New Rifle

I'll also recommend you look at both thr Ruger American and the Weatherby Vanguard. I have the Vanguard and is a very good consistent shooter. The American has gotten very good reviews thus far.

Depends upon the wallet size and the level of masochism of the former owner, but in general true: I have ben advised against buying a varmit caliber rifle (.22-250 IIRC) just on the GP that it had probably had a bajillion rounds shot at prairie dogs out of it, and likely less maintenance than would be due such a round count......

You are right there! Rifle nuts like me and you may do it, and even then not by much, as the wallet does get in the way with the big bores these days. A box of Federal .450 Lott with TB 500 grain loads is $200.00 ... a rip off is my polite term of the situation! But, and there always is a but in life, I take care of all my guns, big or small...

Even slightly bigger can cost more, and less rounds are sent down range. A .308 is cheaper to shoot than a .300 Weatherby as an example, with easy to find cheap factory rounds and parts for reloading and, most folks won't shoot a Weatherby as often as a .308... For a beginner getting rounds down range is important for growth in the discipline!

Last edited:
There are reasons .338rum don't get shot a lot and for the same reason they don't make very good first rifles.
Any standard cartridge from .243 up to .30-06 will do fine and shouldn't tear up your shoulder.

I agree that iron sites will work for a new shooter. They may even be a better idea for a young person with good eyes. But the majority of used bolt actions come with a scope, so looking only for iron sights limits your choices.

Iron sights work, spend all the money on a rifle this year, get a scope next year.

My statement above has been misinterpreted by some. I only mean that you should spend the majority or all of your money on a quality rifle first, as that will last a lifetime. You can get a scope later, because you don't have to have one, that is a luxury that can wait. Iron sights are not a handicap to a good shooter, but a scope can make a good shooter better I agree. If you find a quality rifle with a scope for that money, you either have a questionable rifle or a questionable scope. Most good scopes cost more than what you want to spend on the rifle only. My tip was for long term use, and a top shelf hunting setup that will not only last, but perform. You won't have to make excuses, like, "This rifle is AS GOOD AS, because it is the GOOD that other rifle owners say their rifle is AS GOOD AS ... THAT IS WORTH SOMETHING, EH?

I second JT: Look at the Weatherby Vanguard S2. It has great build quality, a sub MOA guarantee, three position safety and great two stage trigger. I got mine for $429 at Cabelas with a bit of haggling.

The only downside is the weight compared to other hunting rifles. Also, if you do not like two state triggers, this may not be the rifle for you.

On a final note, avoid new Remingtons as the factory quality has dropped. If you like Big Green, look for a used 700 or Model Seven from before The Freedom Group / Cerberus bought them. I had a 1997 ADL in 30-06 that never failed to function, felt great in my hands and would shoot a hair over an inch at 100 yds. I wish I had not traded it in toward a new Model Seven.

Back