New Smith Options

kyguy1

Been considering taking the plunge and picking up a new production Smith revolver. Despite not liking the lock and all, people are still telling me they're very high quality..Things I like, besides being a big Smith fan..I like that they're forged not cast, I like that they have the full grips not tangs, and their resale value is good. Not sure which one I'd get, I really like the used ones, but leery of buying used unless I know where it's coming from.

Ones I'm considering: Model 60 2 or 3", 686 in 3 or 4", Model 66. I also like the Lady Smith and the Performance Cntr Model 60. Of these, not sure which one, but I like them all. Basically this would be self defense/home/defense and a semi regular shooter. I prefer one in 357 mag whichever one I go with.

Well, I have a few "new" Smiths and a few older Smiths... Aside from all of the "desirable" characteristics of the older Smiths, I don't think there is a dang thing functionally inferior about the new Smiths besides possibly a slightly heavier SA trigger break.

Having said that, IMO I think of the models you posted, the 686 is the best choice. I have owned a current production 686-6 with a 6" pipe and loved it. Only traded it away toward something I wanted more. Still want to reacquire a 686 again. A 4" L-frame carries pretty descent, albeit a bit heavier and bulkier than the m66, and significantly more so than the m60. Of the three it is the most suited to a steady diet of magnums and will be the smoothest shooting in terms of felt recoil on the shooter due to it being heavier.

My brother has a current production m60 with a 3" bbl. I found it to be quite a handful to fire magnums, very sharp and snappy.. (I own two 44mags and a 460, I'm OK with recoil) A good CC weapon that is lightweight, small, and packs a punch?? Sure thing... But playing with it at the range will wear on a person.

The m66: I have fired older m66 and own a m19-3 with a 4"bbl (same exact revolver as the m66 only blued steel as opposed to stainless). I think it is a nice compromise of relative ease of carry and concealment with better shootability with magnum loads. While many say the K-frames chambered in 357 mag were never intended to be fed a steady diet of such ammo, I find that mine is one of the most accurate Smiths in my modest collection when shooting mags for some reason. The trigger is THE best of all that I own be it DA or SA. I absolutely LOVE that thing. Having said that, I have handled a new edition m66 but have not fired one. There are things about it that I am not crazy about, mainly aesthetics..But most reviews I have seen of them have been favorable...

Again, this are just my opinions and may or may not reflect what constitutes the best choice for YOU. But bottom line, of the three models I would pick the 686.

Good luck in your decision and most of all, HAVE FUN! :D

I like the 627PC, 8 rounds and not as big as it looks. 3 more rounds than my J Frames and the same as my 1911, which is thinner, but otherwise the same footprint.

Pardon the poor photo.

ef3f361d-74ce-4c96-b3fd-85de07e91daf_zpslemuimv6.jpg

What do you want it for?

I've owned several of the "new" S&W's and have liked all of them. I'm just a gun trader by heart, so I'll sell/trade one to get the next "bright, shiny thing" so I don't have but one now, a 642 Ladysmith my wife wanted.

The one I liked the best was a 25-13 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. That was a sweet gun. Never should have sold that one.

I know it's blasphemy but I think the new Model 27's are as nice (maybe nicer) than the older ones...Yes, I've owned the older ones too.

BTW. I almost NEVER buy a "new" gun. While I'm sure people do get bad one's, that's never been my experience. Most guns get sold or traded because like me, someone saw something else they had to have, got bored with something, or needed the money. My rule of thumb is simple. If it looks like it's been taken care of, it probably has. Read/study the sticky at the top here and learn to judge a used gun. You'll come to really enjoy the hunt.

"Ones I'm considering: Model 60 2 or 3", 686 in 3 or 4", Model 66. I also like the Lady Smith and the Performance Cntr Model 60. Of these, not sure which one, but I like them all. Basically this would be self defense/home/defense and a semi regular shooter. I prefer one in 357 mag whichever one I go with. "

The Model 60's and Lady Smith will be in the smaller J frame, while the 686 or 66 is the K/L frame size. Any of those will fill your needs, especially if you decide to belt carry them. You need to handle them to see which frame size fits your hand better. I shoot a Model 60 3" and a 686+ 3" equally well at the range, but the 686+ is certainly more comfortable to shoot extended sessions with.

IMHO, it you plan to carry these daily, you should consider either the Model 60's, 2-3".

If you plan to carry occasionally, but use it mostly as a nightstand gun and like to put in a lot of range time. Then go for the Model 686+ or 66.

Last edited:
I plan on shooting it, using it as a self/home defense gun, and nightstand. Probably won't carry it every day, but will take it with me when I feel it necessary. I had a Model 19, was pretty nice, but had some finish wear, and was showing it's age, from the late 70s, nice gun, but not quite my cup of tea or practical. The nickel was wearing off and I prefer stainless on a gun anyway. I never shot it, so wasn't doing me any good anyway. So now, looking for myself a new Smith I can use for these purposes of shooting fun .357 loads out of. I looked at some Airweights, but they're way too light for me. just personal preference. I think I'm going to go with the 686 plus talo edition, it's a 7-shot, nice looking revolver with nice wood grips. My dealer had just one, but it was the display model, and I wanted a brand new one with the box and papers and he couldn't order it for me, so I had to go elsewhere. I think the one he had was a 4 inch. I hope to pick one up this weekend. Probably going to go with the 3" 686 plus talo. As of now that's the one I like. I really wish S&W would start putting wood grips on all their revolvers again. I hate rubber/pachmayer grips, they don't feel good in my hands, they make my palms sweat, and I get a better grip on wood (just me). Plus wood looks 100 times better in my opinion.

