New Rifle

PMsmith:
If the weight of the rifle is not am issue then any of theisted rifles would do well and allow you to purchase an aftermarket stock. That alone will alleviate the largest glaring issue most entry level priced rifles have....flimsy stocks. The Howa is a great value and if you check Brownells or Buds guns online you could probably find the barreled action with trigger and magazine for a sweet price then order yourself whatever stock you liked and fit your budget. I recently retrofitted a Savage 12FV in 308 and tinkered,bedded etc and it added a few pounds but it is a great shooter that gives me something to grow into.

Thanks! Does anyone have any experience with putting a Howa 1500 barreled action into a Boyd's gun stock? Price would probably be around $550....is this a worthwhile idea? Opinions on Howa's blued vs Cerakote?

I got a Weatherby Vanguard on a clearance for $249.00 maybe 4-5 years ago. It was the first rifle with a synthetic stock.

It still has the original stock and is a great shooter (30-06).

The Vanguard is made by Howa, or at least that one was.

I have 4 hunting rifles that can cover most any North American large game. The Winchester Featherweight in 30-06 always goes with me. The 300 WSM goes when I know I'm going to shoot as extended ranges and the .270 WSM goes when I dont want destroy the animal. The 30-30 goes when I know I'm shooting short distances in dense cover.

In my experience, the 30-06 is truly the most versatile out to 250 yards. Its light and I can pack it all day. It does slap you pretty good so I shoot it in a sled at the range to avoid developing a flinch. The 300 and 270 WSM's dont slap like the 06, they push my 300 has a muzzle brake and the 270 doesnt. The 270 is not an uncomfortable shooter. The 30-30 is easygoing but not much good after 50 yards. Its accurate but I'm not.

I think most will agree that the kick is the last thing you remember when you're taking game.

I'm a big fan of the 270 WSM and spent the most money on that rifle, a McMillan G30 Dynasty.

WSM Ammo seems to be plentiful and always available as does the 30-06. 30-30 not so much so I order the Hornady LeverEvolution from Natchez.

.308 and 6.5 are also easy to find. I have the 6.5 grendel which is not easily found. Both are on AR Style rifles. They shoot pretty soft by comparison and will get the job done but I think I'd rather have the 06 or 300 if I was going for bear and wanted to ensure the most ethical kill possible.

It's going to be hard to make your final decision so I suggest you dont spend a lot of money until you talk to more local hunters and find out what their preferences are.

Last edited:
Back