New to me Smith and Wesson model 52-2

I bought one, many years ago, when I lived in Toronto. A police officer, going through a divorce. Yes a good price, cash. At that time I lived in an apartment with my Son. The trigger was not the best! A phone call to S&W, Springfield?
And off it went. At that time I ran a Rustproofing company, as I was there 9 am till 6 pm. I used that address as a return address.
It was returned in the mail, with the muzzle sticking out of that box! Not damaged in any way! A miracle.
The postman said it came that way in his bag? Cleaned and lubed, as I only ever used factory wadcutters, off to the range that night. An indoor 20M range.Two clicks to the right on the rear sight. The first two rounds, side by side 10 ring. I think the hammer dropped at 3 lbs. Why indoor? Canada, aye!
That was my match gun, till I discovered the European 22LR/.32 rimmed cased revolver rounds. Interchangeable slides, same frame. Made in France, do not remember the name. I loaded the centre fire. Swagged 90g soft lead totally enclosed wadcutters, ahead of 1.5g of 700X. A Dupont powder. Loaded on a Star progressive machine. That was made the same year I was, 1935!
Sorry to slide off the mod. 52 S&W story.

I had one I bought new back in 70s. I forget what I paid for it but was a tidy sum for the day. In fact I was heavy into Target pistols and had several. Got into Win m70s and traded most off. I just bought a 52 and two 41s in last 5 yrs. I had to pay from $800-$1000 for them. Not that bad when you compare 1970 dollars to today’s buck.
I cast my own WCs and have selection of molds in 38cal. My standard bullet is Lyman button nose WC in 52, the HBWC is my load for K38.

I've gotten interested in target pistols in the last few years myself. I glommed a Model 41 a few years back and it really accurate. Hoping for the best with this one

One the finest production handguns ever made, I’m a h-u-g-e fan and I’m very passionate about this model. Here is the cut ‘n paste of a discussion I penned up on another forum, originally written on 5/26/2017.

The S&W Model 52: My Biggest Regret in Handgunning!

Haha, misleading subject line was intentional and a little bit dirty but it is TRUE just the same, please let me explain.

I started shooting later than many "life long hardcore gun guys" as shooting wasn't much in my family history. I was pretty darn serious with BB guns and quality air rifles by 13 or 14 but didn't fire my first real shots until the Spring of 1988 as a 15yr old.

My first handgun shots were with a Ruger Single Six and a 1952 Colt Challenger (a Woodsman variant) and to close out my first ever shooting day: a four-inch Ruger Security Six stoked with 158gr JSP, .357 Magnum.

Folks, I was hooked -- well, beyond hooked, I became a handgunner on that day and a S&W Model 17-6 and months later a six-inch 686-3 became my first two handguns. (of course I still have them!)

This trip down memory lane is necessary to detail my biggest personal regret in almost 30 years as a hardcore, dedicated and passionate handgunner:

I bought my first S&W Model 52 in November, 2015 as a 43-year old man. :eek:

Okay, maybe I didn't "need" a Model 52 when I was 15yrs old. Or even when I was 22. Agreed. But waiting until 2015 to finally convince myself that maybe I need to try this iconic pistol and see if it might be something I like...?!

Yeah. Sincerely, my biggest gun related regret wasn't selling something I now miss like many will claim, my regret is how many years went by before I ever even put my hands on a 52 just to catch a glimpse of the brilliance.

We have many 52 discussions in the semiauto forum -- run a search, bump an old one or start a new one, I don't need to detail what makes a 52 special in this particular post but if nothing else, take a lesson from my lost years between 1988 and 2015: if you don't know about a Model 52, please ask to handle the next one that you see in person. See if you also pick up on the magic that surrounds these pistols. They simply are NOT like other pistols.

In about 1990 +/-, I had the opportunity to purchase a new 52 at a gun shop I purchased a couple of shotguns and ammo from. Don't recall the $$, but was plenty high. All but said okay and then I looked at the costs of the 148 wad cutters and changed my mind - regrettably. Sometime shortly thereafter, I did buy a 14-4 (8 3/8") and have loaded many, many 148 wad cutters since.

Back