686's ( L frames ) are solid guns....and so are the 627's ( N frames )....I have an older 686 in a 6" - very smooth gun / and about a yr ago I picked up a pair of 627's ( 8 shot, perf center guns ) one in 2 5/8" and one in a 5"....both very good guns as well ( not classics like the older model 27's but solid carry or home defense guns...

Personally I find a 4" pretty easy to shoot and easy to carry. I like the 2 1/2" ... but that shorter sight plane makes them more difficult to shoot well,,,/ a 6" is a good woods gun, range gun or defense gun - but a little clumsy out of a holster....

Too many an older Smith to bother with a new.

^ This. A new-production Smith has to be pretty special for me to buy it. It really has to offer something novel that I can't get out of an older one. Otherwise, check out a Ruger. :)

Help me decide

I need some help deciding on a revolver. I'm looking for one I can have fun shooting with, and not worrying about it tearing up, I won't be handloading, just factory. Won't be hunting with it, just shooting for fun, and showing it off, cleaning it, and just getting enjoyment out of it. May use it for a part time night stand gun too. I know generally what I'm looking for. New, not used. Stainless, wood grips, No more than 5 inches barrel length. I like double action but really think I'd like to take a chance on a single action because I love the look of them. It will be either in 357 or 45 colt. I myself prefer larger calibers (over 40) because I just think they're cool as hell.

I can't decide to go with a Ruger or Smith. I'm a Smith guy, but I like Rugers a lot in terms of their solid builds and revolvers. But I have a major soft spot for Smiths too. I like that Smiths are forged, but the Rugers I've handled/owned have seemed very very solid so I wouldn't worry as much about it. I really don't like the locks on new Smiths, I haven't yet owned a new Smith so can't speak to their quality, but some I've seen look nice enough.

So help me decide guys. I really want a tough, good revolver I can have fun shooting with, use a nightstand gun, and also just have fun cleaning and showing it off. I'd go with a good 357, but I'm more drawn to higher calibers like 44 spl or 45 colt or maybe 44 mag in the right gun.

Specific guns I'm considering are the S&W 686 Plus Talo 3", S&W 629 Talo 3" 44 mag, the Ruger Vaquero in 45 colt 4". These 3 are pretty much the ones I like and have narrowed it down to. I'd also consider a 686 in 4". Frankly from what I've seen from a distance, the Ruger looks better made to me I am really drawn to the Vaquero stainless, that's a beautiful gun. Maybe I should just stop the second guessing and get it already. I've had my eye on that Vaquero for months. If I saw a nice S&W 629 new, I'd be hard pressed not to get it, I really love Smiths, but a little scared of a new one given the quality issues I've heard about. Help me decide lol. I'm afraid of getting a used Smith, because I'm one who likes to buy their gun new, and I don't feel comfortable buying used just yet unless I knew who it came from.

the Ruger looks better made to me..........

Howdy

Comparing the quality of a Single Action Ruger to a S&W is an apples and oranges situation. The designs are so very different that it is akin to comparing a truck to a passenger sedan. There is really no way to make a valid comparison.

For what it's worth, I have several 'original model' Vaqueros chambered for 45 Colt. Have a couple of New Vaqueros chambered for 357 Mag. Have a bunch of old Three Screw Blackhawks too. Ruger single action revolvers have always been very solid, dependable revolvers. End of story.

I have lots and lots of Smiths dating as far back as 1863. I buy used ones all the time. Just picked up a 38 M&P made in 1920 a few days ago.

For me, there is just no comparison to the new Smiths made with MIM technology to the older guns with forged and machined parts. But that's just me. I bought a 4", 7 shot 686 last year just because I did not have any L frame Smiths, and the price was right. Pretty much an impulse buy. First brand-spanky new S&W I have bought in 40 years. Just cannot compare the quality to what S&W was building 30, 40, or more years ago. But that's just me.

I'm always on the lookout for used Smiths. I have enough modern Rugers, but I am always on the lookout for Three Screws.

Worried about current S&W quality? Buy a new Smith and the mother-ship promises(in writing) that the gun will function properly or it will be fixed or replaced for free for the rest of you life. This includes the shipping to and from the factory. S&W produced around 2 million firearms last year, around a quarter of a million of those were revolvers........and we see what? Maybe a dozen or so legitimate claims of problems with new revolvers a year on these gun forums? How many times when there was a problem, do we hear S&W didn't resolve the problem?

I think you need to shoot more guns...and narrow down the caliber / and then pick a gun based on that caliber.

