New Sig P365 SAS

Doesn't a ported barrel produce lower muzzle velocities, something you wouldn't generally want from a 3" Barrell whose velocities are already on the low end? Or does it really not make much of a practical difference?

I suppose a standard barrell could be swapped into this slide, so the slide ports just look sporty but don't serve a purpose.

Looking forward to reviews of the new model! If this FT sight can approximate the simplicity of a red dot, but without the bulk, it really would be a truly awesome option for CCW.

Doesn't a ported barrel produce lower muzzle velocities, something you wouldn't generally want from a 3" Barrell whose velocities are already on the low end? Or does it really not make much of a practical difference?

I suppose a standard barrell could be swapped into this slide, so the slide ports just look sporty but don't serve a purpose.

Looking forward to reviews of the new model! If this FT sight can approximate the simplicity of a red dot, but without the bulk, it really would be a truly awesome option for CCW.
Agree, I never liked or wanted a Red Dot on a Carry gun. I think this new sight is awesome so far. And of course there will be a learning curve. I doubt here will be any sigificant loss of velocities. Just read where they tested a M&P short barrel and only loss 25FPS.

Agree, I never liked or wanted a Red Dot on a Carry gun. I think this new sight is awesome so far. And of course there will be a learning curve. I doubt here will be any sigificant loss of velocities. Just read where they tested a M&P short barrel and only loss 25FPS.
I have a micro red dot on my Walther PPS and like it, but the window is always getting covered in lint, moisture from sweat, etc and it gets grungy. I love the functionality but not the implementation. Again if this new type of sight gets me the benefits without the drawbacks, then I'll be hooked for sure.

Does anyone know whether you can use this sight while looking at the target, both eyes open? I think the biggest advantage of the red dot by far is the ability to focus your eyes naturally on the target without parallax problems.

I have a micro red dot on my Walther PPS and like it, but the window is always getting covered in lint, moisture from sweat, etc and it gets grungy. I love the functionality but not the implementation. Again if this new type of sight gets me the benefits without the drawbacks, then I'll be hooked for sure.

Does anyone know whether you can use this sight while looking at the target, both eyes open? I think the biggest advantage of the red dot by far is the ability to focus your eyes naturally on the target without parallax problems.
Do you not use both eyes open when using iron sights?

I don't see how this will allow the same functionality of a red dot. To me the advantage of the red dot is one focus plane and the ability to superimpose the dot on the target. Maybe I need to rewatch the video but I don't see how a guttersnipe sight allows that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've trained extensively to use both eyes with iron sights can have never achieved much success. Largely why I went to the red dot.

I've trained extensively to use both eyes with iron sights can have never achieved much success. Largely why I went to the red dot.
Fair enough. I've never had to overcome that as I naturally shoot with both eyes open. The only time it becomes an issue for me in terms of ignoring one of two sight pictures is very low light situations. My guess it has a lot to do with my vision, which is a combination of an astigmatism and cross eye dominance. As a fun consequence I shoot long guns left handed and handguns right handed and have done since I played with cap guns. In a way it's impressive how the human body can make things work naturally. I've gotten a lot better at shooting long guns right handed though and I think I could transition fully if I made more of an effort.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't see how this will allow the same functionality of a red dot. To me the advantage of the red dot is one focus plane and the ability to superimpose the dot on the target.

I will have to actually check it out but it looks like it obscures instead of superimposes on the target.

If it obscures then a rather substantial margin of precision is lost reduces the sights effectiveness outside of short ranges in the same manner as the larger the MOA dot, the less the precision.

If you watch Phil shooting the P365 SAS he has both eyes open and they do not flinch.

I am also wondering if we will see the SAS with the P365 XL and the longer slide.
Though Sig may feel that they...

* Do not Need porting on the XL
* Do not need the flush Take Down Lever and Slide Lock on the 365XL because it is really not considered a pocket gun like the 365.

So the SAS may just stay with the P365.
Though you would be able to put the P365 SAS Slide on a P365XL Grip Module.

