New to me SP 101 357 mag

I bought both too. Still liked the 2.25” better and sold the 3”.

Good to know. My "logical" side tells me the 3" will better at taking advantage of the power of a .357 and will give a finer sight picture, but I also know it's only a 3/4" difference.

Purchased a 2.24" SP101 in 2001 or 2002 as my first handgun. Can not remember exactly what I paid for it but it was probably in the mid 200s those many years ago.

That revolver will always have a special place as long as I live. However age and arthritis makes it a tad painful to shoot 158 gr 357 mag. I now shoot 125 gr 38 spcl and 357 mag in it as I have other pistols that can go heavier with comfort.

You got another good one!

My SP 100 is made well and handles .38 special cartridges just fine, in my opinion too little and too light for magnums. Accuracy is not what i would expect even from a short barrel, my buddy has a 3" Smith that will shoot in the same hole while my Ruger is good for 3-4" at ten yards. My Smith 66 with a 4" barrel wiil handle both 38 and magnums, both quite accurately, and is more pleasant to shoot.

Kenny53...

Photobucket used to be a great place to host photos but lately they are asking for some serious money to use their services. I can't view your pic because while I have an account, I haven't paid the fee.

I have since moved to postimage.org. This service is actually free. It's a bit confusing to set up your account but once you have it set up, it's far easier to use.

Then again I'm 81 so everything is a bit confusing to me.

Last edited:
Photoshop used to be a great place to host photos but lately they are asking for some serious money to use their services. I can't view your pic because while I have an account, I haven't paid the fee.

I have since moved to postimage.org. This service is actually free. It's a bit confusing to set up your account but once you have it set up, it's far easier to use.
* Photobucket * I used to be a Photobucket subscriber, too. Had my pics there for quite a few years.

When they started to raise a fuss over 3rd party hosting, I canceled my account and moved everything over to Flickr. I'm very happy there. Works great, and it seems to be more intuitive and easier to use than was Photobucket. In order to post pics without extraneous tags showing up before and after the pic, I have to do some trimming to get rid of some unnecessary HTML code, but that's the only bug that I've found. I had to do the same thing with Photobucket.

Since we're talking Ruger .357 Magnums...

GP100

35468588432_2ae4ddee2c_c.jpg

Security Six

34795686144_36d2e5900e_c.jpg

^^^^^^^
Many thanks for pointing out that I meant "bucket" and not "shop" DUHH

May as well post a pic of my refurbed Security Six.

Back