New Smith and Wesson "Classic" Revolver Grips

here

JJNA, look here

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl...kered-Target-Grip-with-SW-Medallions&i=756404

Gander mountain item no 756404

I had the same exact question as you - where to buy these classic line grips - and from surfing around found these. They aren't advertised as such, but these are the classic line grips and not the ones in the S&W store. They look like the version with dark wood and bronze color medallions as found on the Smith Classic Model 48

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-48

That being said, I can't imagine why these are being sold anonymously like this at Gander Mountain unless they are just extras from a production run that are quietly being sold off. The ad does say they are factory Smith and that's it, no mention of the Classic line. I've not seen them anywhere else. A strange way to sell special issue items like this.

I ordered a set yesterday and can't wait to get them I love the factory vintage look of these grips. We will see if I receive the grips in the picture, there's always the chance the picture is wrong and these are something else.

Ps I know this thread is old - hope this info helps somebody out.

Last edited:
I received the set. Unfortunately, it fits pretty loosely on all the K/L frames I have. It's going back to Gander Mountain.

I received the set. Unfortunately, it fits pretty loosely on all the K/L frames I have. It's going back to Gander Mountain.

Aren't these just slab style grips (vs. insetted for the particular frame).
How can they be loose as they bolt to either side of the grip frame?

Perhaps try some putty in the pin hole so that they don't slide around and that should take care of the "looseness"

The inset appears to be for a slightly bigger frame. The two halves mate very well and precisely. But the whole thing shakes front and back by a couple of millimeters. All the other grip sets I have - SW factory, Altamont, Hogue, and Ahrend - fit snugly.

They are not wood but the have been super happy with my VZ K/L frame square bottom grips. They are much smaller then most other grips and fit me perfectly and although not traditional looking, I still think they look great.

The diamond cut checkering is aggressive and locks into your hand.

Just another option to try.

i have to agree with an earlier poster here and recommend the Tyler T-Grips

several years ago i just HAD to have a S&W model 40 Centennial (classic) with the case hardened frame (i think the case hardening was done by Turnbull, if i remember correctly) and the standard grips were from Altamont... i have bigger mitts, so the grips were a bit petite in my hand.

Added bronze T-Grips and it fits GREAT in my hand and really looks sharp too.
It does take a bit of patience to get an order processed with them, but it was worth it to me.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Nothing a little putty would not take care of.
Would you elaborate? What kind of putty do you use?

BTW, so far, I think I like the Ahrend Retro Target grips the best. I especially like the maple with light stain.

If there is space between the frame and the round spacer at the top of the grip inletting, you can use wood putty to fill so that the grips don't move.
Just use a little vaseline on the frame as a release agent, putty to fill any voids in contact, screw the grips together in place, let dry and that will keep the grips from moving.

If the movement is at the bottom because of the pin hole, use putty to make the hole tighter. Again, move the grips to be in line with the frame, screw tight, let set.

Back