I look forward to seeing the new SAS.
Until then I will keep an open mind to it.
I find it interesting and intriguing.

On a side note Sig went past 500,000 P365's in July (18 months) and still going strong!
Watching Serial #'s on another Forum Sig is putting out about 30,000 P365's per month...
That includes the P365, P365MS the P365XL and soon to be P365 SAS.

The rumor for the next P365 release is the P365XL with a mounted Romeo Zero Red Dot
You could say it is the P365XL RX.

Last edited:
If only someone had earlier raised the point of reduced velocity from porting earlier in this thread. :)

Generally, a ported barrel has the barrel velocity length up to the ports. So take the length of the P365 ported barrel up to the first port cut. That's the barrel length that builds velocity.

I learned a lot through Taurus revolvers. Taurus loves porting barrels.

This isn't totally insignificant. If you cut the velocity of the 9mm in a near pocket gun, velocity could be entering high 380 levels. At that point...the LCP starts looking more carry comfortable all to loose sights.

This is advertised for concealed carry. There isn't going to be magic with these sights. They will be less accurate than a rear front. How in the world would you control for forward movement if not?

Hard, very hard pass. And I buy all guns :)

Last edited:
There isn't going to be magic with these sights. They will be less accurate than a rear front.

* How do you possibly know that?
* Have you shot with them?
* Phil said that the new Sights improved his accuracy over the previous iron sights.
He called it an "Epiphany Moment" on the range!

The P365 is not designed for long range shooting so I think that the ported barrel is not going to compromise it's shooting accuracy and reliability.
Not to mention with the P365's +P rating you should be able to find the ammo that will satisfy your desired FPS velocity.
However if the ported barrel bothers you.. you can always put a non ported P365 barrel in the gun and now you have lightning cuts instead of ports.
You could even shoot the P365 SAS with and without a ported barrel and see if it compromises the P365 as much as you would think.

Shoot I may give it a "Hard Pass" too
But I want to at the least hold a SAS before I judge it to harshly or Love it.
At this point the SAS intrigues me more..
New things like this Sight and being embedded into the slide..Peaks my interest..
Hopefully there will be one at my next gun show..

Last gun I did a "Hard Pass" on was a huge Desert Eagle 50 Titanium..I did hold one at a gun show.
Gotta luv the 50 AE at the muzzle.
In reality I would shoot it a few times (as crazy as that seems)..but owning it..that's a "Hard Pass" LOL!

So Wild Cat..when you walk by a SAS in the future and I'm sure you will..
Go ahead and pick it up, take a look down the Sights, (you know you want to) feel it in your hands...then let Me / Us know what you think..an actual first hand impression..
You may still "Hard Pass" on it..BUT..how crazy would it be if you actually liked it?

Either way I wish you Well and the Best
Shoot Safe..Be Safe!

Here's that Desert Eagle..What a Monster! LOL

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/firearms/magnum-research-desert-eagle-50-ae-titanium-gold.asp

Last edited:
We know that a front sight controls the front.

The front of your barrel moves up/down left/right differently than your back.

The Sig P365 website links says it's all about conceal. Never once does it mention this is a target sight system.

And in any stretch of the imagination, a single rear sight on a long stretch doesn't control the front....because how can it?

A couple of Videos about the Meprolight FT Bullseye Sight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9mCK3hV1gE

I think that he gives a good explanation Pros and Cons and what to expect from a Meprolight FT Bullseye sight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S7J3o54HsY

I will say this..
If you are removing traditional Iron Sights Front / Rear from a slide in favor of this sight..in the end you can go back to traditional Iron sights should you want to.

With the P365SAS you do not easily have that option..
There is no front dovetail for a front sight and to add a rear iron sight you would need a rear plate to go into the slide.
It is a commitment to the Meprolight FT Bullseye Sighting System.

Again. I think you'd be able to trade the levers on a standard P365 for these reduced SAS levers.

You are totally giving up front sight precision.

Oh. And enjoy decreased velocity.

If sights are really too much...just rasp the extra metal around?

Back