new to me BP revolver

archangel2003

Well, for $75 ($112 out the door) was what it cost.
The Barrel stamp looks like it has the letter Y that could be the remains from "Italy".
The hand written note refers to it being made in Italy for Navy Arms, but the red tag mentioned the Dixie Gun Works Catalog.
The only ID are the 3 numbers on the barrel.

It look just like the gun Clint Eastwood used in the final scene in Pale Rider.

I assume it's an older Italian copy of the Ruger style Old Army?
In my youth I foolishly let go of a Ruger Old Army that I got new for cheap.
Can't upload pictures because of a missing security token?
No clue, so let's see if photo-bucket still works.
http://s911.photobucket.com/user/archangel2003/library/Old Army?sort=3&page=1
They had a brass framed 36 cal that looked a lot like it but the cylinder mount was not the same.

I don't see where you get a Ruger Old Army out of that. It's a brass frame Remington and from the lack of markings it was probably a kit gun. Keep powder charges under 20 grains to keep it from beating itself to death.

It's a Brass framed Remington New Model Army (1858) Italian Reproduction. The brass frame won't last too long with heavy doses of BP. But for 75 bucks I would check it out and make smoke till it quit. Then clean it up and hang it on the wall. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm tempted to go back and get the 36 cal one as well.
It looked like it's twin from a distance with the brass frame and all but the cylinder did not come out like the 44 did.
Should have taken pictures of it.
I was hoping for a pair of them to complete my Apocalyptic/Eastwood gunfighter fantasy, lOL :D

Last edited:
but the cylinder did not come out like the 44 did.
Does that mean the cylinder pin is stuck, or is it maybe a Colt and not a Remington?
Judging from this conversation so far, it might be prudent of you to review the safe loading and shooting of black powder revolvers.
Doing it incorrectly can be possibly very dangerous.

Does that mean the cylinder pin is stuck, or is it maybe a Colt and not a Remington?
Judging from this conversation so far, it might be prudent of you to review the safe loading and shooting of black powder revolvers.

Kinda what I'm wondering. He couldn't tell the difference between a Ruger and a Remington. No offense intended, you have to start somewhere.

.36? Looks like a twin to a brass framed remmi from a distance??? Cylinder doesnt just pop out the same way??

Spiller&Burr.

C'mon guys jeezzee...

:p

.36? Looks like a twin to a brass framed remmi from a distance??? Cylinder doesnt just pop out the same way??

Spiller&Burr.

C'mon guys jeezzee...

Well I guess if a Remington can look like a ROA a Spiller & Burr can look like a Remington. :D

Well I guess if a Remington can look like a ROA a Spiller & Burr can look like a Remington.

Thats my story anyway! ;) :D

But yeah.. Seriously, .36, brass frame, top strap, etc... Has to be...Shrugs.

I have my Illinois CCW and am a former United States Marine so safe firearms handling has been hammered into me many time over the years.

The one and only unintended hole in our house was made by the wife who cleared her 9mm 1911 by cycling the slide to remove the round in the chamber, then removed the magazine,:eek: then pulled the trigger and fired the round that fallowed the one removed from the chamber.

From 20 feet away and my old glasses needing new shaped glass, and both guns being nearly about the same size and both having brass frames that were full frames with the top strap, they did look to be the same gun.
The new army 44 has that distinctive and easy cylinder removal method, and that was not the same on the slightly smaller 36 cal.
The design was slightly different, (not the wedge style either) and appeared to need further disassembly to get it out so I did not do an in-depth inspection as it was not my primary targeted acquisition.
Realize my only black powder revolver experience was with a Ruger Old Army and that was some 30+ years ago.
When I go back, I will get it and will post pictures.

BTW, there are no intended holes in the house as of yet.:D

Last edited:
I put a deposit down on the Spiller & Burr 36 caliber so as not to be put on the atf's multiple gun purchase list.
After taking the new Army apart and looking at it I don't think it's ever been fired.
All the nipples were loose and there was no croud on the threads.

I put a deposit down on the Spiller & Burr 36 caliber so as not to be put on the atf's multiple gun purchase list.

ATF multiple gun purchase list? With a cap and ball black powder revolver? The ATF considers them replicas of pre 1898 muzzle loading antiques which are "non firearms" under Federal law except for a few states that regulate them like New Jersey and Illinois.

Last edited:
Yep, what they say. I can walk into my local Cabelas and buy any BP firearm with nothing more than handing the cash over. Same with ordering online to my front door. No ATF interference. No different than buying a screwdriver.

Back