New to IPSC, looking for entry level set up, please help a Newb

From the USPSA rulebook
Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length = .38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)

Caliber is bullet diameter. So, 9mm Makarovs and .380 are below minimum as well due to case length. 7.62x25 makes power factor, but not the minimum caliber, kindof like my Automag III in 30 carbine. :D

Lee

What to shoot

Being new to Pactical shooting, I brought my 92 Beretta. It seems to me that the hammerless pistols (with very modified triggers) have the advantage of all shots having the same great trigger. I have a D spring in my 92 but it still has significant trigger pull on the double action shot. I examined a Glock today . The trigger was as light as my Model 17 S&W revolver, which is under 2 lb s/A. I love the 9mm hammer guns but the odds seemed stacked when the first shot has to be DA. Am I wrong?

Are you wrong? Well the old "it depends" is about all I can say. No matter which you use it still comes down to sights and trigger. There are guys that run with all the other top shooters, beating them on the national stage, using 92's. Personally I think the biggest mistake newer shooters make is jumping from a gun they are familiar with and shoot comfortably to what others are shooting thinking that is the difference.

Custom Paras and all are really neat and all, but I repeat: shoot what you have. Show up with what you've got, ask what division it's legal for, and sign up for that division.

Custom whatever's are nice to have, but you have no need to think about such things when you first start. The rules are about the gun, but the game is about the shooter. That's you.

My Springfield Armory 1911 in 9x19 works with eight mags.

My EAA Witnesses (three, in 9x19, 9x21, 40 S&W, 41 AE, and 45 ACP) all work exceedingly well with at least six mags for any chambering.

Bring any reliable gun in any scoring chambering; bring six magazines.

How's this

Here's a perfect find for you. The link has pictures. I know the guy and he's a master at USPSA and IDPA. Let him know Young sent you. :cool:

CZ 75B
-Competition sights (Front/Rear)
-Competition hammer
-Trigger work done by Springer Precision somewhere around 6-7lb DA/ 3lb SA
-Stainless Mag Break
-Thin Aluminum grips
-Houge fingerlock grips
-6x 16 round magazines (2 w/ bumper pads)
-Blade Tech Holster w/ teklok
-Blade Tech dual mag pouch w/teklok
-Original box/papers

$750 for the entire package. This gun is ready for Competition or carry with a trigger that can only be rivaled by a 1911. All work was done by Scott at Springer Precision.

http://www.seattleguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6204&sid=56c29ce0b0a29a614d8fe41ea2043e62

Back