New shooter using range time most effectively:

TheWanderingRed, don't be afraid of online purchases, there are plenty of good dealers online. A few in no particular order: Bud's Gun Shop, Jet Guns, Grabagun, J&G Sales, CDNN.

I started using a technique recently that I feel has helped me a lot at the range. I can't remember the name so hopefully someone can fill in the blank. Basically squeeze and release the trigger, applying more pressure with each squeeze until you let a shot off. This has helped me focus on the fundamentals and slow things down when I feel myself getting over eager.

Speaking of progress how am I doing as a bench mark? What can I do to track my progress more effectively? Or is what I’ve started to do enough i.e. keep careful track of my average group size and score?

You established your baseline, so monitor progress from here. For now, I think you should keep up what you're doing - group size & score. Again, I think a good goal would be to be able to consistently shoot in the mid 40s on an NRA target at the appropriate distance. At 50', 1.5" - 2" (or 3"@25) groups are achievable - it's not necessarily easy, but it is something Average Joe can achieve with practice. That's not world class marksmanship, but it's much better than anything most will see at their range. Your baseline is just under 40 at 21' on a 50' target, with a 4.6" group, so keep working to execute the fundamentals well, and start moving the target out as your groups shrink and score rises.

Add some variety by shooting DA & SA, weak hand, strong hand only, etc. The main thing, though, is to get a good foundation in the fundamentals. It can be boring and frustrating, so keep it fun, but working on the fundamentals now will pay big dividends later. Shooting well isn't easy, so be patient but persistent.

Either an eight shot new one, or an older 6 shot, but they never have any used at my LGS and I’m kinda afraid to buy a weapon on the internet. BTW do you think they’ll make the new sp101 8 shot blued?
Also what about the fixed sights on the Rough Rider or Bearcat? Would they be a hindrance to my practice? Or the fiber optic sight on the new 101?

I'd skip the cowboy revolvers if you want an understudy to your GP100, as the grip & trigger are so different. I wouldn't worry about buying new from a reputable on-line dealer. Buds Gun Shop is a good place to start looking.

A fiber optic isn't necessarily bad for target shooting, but understand that the fiber isn't the sight itself, so it'll be important to keep the sight - not necessarily the FO - in alignment.

Oh, and should I adjust the sights on my GP to account for my consistent miss to the right?

Since you're also tracking group size, I'd leave the sights alone for now. Until your groups tighten up & gain some consistency, you'll be chasing sight adjustment, and it'll be a distraction from your real job - sight picture/trigger control.

Hey Mr. Borland, thanks again.
Again, I think a good goal would be to be able to consistently shoot in the mid 40s on an NRA target at the appropriate distance.
So next time I go to the range I’ll push 4 targets out to 50’ to establish a base line there. Then I’ll concentrate on the 21’ (shortest allowed at this range, also the one with the most convenient marker) and continue tracking. When I pull my mean group into the mid fourty’s I’ll back it off again to 30’ or so and start all over.
I’ll spend the rest of my ammo on the remaining ten targets, and the berm.
A fiber optic isn't necessarily bad for target shooting, but understand that the fiber isn't the sight itself, so it'll be important to keep the sight - not necessarily the FO - in alignment
What do you mean sir? Isn’t the FO the front sight post? Just lengthened and made of light conductive material?
I’m selling my old junker prelude this week, and hopefully that’ll give me the money to buy an Sp101.
Or not. Just saw a site with a suggested retail of $675. I can close like a beast but on a brand new high demand weapon with a huge market, and one that’ll possibly have to be ordered? I’m not that good.
But thank you Sigcurious and Mr. Borland for the list of online sites to troll. I’ll start once I escape from work and have access to unfiltered internet.

So next time I go to the range I’ll push 4 targets out to 50’ to establish a base line there. Then I’ll concentrate on the 21’ (shortest allowed at this range, also the one with the most convenient marker) and continue tracking. When I pull my mean group into the mid fourty’s I’ll back it off again to 30’ or so and start all over.
I’ll spend the rest of my ammo on the remaining ten targets, and the berm.

Good plan, though I'd suggest starting with the berm rounds.

What do you mean sir? Isn’t the FO the front sight post?

The FO sits inside the sight housing. The sight itself, when viewed from the rear, still has the outline of a traditional sight, but has a bright circle sitting in the middle. Your eye is drawn to the circle, but you'll have to make sure the top of the sight (not the FO itself) is even with the top of the rear blades.

btw, in addition to Bud's, here are a number of other places to cruise...

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
http://www.jetguns.com/
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/
http://www.whittakerguns.com/

I would try using this target I attached below. I have found it very useful in diagnosing any errors on my part. It will let you know what you are doing wrong and you can adjust much easier.:D Just print as many as you want with your printer. If you do not want to use up all of your color ink, Do like I do and print in black and white only or better yet print one out and use a copy machine if you have access to one and crank out a boat load of them.
As far as the type of ammo, dont shoot up too much of your defense ammo at the range on paper. Just use your target ammo to get you fundimentals down. Maybe shoot a few rounds to know what they feel like and what to expect, God Forbid you had to use your pistol in self defense. Good Luck and above all HAve Fun!! View attachment XD Training target.pdf

Thanks again Mr. Borland. That’s a really good explanation of FO sights. Also I’ll start with the berm. That does make sense.
BulletbendeR: That’s exactly what I was looking for! The thing at the other range wasn’t a target, but the same concept. So I’ll print out 20 of these as soon as the service drive closes!

So, what type of exercises should I use?

The type you used in the professional training you take before going thru your own training on the range.

And most ranges don't afford the same opportunities, like drawing, holstering, moving laterally, moving to cover, reloading etc. Indoor ranges often have restrictions on rapid fire, which is something you need to learn.

The main point is to continue GOOD training that you've learn from a good source without making up your own. Range time would be an EXTENSION of that.

WaderingRed,
If you make it to the south side of the HRBT, there are a few gun stores I'd recommend if you're looking for that .22, or anything else for that matter. Bob's Guns off Granby St, Superior Pawn off Virginia Beach Blvd, and to a lesser extent The Armory off Indian River all have good selections. I love the guys who work at the Superior Pawn off of Little Creek, and have bought a few things from them, but their selection is much smaller.

Dry fireing is good.

Most new shooters want to get into the combat games before they master basic marksmanship. Practice the basics

Sight alignment, trigger control, breathing, muscle tension, feet position, body position.

speer used to make a practice round. It shot a plastic bullet, had a plastic case which you placed a standard primer in. It was loaded without tools. The report was about the level of a cap gun.

When I used them I shot into a cardboard box. We also used them on wandering cats. Stung them but left no lasting damage.

Good luck and remember HAVE FUN.

Back