new rifle...model 94 winchester, pre 64?

I have two 1894's..one 1961 and one 1941..their awesome!
No, you don't. You have two Model 94s. Winchester quit making 1894s about 1927. Up to that time they were marked Model 1894 (on the barrel and on the tang), after that time they were marked Model 94. Anything after about 1927 or so is a Model 94. Not only do they look different, they feel different.

FNH sells the Model 1894 made by Miroku (not Winchester or FNH). And, FWIW, it is even farther from the original than the Model 94s (rebounding hammer, angle eject, etc).

Nice find! My dad has 6 of these old pre 64 model 94s, I used one as my first deer rifle as was the case with many kids back in the 80s 90s, I shot my first deer and a couple more to follow with that old gun before I graduated up to my own bolt rifle, I wanted an all around deer and elk cartridge and chose a 7 rem mag, my dad gave the old 94 I used as a kid to my brother which will never part with it

Scorch said:
FNH sells the Model 1894 made by Miroku (not Winchester or FNH). And, FWIW, it is even farther from the original than the Model 94s (rebounding hammer, angle eject, etc).

Not to mention the tang safety...................... :rolleyes:

Hello everyone this is my first time using a forum so if I'm posting in wrong area please let me know. I was just given a Winchester 94 post 64 in 44 mag. Its manufacture date i found out is 1969. What I am trying to find out is what sub model is it and if someone can help me cause it does have a feeding problem.:confused:

Happy Holidays, and welcome to the web, fivebux.

Depending upon barrel length, and with NO other information, I'd WAG that your post-64 Model 94 .44 Mag is a standard Carbine (20" bbl) or a Trapper (16" bbl).

You should also probably expand on it's feeding issues in our Gunsmithing Section.

I know alot of shooters like Marlins: My Model 94/sn 2018545 I think it's around 1954. My first deer rifle, for Christmas 1961. Mom was a hunter and she had a Marlin, Gave me the Mod 94 I don't recall the cal. of the Marlin but she always said it was nicer. That the 30/30 was a brute. I haven't hunted with the 30/30 in years. I used my 1903 Springfield. This coming year I traded for a model 700 243 Winchester and I plan to hunt with it. I still Target with the Springfield, It's original and I roll the dice every time I shoot it. When I was young I watched the lone ranger and Roy Rodgers, I noticed the lever action Winchesters, I can't recall for sure but all the lever Actions had round barrels. also latch top Springfields were in alot of movies. Good luck with your choice, Be careful and shoot clean Sunny

FWIW, there's only TWO (2) recognized genre's of Winchester Model 1894/94 leverguns, pre-64 & post-64.
ANYTHING else is a subdivision, like post-64 Model 94AE's, & BB94's, or Pre-War whatever.

Also, Winchester NEVER designated any levergun as a "Trapper", until the post-64 period.

Anyone who says they've never seen a Pre-64 Model 94 Rifle need only look through a few Winchester reference books, if they don't have access to the real thing.

The early type carbines seem to be generally recognized, usually called "saddle ring carbines". That distiction or variant is more desirable than a later, post war, or even pre war ramp sighted guns. After the early type carbines (saddle ring carbines) went out, and ramp sights came in, they pretty much look alike, other than the long wood forends.

War-time.....

Mine was made during WWII. Sometime later they changed the hammer from checkered to serrated around '48to '50, I think, to speed production or reduce costs. Shortly thereafter they changed from long-wood to shortwood forearms. Old Winchesters have a grace and poise that the new ones don't quite get.

Back