new to me 39A Mountie

Small update, it hates CCI ammo. Before 30 shells have fired, the lever gets gummy and very stiff refusing to eject cases. Had brass shavings around the slide action. Took it apart and cleaned it, good to go again. WIll try other ammo.

Otherwise a dream to shoot. At about 30 yards I can hit a 6" gong 14 out of 15 fast firing.

I had one just like the one with the receiver sight. I'd still have it, except that the top of the receiver was at quite an angle to the sides. Didn't notice it until mounting the receiver sight, and after a few years, I couldn't stand it anymore and sold it.

It was one of the most accurate hunting/plinking rifles I ever had, making about 1/2" groups at 50 yards with the peep sight.

I have a 1955 39A Mountie set up exactly like yours. Congratulations on that rifle. Would love to know when yours was made. $740.00 I would not have blinked at either. I paid $700. for mine I figure both are good deals. At least you can shoot it and enjoy it for a price that will be forgotten about anyway after one shot. Enjoy.

Thanks for the kind words. Parents came over for Thanksgiving and keeping (somewhat) with tradition, Dad and I had to shoot a gun. When we were both younger we always went deer hunting on thanksgiving morning.

Anyway, the Mountie was the only rifle I broke out with a few pistols. We both could hit a black 8" gong off hand at 100 yards about 50% of the time. Not too bad considering I lost my glasses and he wasn't wearing his at 73 years old. So glad I didn't let this one slip away. Zero regrets on the $$. Reminded me of being a kid and shooting my 10/22 with a box of shells just wandering in my grandpa's woods. Just didn't get any better than that, and it still doesn't!

First couple of months we were married in 1965, we lived at the family camp in Vassalboro, ME. It was early September and all the neighboring camps were closed up. I'd go out in my skivvies with my Mountie in the morning and shoot red squirrels out of the oak trees around the camp. That used to tick my bride off because she was afraid people would see me. Ha ha!

Back