New to shotguns advise needed

Tauruspt92AF

Inactive
I am currently looking to purchase a shotgun for the general use of range shooting, clays, and possibly going out hunting with my brother in law in the future (most likely waterfowl/smaller animals). I own a couple pistols but know very little about shotguns so I have a couple questions in mind. I like the pistol grip tactical version type shotgun but I noticed I haven't seen people use those hunting before and I was wondering if there was a reason behind that. Ex. illegal, too heavy, harder to shoot ect. I notice that there is a large price difference between high end and low end shotguns (as with all guns) and since I am looking on the lower end $400-600 if there was certain things i should look for on the shotgun such as weight, barrel thickness, rifled barrel, ect. Two things that I definitely want in my shotgun are for it to be 12 gauge and for it to be either pump action or semi-auto. Other than that all advise welcome and thanks for your input.

Tactical stocks are generally for the movies and range idiots. Since you want a lot out of one gun, I'd get a gun with removable chokes or interchangeable barrels. Unless you plan on shooting far with slugs stay with a bead sight.
Have you considered bolt actions? They are surprisingly not awkward like you'd think.

Last edited:
Ignore Tacticool. There is is a reason that classic designs are always with us:
They work.

I will always say Winchester's Model-12 first (if you can find one)
Years ago I would have said Remington 870 as best substitute.
Today, however, get a Browning BPS

Last edited:
I will echo support for the mossberg or browning bps. The mossberg will have good package deals with hunting/home defense barrels (waste of money IMO) or better yet a bird barrel and a rifled barrel for shooting sabot slugs. The action bars on the mossberg will undoubtedly rattle, so if you don't like that then get the BPS, which is a better built (but more expensive) gun in my opinion.

Browning BPS Hunter model....is my go to gun choice for a pump gun / I've had this model in 12ga and a 20ga since the 1980's ....and they've been thru a couple of boys and now some of the grandkids ...and still going strong ( maybe 50,000 shells thru the 12ga alone...).../ both with 28" barrels.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43354&d=1236031619
-----------
Specs on the new BPS Hunter model with a 28" barrel is a good choice for an all around shotgun...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=011B&cid=012&tid=211

list is $ 700 ....but they're selling new in most areas for between $ 575 and
$ 600...especially this time of year with a lot of sales going on.
---------------------
The BPS has changeable screw in chokes, solid actions ....they eject out of the bottom so hulls end up at your feet - easy to clean up in the field / the safety is on top of the Tang...so its much easier to reach and operate even with gloves on in the field...they're "cast neutral" so a leftie or a right handed shooter will find they "fit" them pretty well.

Not a high end gun ....just a good basic pump gun.
-------------
I'm not a big fan of the Remington 870 pump guns - especially the low end models like the Express...or the Mossberg options / they've both cheaper than the Browning BPS --- but in shotguns, and most guns, you really get what you pay for in my view. Eventually both of my BPS pump guns --- will go to one of the adult boys / and on to the grandkids...and maybe even another generation or two down the road.../ and while the old Rem 870 Wingmaster models were fine solid guns ...the cheaper 870's today, will probably not stand up to that kind of generational usage...( in my opinion ).
------------
If you want to look at a serviceable semi-auto ....look at the Browning Silver line of guns....

They have a Silver Hunter model as well... / that sell new for around $1,000 in a 3" chamber...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=020B&cid=011&tid=350
-------------
Pistol grip shotguns...have a number of disadvantages to "wing shooting"...in my view...where "follow thru" are critical skills...the separation of your hands on a pistol grip seem to change the swing dynamics of the shotgun / and make it easier to drop the elbow on your trigger hand side ...where you're not using good gun mount fundamentals...( both bad things when you're shooting flying targets....).../ if they worked - you'd see more of them in the field, but they don't ....

Last edited:
The main use for having a pistol grip on the stock is for the kind of shooting at a three gun match.
Rapid fire with aiming.
For the more usual instinctive style of shotgun use, the traditional stocks are more suitable.
Rifled barrels are for sabot slugs.
As for the quality of gun required, it depends on how much use it will get.
Unless you're going to be a serious clay bird shooter, the low priced guns will last a long, long time.
Shotguns are made of large parts and operated at relatively low pressures.

The only failure I've ever had with a 500 was the safety button.
Replacing the original plastic one with a metal one has cured it for nearly two decades.
And it was hardly new when I first got it.
It was meant to just be a temporary one, until I could afford something better.
As it turned out, there's never been a need to replace it.

If you want to shoot clays, note that most clays ranges will not allow the use of a tactical type shotgun. Longer barrels are usually required and pistol grips are forbidden.

I'm still on my first plastic safety- still working since 1981.

Look, just get a solid, basic gun and work from there. The Mossberg combo with two barrels is a good deal.

Great advice given here. My first shotgun was a Mossberg 835 that had been excellent as a general purpose shotgun. A Mossberg will give you more options for aftermarket parts than the Browning if you decide to change things down the road.

I have a 590A1 and like it. Unlike the other Mossberg models it comes with all metal parts (as others have noted, the main problem with Mossbergs is that the cheap, plastic safety switch is prone to breaking, but with the 590A1, you obviate this problem.)

The mossberg 500 is a great platform and if you're worried about the plastic safety many people sell better metal ones for $20 and you don't have to be a gunsmith to install it. I have one that has a kind of spur on it to make it easier when pressing the safety while pheasant hunting in the winter with gloves.

propicpm262.jpg

Oh yeah Mossbergs customer service is great so if you break that plastic safety they will probably send you the safety, ball bearing and screw for free.

I needed a recoil pad and spacer for a 500 youth 20 gauge and customer service sent me all the parts for free. Didn't even need to pay for shipping.

Wow, Thanks for all the great advice. So definitely no pistol grip for me, and I'm leaning towards the Browning BPS hunter, looks nice and from what you all have told me I won't have to worry about reliability. An extra hundred dollars or so in the long run will be worth it, Thanks again.

What store ??.....

...........you will either find the Browning BPS's in stock at a number of the big box stores ( Cabela's, etc ).....or most local dealers will order whatever you want...?? / the Browning BPS comes in about 10 different models...so no one store is going to have every model - although its common for them to stock one of the BPS Hunter models in a 12ga with a 28" barrel...

Who breaks safetys? Seriously?

The BPS is the cream of the crop for Pumps. But over twice the price for a 500 or 870. I have a BPS in 10ga. It is absolutely beautiful with its gloss walnut stock. Fit n finish are superb. That being said all my mossbergs are built really well too and function perfectly. I use my 835 almost exclusively now. Tuff to beat

Back