a Taurus(I have owned two of their semi autos and NEVER again). Some people get "good" ones I guess but I find it best to steer clear. As far as caliber goes all of my semi autos are 9mm. It's easier to find and relatively inexpensive.

Patrick- If I remember correctly (from another thread), you're up in the Oshkosh area. Find a local range that rents guns and try as many as possible. I'm not familiar with ranges in your immediate area, but I know for certain that Midwest Shooters in Lomira has an indoor range.

22lr is a good choice, but eventually, you may want to move up. If I could do it all over, I would of started with a 4" 357. I don't regret starting with a 9mm though.

There are a TON of options in the $600 range, so take your time making your selection.

a 22 would be a good choice for a start but the 22 ammo seems to be pretty scarce around here. I would suggest a 9mm as a start so you'll have your SD covered as well as learning to shoot and observing firearm safeties.

This site covers a lot of popular 9mm pistols.

http://www.best9mm.com/

Everyone has their opinions and my opinion is you would be best served with a revolver. As a first time gun owner you just cannot go wrong with simplicity and reliability of a wheelgun. Granted, most handguns sold today are semi-autos but if you are not willing to practice on a regular basis it should not be relied upon for self defense. There are so many things you can do to make it inoperable in a panic situation such forget to click off the safety or rack a round into the chamber or accidentally drop the magazine. Don't get me wrong, I own and rely on both and love shooting both.
Insofar as caliber choice, those that suggested you start with 22lr were correct it is the best place to start. The problem is if you want something for self defense you would soon be buying a larger caliber handgun and that might not be in your budget. If you skip the rimfire then I would suggest a revolver chambered in .357mag/.38spl. If you decide on a semi-auto then the 9mm is a great choice. I get a feeling it won't too many moons before you at least one of each.
Good luck and have fun!

I don't know how it works in Wisconson, but a stated by others, in Idaho, a more gun reasonable state than some others, you will not be able to buy a handgun until you are 21, which affords the opportunity for you to research meanwhile. When I was 19 I did not have much expendable income to devote to the firearms pursuits, and once you start you may find it habit forming. Don't buy a gun because it is popular or cool or because a guy behind the sales counter likes it. Personally, I have found I like steel guns. They are heavier, but that helps with managing recoil and follow up shots. I also prefer hammer fired guns over striker fired guns, shoot best with single action trigger pull but can appreciate double action. If you are lucky and do your research, your first handgun may well be one you keep for a lifetime. I still have mine and shoot it semi regularly. It is a CZ SP-06. A steel framed gun in .40 cal. It is snappier than a 9 mm and for that reason, I thin a 9 mm is probably a better choice for a first pistol. I would recommend giving the CZ a try, the CZ 75 is a fine 9 mm pistol at a reasonable price point.

Back