New threat to gun ownership in Illinois

I think that a firearms card is nonsense to begin with. Now, the kitty is out of the burlap. If Illinois residents had fought that issue in the first place, maybe just maybe, they wouldn't be on the defense now. Seems like just another back door gun ban to me. Much like the "micro stamping" foolishness. I am not knocking Illinois residents. All I am saying is you folks in the Land of Lincoln better address this issue before you wake up one morning and find out they suspended your right to own a gun because you have too many parking tickets.

JP

Being an Illinois resident, holding an FFL and FEL, I kind of got a good idea where our rights have gone. The FOID portion of our mess is a joke to start with. It only says who may own or be in possession of a firearm. It doesn't tell who has them, what kind, how many or anything else. The card isn't even accepted as a form of ID even though it is put out by the Illinois State Police. Some assume the FOID to mean they can carry. WRONG.
-Just a few years ago Illinois was called "The Sucker State"(after a particular type of fish). Then it was "The Prairie State". Now it's "The Land of Lincoln".
-Maybe they had it right the first time.

As important as my gun rights are to me, the gun issue does not trump everything else in my life. When you are in your 60's and still need to work, changing jobs is not a serious option. I have three of my four grown children, and 6 of my 8 grandchildren, in this area, so moving back to Texas where I used to live is not a real option (I know that my wife would not move away, and after 40+ years of a good marriage I hesitate to just throw her away!). I fear that at some point it will come down to staying legal or keeping my guns, and at that point I would have to take my chances with the legal system. I do have a non-resident carry permit from Pennsylvania, which I understand is recognized as valid in Indiana, and they are just a short ways away, so maybe I do have a good option when I retire from work.

Back