New Taurus TX22 1st impressions

triplebike

I purchased one yesterday. Local LGS was selling for $309. Comes with two 16 rd mags & a tread adapter. First impression out of the box, extremely light ,well made (everything seemed nice & tight) with a VERY nice trigger. Rear sight is adjustable for elevation & windage and its a white 3-dot setup. My only complaint out of the box was that the front sight felt flimsy for lack of a better word, but I'm really nitpicking here. Went to the range today with 100 rds each of CCI mini mag round nose and hollow points, as well as Federal bulk. 300 rds fired with one failure to feed and one to eject. Not bad for a brand new firearm. Accuracy is well above my pay grade, but let me just say that's its way above average. Recoil is literally nonexistent. Sights are ok for a 300 dollar gun and its nice that the rear sight is adjustable & I did tweak it a bit. Front sight held up just fine. (LOL). The mags are a bit tight but I did feel them start to loosen up. Having 16 rds is a blast by the way. Overall the gun was an absolute joy to shoot very accurate, very comfortable and I'm more than thrilled with it.

Last edited:
I have watched a couple of you tube videos on the TX22. Nearly 100% positive reviews.

I think I NEED one of these!

How easy/hard is it to clean?

Joe

Thats where it really shines. Takes about 10 seconds to remove the slide, barrel and recoil spring. Just as easy or better than field stripping a center fire. Trigger group is basically sealed and Taurus says theres no need to go any further. There is a youtube video that's shows a breakdown with removal of the striker assembly.

Were they going to release the TX22 without a manual safety as well? Really like the capacity over the usual 10 round .22's on the market, and the trigger has been getting good reviews.

Put another 250 rds through it today & it was flawless. Damn accurate & a blast to shoot. I really do like this handgun.

PS. mags have loosened up nicely.

Nice!

I love my Walther PPQ .22 but cleaning is a bit of a chore.

Can this new Taurus be equipped with a red dot?

I HATE cleaning my Walther P22! I am about ready to throw it away.

Joe
I have the PPQ in .22, which is a different model than the P22. But cleaning still requires unscrewing the barrel and I'm so used to easily disassembled guns that it irks me :)

Triplebike calls it accurately.

I have over 500 rounds through mine and have been completely satisfied with its performance, particularly its accuracy, reliability, and nice trigger pull.

BOARHUNTER

Thanks for the info and range report, I might be interested in one of those pistols.

I have the Ruger MK III and had a MK II in years past. I was looking at a S&W Victory, because I wanted something different. I know the new Rugers are easier to break down and clean, but it looks like the TX-22 is very easy to clean. That's always a plus for sure.

I might let them get the bugs get worked out of it (if there are any, better Sights?) and take a serious look at the TX-22.

Well, I'm not all that interested. I have a 6" S&W 422, it is all the .22lr handgun I'll ever need, unless maybe if I ever desired to shoot competitively, and I'm too old and my eyesight isn't good enough anymore. Crisp single action trigger, barrel and sights are fixed together like a revolver. Shoots ragged hole groups. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Poor man's Model 41.

OhioGuy: If the sight isn't mounted to the slide, but the frame, it isn't a problem. But does that apply to this Taurus? Doesn't look like it it me. Granted, I use my 422 with the original sights, but there would be no such problem with that if I had chosen to go with a red dot, given its design. The slide is *under* the frame, thus you'd be mounting onto the fixed frame/barrel itself.

Opinion: From the looks of it, it seems that from the design of the handgun that it is intended to be a "trainer". A .22lr meant to emulate an actual self defense weapon. In that role, it could very well have a viable niche. As a .22lr plinker/target pistol? I kinda doubt that it would stand up to existing single action designs.

Back