New to hunting/muzzle loaders

Whats your guy's opinion on hunting from the ground? It looks like a lot of people out there prefer tree stands especially on public hunting land.

Thoughts?

Hunting from the ground is fine. That's where the animals are.

If you plan an all day sit and it isn't cold a tree stand can be great for safety but also the opposite since you can fall out. The tree give you a better view most of times it just depends on how much stuff you want to carry.

Climbing tree stands are good for not having to bring lots of things. Ladders are even better but a pain to move so it's better for private/permanent.

I haven't shot a deer in a tree/from a tree in about 15 years. But i'm also 5 for the last 5 years from the ground.

I am a tree/elevated stand hunter here in NH I hunt from a tree, I do not like still hunting or sitting on the ground. I prefer a lock on stand in a hemlock tree, it offers great cover for any small movement you make and keeps you in shadow just about 100% of the time. I dont go up high, maybe 12 feet or so but I have shot 8 deer in 10 yrs from the same tree and most within 40 yds with my ML. Just wondering KVON, where are you located?

You're much safer in a tree, and it's less likely the deer will see or smell you.
You will also be able to see farther in most cases.

Potentially a dumb question...

I'm looking in to crow hunting as well. If I am in season and have my hunting license, am I good to go on any public hunting land?

I'm looking at one of the most popular public places near me and the website mentions it's a popular site for deer and ducks, no mention of crows. I'm sure there are crows there but would there be any reason I could not hunt them there?

That depends entirely not only on the particular state you are in but also in the particular piece of public land you are on. There is LOTS of variability in the hunting regulations from one place to another. The only way to know is to start with your state's wildlife agency and work from there.

I will have to agree with Doyle, you really need to check local hunting regulations. Crows used to be classified as nuisance animals but any longer I do believe they are classified as migratory of some sort and are no longer open season year around as they used to be here in NH. In NH we get to hunt them for 2 or 3 weeks in March and then about 90 days in the fall. As far as where to hunt them in your state, I would imagine if the season for them was open then any place legal to hunt would be good to go. Be advised, Crows are very smart and do not decoy or fool very easily but they can be fun to hunt.

If your Department of Natural Resources, Fish and Game or whatever is available in your state has an email address they might be able to answer some of your questions quickly. Wisconsin has a really good DNR live chat giving really quick answers.

Once thing I learned from crows besides them being smart is there isn't as much meat as I though. But if I get a chance again I'll shoot a bunch and make kabobs.

We did a little of ground and hunting out of a climber in the watershed. I killed a spike on the ground with my .270 but preferred my climber. You can find rock ledges and hollows to overlook as well to get around being in a tree up there. It keeps your scent above them better. This was 1999 and climbers are a lot smaller and lighter now. Mine was a bear to hump around the woods. Snyper, it's not like eastern NC. There are no real safety issues on the ground. Maybe a timber rattler or copperhead but those are rare. Almost no yotes and no bear. The first morning I hit my stand here in black bear country it was a lot more spooky.

Snyper, it's not like eastern NC.
There are no real safety issues on the ground.

I would think any time you're hunting deer on the ground on "public land" there is more danger than if you're hunting from an elevated position, no matter what part of the country.

There's no way to know who is where.

Combine that with high populations and short seasons and you often get lots of inexperienced hunters feeling a lot of pressure to shoot something.

Last edited:
The Traditions Buckstalker is a great gun.

Mine likes a Winchester shotgun primer, 100 grains of Black MZ powder and a 250 grain SST bullet in the crush rib sabot. Using that load my gun makes neat 1.5" five shot groups at 100 yards.

I currently have a Savage 10, a TC Omega, and a CVA Apex. The Savage 10 is miles ahead of both of them on velocity and accuracy. Omega is much more accurate than the Apex. The trick to the Savage is using a Sabot that the smokeless powder will not melt.

Back