A .44 Mag or .45 Colt are not necessarily better than a .357 Mag for defense...its not just ballistics / its whether you can put effective fire on target quickly or not...( I have S&W revolvers in .44 Mag and .357 Mag...and I'm about 0.3 on followup shots in .357 Mag ( with a 2", 4" or 6" gun ) ... in .44 mag I'm at about 0.45 on followup shots in .44 mag in 3" especially ( if I remain tactically accurate )...and around 0.4 in a 4" or 6" gun ...

I like the .357 Mag a lot...and I think the 8 shot .357 Mag's the new 627's in the S&W lineup ( are stainless and have wood grips)...are very nice guns ( I have them in 2 5/8" and a 5" )...the 5" is easier to shoot ( longer sight plane and a little heavier )...but the 2 5/8" is fun too. 627's are N frames../ if you like the L frame (686) or K frame ( 66's )...and they fit your hands better than the N frames - then go that route ( I have K and L frames in 2", 4" and 6" as well..and they are a little small in my hands...they're fine for carry ...but I like the N frames better for shooting ( fits my hands better).

If you want a single action for defense ..then go that route / just understand the limitations. ( none of which may bother you )...

Vaquero isn't a bad gun...but its not a Freedom Arms single action either.../ but budget may be an issue. Check out the model 97's and 83's from Freedom Arms at least before you decide. They are fantastic guns.

To dovetail in with Buck460's above statement...which I wholeheartedly agree with...

I bought my 460V used a few years ago. I found that my endshake was a bit excessive. I emailed S&W asking what their endshake specs were and told them what I measured. They didn't just simply tell me I was at the limit, they sent a shipping label and instructed me to send my 460 to them. They fixed it free of charge even though I am the second owner! When a company like that covers a repair under warrantee even when they clearly are not required to, that carries alot of water with me.

So if you want to buy a new Smith, buy with confidence that if you happen to have an issue, they WILL stand behind their product. S&W has a customer for life with me.

I'm torn between Smiths and Rugers, I like both. I really like the feel of Rugers, they feel of very high quality. I had a gp100 and it was a nice gun, sold it at the time for a different one. People are always telling me, used Smiths, new Rugers. I'd say for the most part that's true. Rugers are extremely well built. For this particular gun, I want one I can shoot and have fun with and also keep on the old nightstand. So since I really like big bore calibers, and think the Ruger SA's are cool as hell, I am probably going to get the Vaquero in 45 colt. I've handled some of them and they're really well balanced and well made. That being said, I am in love with Smiths too. I have my eye on the 3" Talo 357 magnum, that's a nice all-around gun, or the 2" Model 60, for a more practical carry gun. I'd totally buy a new Smith, if it's the right one for me. The Vaquero will just be for a fun reliable shooter. For carry, probably going to have to be a Smith :) I really like those Ruger single actions for fun, but a good double action for defense/carry I'd go with a Smith. Haven't checked Freedom Arms out yet, will have to do that.

I prefer old smiths but they can be difficult to acquire. The new Smiths I've had seem to be great guns. No complaints from this guy.

Howdy Again

Just to clarify what I said earlier. I never said that S&W would not stand behind their product today and remedy any problems. I was simply talking about the quality and attention to detail of the current products vs the products they made 30, 40, or more years ago. I have been inside many Smith and Wesson revolvers. And I have been inside my 617-6 and my 686 that I bought brand-spanky new last year.

In my, admittedly very prejudiced opinion, the guns being made today just do not stand up quality wise, to the older guns.

I should hasten to add that the use of MIM parts and some of the redesign done to modern Smiths is not an intentional attempt to 'cheapen' the product. It is a natural outgrowth of attempting to drive as much cost out of making the product as possible. Smith and Wesson has always done that, going back to the beginnings of the company in the 1850s. Any company that expects to stay in business must do that.

For a pretty detailed examination of the differences between a modern S&W and one made in the 1970s, here is a post I put up on another gun board a few years ago.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/comparing-a-s-w-revolver-made-with-mim-parts-to-a-revolver-made-with-machined-parts.769929/

Went by a friend's local gun shop today and took my time looking at a bunch of different calibers and revolvers single and double. He had some really nice Ruger .22 LR's, blued, really nice guns, they were about 7-7.5 inches. Also had a nice blued Vaquero Birdshead, a 4 incher, it felt perfect in my hand, not barrel heavy at all, nice trigger, very solid. Made me think that the 4 inch Vaquero would be a perfect shooter. I gotta say, I'm considering the Blackhawk in .44 special too, talk about a sweet shooter. Having owned a Bulldog in .44 spl at one point, I'm sure a 4 inch 44 spl single action would be a hell of a lot of fun. But still leaning slightly towards the Vaquero in 45 colt.

Looked at some nice .38 special Smith snubbies too, very reasonably priced, would be perfect for pocket carry. So I'll probably go with the Vaquero and pick up a small Smith snubbie for pocket. Can't go wrong, although, it seems to me that the fit and finish and feel of the Rugers is better than some of the new Smiths I see.

Howdy Again

44 Special is a terrific cartridge, but if you don't reload you will have a tough time finding any factory ammo. 45 Colt is great too, but it tends to be more widely available on store shelves.

Back