New to Black Powder and have a few questions.

I've had both Pietta and Uberti. I like them both. And as far as soft screws on a Pietta? well I haven't noticed because I use screwdriver bits that FIT ;). IMHO an 1858 Remington is about as simple as it gets for a beginner. And seeing as how Cabelas has them with an extra cylinder for 249 bucks its a no brainer. With a 1858 I load three cylinders off the gun, then swap em out Pale rider style and Make a whole BUNCH OF SMOKE! :D Not a thing wrong with an open top, but for me when I was a beginner I chose the Remington FIRST then moved to the open tops. And 1860 Army is about the SWEETEST shooting and POINTING revolver there is.

*******deerslayer runs and ducks for cover as the NAVY guys start throwing things......................................................:p

I really like the Uberti Pockets. I prefer the cylinder of the Police, but the barrel assembly of the Navy. But I'd get a Police just because I'd want the 4.5" barrel.

Since hunting doesn't seem to be a use, though small game can certainly be had if you're up to it, it's as good as any I'd think.

Are you intending on using round balls or conicals?

What kind of powder are you leaning towards? 3F is ideal for pistols, especially the smaller ones with shallower chambers, though there are some who use 4F. I'm not sure I'd want to do it, and there are many who will claim it dangerous, though I've read (and have) some research on Civil War paper cartridges and it was found the .44 cal with a conical was loaded with what seemed to be 4F and of Swiss powder's strength. This was a small powder charge though (<20 grns IIRC).

The Uberti Pocket Colts are excellent guns and lots of fun. However, get Treso or Track of the Wolf cones and cap issues are less likely to ruin your day.

So.. Did some research, maybe my google skills are rusty but I'm having some trouble with a question! There are two Uberti pocket pistol styles, one with the loading lever and one without.. So which is better and why? :eek:

As a side note, I like to camp and hike and think a BP revolver would make a fun backpack/carry gun. Any reccomendations? Would stainless be a good option?

So.. Did some research, maybe my google skills are rusty but I'm having some trouble with a question! There are two Uberti pocket pistol styles, one with the loading lever and one without.. So which is better and why?

Think about it a minute......

Loading lever on the gun makes it easier to load than one without a loading lever. The Baby Dragoon models you would have to take the pistol apart & use the arbor on the frame to press the ball into the chamber.

Back in the day, they did not have loading stands

Back