New rifle 6.5 creedmoor

I have a Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor and I think it's ideal for deer hunting. For long range shooting, I don't have enough experience to have an opinion.

Savage 110 Elite Precision

I recently bought the new 110 elite precision in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is spectacularly accurate! I've owned a few RPR's and a Thompson Center in 6.5 CR and they all shot well but at 600 and 1000 yards I could only get my groups to average around .75 moa. I'm beginning to compete PRS and F-class and wanted a great rifle to make me competitive. Savage announced the 110 Elite Precision last fall but they are just now starting to be available. The rifle is a stainless 110 target action with an extra heavy 26" Palma barrel, MDT ARCA benchrest chassis, AICS magazine and Accutrigger that adjusts between 9 oz. To 3 lbs. Yesterday I did the standard precision barrel break in then began seeing what it could do. My third 3 shot group at 600 yards was .54 inches! That's .09 moa! Basically 1 hole! Before this I could shoot 3 inch groups @ 600 yards occasionally and was proud of that but with this new rifle I was able to produce a 1.37 moa average with 5 three shot groups. I was just blown away that I got these results with any rifle much less a brand new one. This is definitely NOT a hunting rifle because it weighs 18 pounds with scope and rings and an ARCA bipod is ridiculously expensive ($400) but for around $1700 you get performance on par with $5000 custom rigs!

Last edited:
I have a Tikka .243 and haven't had to do anything to it to make it shoot really great! It's the best out-of-the-box rifle I've ever had and I'd buy another in 7mm-08 if I didn't already have two sub-MOA, .270, tweaked Remington 700s with Canjar triggers and great stocks.

I bought a Ruger in 6.5, right after they hit the market. While not beauty queens as some guys prefer, it does everything a guy would want out of that caliber....other than being real pretty. I carry mine in a truck that hits the woods daily and occasionally I take it to the range to check the scope as it gets banged around some...but it has never failed to fire a one inch group or better.
If a guy just wants a hunting rifle, it is hard to beat...but it's just a good tool...not eye candy. I have shot a lot of feral hogs and deer with mine and couldn't expect more from a rifle actually.

My oldest son bought the Savage 110 Tactical, and preliminary thoughts for me are wow!
He did a standard break in with Hornady's American Whitetail, and mostly from all distances he could easily make the rounds touch from 25 yds to 100 yds.
His last 5 round group was with Hornady's 140 grn Match ammo, a d it shot that stuff into a 1/2 moa group at 100 yds before we quit for the day,.
So what I took away was, the Savage Tactical is a real accurate way to get started in long range shooting....

Back