New Smith Options

44 special is the best round I've ever shot! I wish it were more common, for snubbies. I don't guess there is much difference between it and 45 colt. If I had my way, I'd only have revolvers chambered in 44 special I like it so much. I also was more accurate with it than 357. 45 colt definitely isn't cheap, but I'm the type of guy I like bigger calibers. If I do end up getting a Smith in 44mag at some point, I'd likely mostly shoot 44 specials out of it. The Talo Deluxe 44 mag 3" Smith is a sweet revolver, good size, but not sure how it'd handle magnum loads lol.

I don't guess there is much difference between it and 45 colt.

Howdy Again

Left to right, the cartridges in this photo are 44 Special, 45 Colt, and 44-40. As you can see, the 45 Colt brass is significantly longer, as well as being slightly larger in diameter than the 45 Special. 45 Colt was developed in 1873. The case is so big so that a really hefty charge of Black Powder would fit inside. 44 Special was created in 1908, and contrary to popular opinion, it too was originally loaded with Black Powder. 44 Special is an elongated version of the earlier 44 Russian cartridge. Shortly after it was developed, manufacturers started loading 44 Special with Smokeless powder.

44Sp45Colt4440.jpg

After it became common to load these cartridges with Smokeless powder, the huge powder capacity of the 45 Colt became less of an advantage. Most Smokeless loadings of 45 Colt leave the case about half empty. Of course, the smaller diameter means there will be more metal left in the chamber walls and barrel of a revolver with a 44 than a 45, all other things being equal. Which is why Elmer Keith chose the 44 rather than the 45 when developing a large diameter magnum cartridge.

As has been noted 44 Special is a terrific cartridge, but there are not many revolvers chambered specifically for it these days. Although you can fire 44 Special in any 44 Magnum revolver, a 44 Mag is a bit overbuilt for the 44 Special. Before the 44 Magnum was developed in 1955 IIRC, 44 Special revolvers such as this Triple Lock were not quite so massive.

triplelocknickel05_zps00475b76.jpg

So, more power to you if you want a 44 Special, but you will probably have to load your own ammo for it, I can't remember the last time I saw any on a shelf.

Back