New to shotguns advise needed

Who breaks safetys? Seriously?

Not everyone. It's just the new plastic design of the mossberg safety over the old metal design isn't as good.

I think it has to do with pressure on the detent ball and how much you use the safety.

Mine didn't break and I had it for 15 years but when hunting with gloves on for pheasants and other game with the safety on in the winter it was a bit problematic quickly switching the safety.

I really prefer the spur safety I have on it now and it's only a 5 minute job to change it.

It has easily paid for itself and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. It's a sound investment and doesn't hurt your wallet for long.

The BPSs are very good guns - I had three that never missed a beat - but I could NEVER grow fond of the bottom only loading. Don't like Ithacas for that and other reasons. I greatly prefer the ergonomics of an 870. You could probably score an excellent used older Wingmaster Magnum (for waterfowl) well within your budget. It will also shoot 2-3/4" mouse fart loads easily. The Expresses are built to a price point, and I don't like the looks, but they are also the same basic design and should go forever. The Mossberg pumps work, but are also inexpensive and tend to look it. I tend to agree with the remarks about the plastic safety, mainly because they are quick to crucify the 870 for anything but that safety gets a Mulligan.
You might find a used Remington 11-87 in your budget as well, and it will do everything you want also.
I say avoid any bolt action like the plague unless you want a slug specific gun. I think they handle like a fence post, but opinions vary.

Lower Priced Shotgun

For all the things you might do with it, I would agree with the group about a couple of things:
1. - Get one with interchangeable barrels (expensive in the long run) or with screw in chokes. Of get one with enough barrel material to have screw in's out in, which today are not an expensive proposition. You will want Skeet or Cylinder Bore on the Skeet Field and Full or Modified on the Trap Field and some others for 5 stand or Sporting Clays. Single barrel is the least expensive to do this with.
2. - For sporting use, you will be handicapped with a pump. I love model12, but today they are pretty pricey. Not that there are not great performers shooting pumps, but for starting I would stay away as a Game gun. So I would suggest an autoloader. Lower priced Over and Unders are just that. Save up and get a good one if you get into it.

There are thousands of Remington 1100s around. 28" with a Vent Rib and Rem Choke. Might want to consider a 20 Gauge. For casual Trap it is OK, but not best, though for Skeet, there are a lot of shooters shooting 20 gauge in the 12 gauge event as well as the 20 gauge event. I have one sporting model 1100 in every gauge. (16 gauge one is a VR Field). plus 6 O/Us.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

I love 1100s, but for a one gun man wanting to shoot everything he has mentioned, you need 3" and light load capability, and that restricts you to an 1100 Magnum and extra barrel(s). I say 3" because most people shoot steel for the costs and are not fortunate enough to get less than 30 yard decoying shots all the time. I have multiple 1100s and multiple barrels and shoot the expensive tungsten stuff, so I'm perfectly happy.
An 11-87 is 99+% an 1100, and will handle the 3" loads, and though you may possibly need to add an oversized O ring to function like the barrel seal activator on the SuperMag version, they will also digest the light target fodder. With some looking one might also find a 3** series Beretta that will shoot everything within the budget as well.
I think a gas semi is the way to go for a beginner trying to concentrate on hitting clay birds. The lesser recoil will likely be appreciated as well.
Or, a standard 1100 and a $300 Steel Shot barrel. Almost forgot that and I have one.

...a gas semi is the way to go for a beginner
trying to concentrate on hitting clay birds....
My Model-12 would ague with that. ;)

The guys I shoot skeet with swear (literally)
that it's self-loading on doubles at #7. :D

I can shoot my Wingmaster with no problems, but I have been doing it for 50+ years, too. I have seen a lot of beginners struggling with pumps with everything else they are trying to remember when the birds fly.

Notwithstanding the concerns cited above, I would still recommend the new shooter start w/ a pump action.
The action itself is mechanically simpler, is itself near automatic starting with the natural recoil, is generally
second nature by the end of a single box of shells, and provides more reliable extraction/cycling under
'less-than-perfect' conditions.

My advice to the New Shooter if still unconvinced?
Have anyone you know let you shoot one.

A big factor of recoil is gun design. My wife can shoot my 12 gauge Stoegger o/u all day but it hurts for her to shoot my Marlin 55.

Back