New to me SP 101 357 mag

kenny53

Went to the Cross Roads of the West gun show in Salt Lake City.
My only intention was to look and complain about prices. I was doing just fine accomplishing this. Then I walked up to this one table. There was a SP 101
SS 357, 4" barrel. It was looking pretty as could and hardly any wear marks. It was test fired at the factory in March 2015. So for $400 out the door it came home with me.

Excellent choice & purchase. I had the SP101 2.5" 357 mag revolver and found it to be a very good carry. Is this a carry revolver or just a plinker or for hunting?
BTW, you got this at a very good price.

400 bucks is a great deal. I'm a huge ruger fan and have owned just bout every model of revolver they make. Take care of it and it'll serve you a lifetime and probably more after. I have the 2.5" and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Great revolver at a great price.I have one in 3" now for a couple of years and absolutely love it. One of my favorite carry guns and super accurate for range use..You'll enjoy it....

I have that same model. I hated the factory grips - caused a blister on the middle finger of my right hand from where the trigger guard hit. I switched to the Hogue and I'm much happier.

We want pics....

SP101 is about the same size as the old Security Six. Actually Service Six is a better comparison because of the gutter rear sight. Very nice sized revolver. I would mainly use it for .38 Special though.

Great gun, I just picked up a 2.25” SP101 last month for the same price. I really want a 3” as a woods gun, but I couldn’t pass up the deal so it looks like I’ll probably end up with a 2.25” and a 3”!

I took it to the mountains today. Fired a bunch of 38's and some full house 357 mags. What a hoot. No accuracy test just shoot an old log at about 10 yards. It shot well and felt good.

This will be an occasional carry gun and a full time plinker. I will try and figure out how to post pics.

20170923_124608.jpg.html

While I love a 4 inch .357, I don't see how an SP101 with 4 inch barrel beats the 3 or 4 inch GP100. A slightly bigger gun nets you an extra round and softer recoil for better follow up shots.

That's for daily conceal carry. I'm not saying I see no point to or dislike the 4 inch SP101 in .357. To me... it'd be a top notch kit gun or survival gun.

For $400, I probably would have bought it myself.

Great gun, I just picked up a 2.25” SP101 last month for the same price. I really want a 3” as a woods gun, but I couldn’t pass up the deal so it looks like I’ll probably end up with a 2.25” and a 3”!

I bought both too. Still liked the 2.25” better and sold the 3”.

Back