new to me BP revolver

You'd do well to get an adjustable powder measure. That way you can try various loads to see what gives you the best accuracy and then you could make a powder measure that drops that amount.

But you don't need one. Yours will work just fine as is, but without testing you won't know what your guns prefer or do best.

I've not tested mine to find out what's the most accurate. I began with a charge I figure to be the minimum for hunting (30 grns) and worked with that. I found the most accurate useful loads. But if I recall you mentioned these were just for targets/plinking.

Congratulations on your new purchase!

I have to ask or perhaps i just overlooked it in your post but where did you find such an amazing deal?

I've been looking for another BP revolver, probably in an 1858 or 1860, but mostly just see them on cabelas and the like.

Don't be too scared of those brass frame revolvers. As long as the charge is kept down in the low 20s it should shoot for a long time before the brass starts to stretch. Probably last for more rounds than most BP revolvers are ever fired in their lives. Nice find.

Seamus

I finally got out the feeler gauges and on the Spillar and Burr that looked like it had been fired, between the frame and the barrel, the .004 fits with .005 too tight.
On the Old Army that was not fired, the .010 feeler gauge fits and .011 is too tight.
The replacement cylinder that I saw at Cabellas in Northern Indiana, was a little too tight to fit all the way into the frame.
I have read that for modern revolvers .006 to .007 is the target, so the Spillar is tight and the New Army is loose.

I assume when you fire the gun and things heat up, the brass frame should expand more than the steel cylinder and barrel so the gap would, perhaps, open up?

When I got an old Iver Johnson in .38 S&W with a huge barrel to cylinder gap, I pulled the barrel, machined one thread width of thickness off the face (so the front sight would index), then took off a couple thousandths off the barrel face until the cylinder fit, then worked a bit off the face until I got to .006 with the barrel torqued so that the front sight lined up.

I have not test fired it yet so don't know if there are forcing cone issues.

Last edited:
Back