New Remington M1903 Owner!

One of the great strengths of our military in WWII was the emphasis on having repair units as close to the front as possible. The Navy even had floating drydocks.

Gunsmith Roy Dunlap wrote 'Ordnance Went Up Front' about his experiences in theater smallarms maintenance. I have it on Kindle, remaining print copies are expensive.

He saw the M1 coming in with its early problems and was not impressed.
He had some interesting observations about the BAR. He figured the A2 with its rate reducer was a step too far.

I have done a little study on this model and I own one like it. There is no way the gun was assembled by Remington with an SA barrel or B&S bolt. There is nothing wrong with a replaced barrel vs a bad original. Easy interchangeability of parts guarantee most of these rifles will remain usable for many years.

The 4 digit number on the bolt would likely be from the serial number of the gun this bolt was on at one time. That was common practice with a couple of countries that got guns from the US.

There should be some marking stamped on the stock. Left side near the receiver.

You can amuse yourself looking for a little "R" stamp on every part.

The bolt shroud is a Smith Corona part. More closeup shots might result in more information.

Here is a useful website. I think there is mention of smith corona using B&S bolt parts. Dig into it, you will see. Trigger guard and butt plate are often mix and match.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html

Last edited:
Mine is original... 3104xxx

Scabbards-knifes-M1_and_1903A1_020.jpg

1903_0031.jpg

Scabbards-knifes-M1_and_1903A1_022.jpg

Most of the hardware is marked R or RA. Several R on the bolt, also 42.

A method to guesstimate when things were done is to look at how the finish and wear varies or matches. For example, here many of the parts are worn to bare metal. The barrel has an almost new blue color. That was installed later.

The rear sights adjustments often wear and the sight gets replaced. My casual observation is most replacements are "R" stamped.

Also armory rebuilt rifles will have that armory stamp on the stock. That is in addition to the original inspector stamp. Then stocks get swapped all the time.
Stocks and everything else. Look on ebay, every bit and piece can be found.

Last edited:
Back