New to Me Gun Day - S&W 65

I carried a Model 65 for a few years before my agency transitioned to semi-autos. When my oldest daughter expressed her desire to have a gun for home defense, her wish was fulfilled on Christmas day these many years ago. Mine was/hers is a Model 65 with a 3" barrel. My son-in-law dispensed with the Tyler grip adapter and installed Uncle Mikes rubber grips. I have to admit, the "new" grips feel pretty good.

My daughter and her husband have also "transitioned" to autos but the Model 65 still stands guard in their home.

Last edited:
I keep a Model 65, loaded with .38 spl +P Gold Dots, as my basement emergency gun. I bought it well-used, but in good condition. This thread reminds me that I haven't shot it in awhile. Need to get it to the range. :)

I have a model 65 just like yours and it does have an Uncle Mikes grip on it. Mine was a police turn in from GB I paid $280 for several years ago. Mine shoots to POA with any 158gr bullet. At least very close. I shoot more of the 158gr Laser Cast SWC bullets in 357 cases with 6.6grs of Unique. Its my favorite mid range 357 load that should be getting just over 1100fps. just like the old 38/40 loads.

And don't worry about the forcing cone. Just use the heavier bullets. They are more accurate than the light bullets in all my 38/357 guns anyway.

I learned to reload with a model 19 and I shot every hot 110-125 grain bullet load I had powder for. And I never had any issues with the forcing cone in that gun. And I went shooting 2-3 times a week back then.

Back