New Remington 700 SPS extractor broke!

Math,

I understand your consern but I am not worried at all I am gonna stick to non-magnum calibers and all so the extractor failing is small. :)

Even if my life was in danger I rather half a Remmie M700 then most other actions they are good for what they were designed to do and thats good enough for me :D

I honestly dont know these problems with Remmies I know they exist but all rifles half problems some more then others.

Extractor = Not a problem unless your using Mag's it seems.
Bolt Handle = I honestly dont know how a brazed bolt handle will break but if it did I know how to use a Oxy-welder.
Trigger = Never gonna adjust so isnt a problem.

So tell me should I get a Nonrico M-14 Clone or a M700 ?? :p
Both are guns I always wanted and I finial am able to buy a gun so what do you think ??. I am leaning on the Remmie for a all around gun in 30-06 right now. Math what do you think ??

Dimitri

We have a long time gunsmith in our family named Olson. I took a brand new Remington Model 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag to him to have him give it a trigger job and got talking about extractors. He was replacing the stock extractor on another M700 with a Sako. When I asked him when he simply smirked "Why, to replace the Mickey Mouse unit Remington put on there, that's why." So I had him do it to mine as well.

That being said my family has been a long time supporter of Remington rifles. Just about everyone in our family uses a Remington M700 to hunt with and of the two that don't, one is a customized 1903 Springfield and the other is a Remington M7600 pump. They have no complaints with them. My dad's and his brother's ADLs were bought in the 70s and have had nothing more than trigger jobs done to them. They still shoot sub-MOA. So I when I looked at buying a new hunting rifle, I naturally turned to Remington and ended up purchasing the afermentioned 7 Mag. It is a beautiful rifle, and accurate, but I have noticed a trend. In the last 3 rifles our family has bought from Remington--two ADLs in .270 and .300 Win and my BDL in 7mm Rem Mag--all have had ridiculously heavy trigger pulls. In addition Remington has added that J-lock "feature" that seems more annoying than useful to me. In fact, I unlock mine and basically forget where I place the keys. I don't know if I could lock mine if I had to right now. My brother's .300 and my 7mm Rem both had problems with the stock causing the bolt release stick when we first got them. That means that after depressing the button it sticks up and makes it impossible to lock the bolt back in the rifle until you mess with it for long enough to get the button unstuck. And finally, I noticed when running some timed offhand two shot drills that my rifle has a tendency to double feed when the bolt is worked quickly. This isn't short stroking cause I can feel the lugs hit the back of the receiver. This knocks the top round loose in the magazine and then when the bolt is thrust forward it picks up the next round and tries to feed them both. It doesn't work and my two shot drill became a one-shot-and-WTF drill. For all of these reasons my once avid support for Remington has dwindled and now I am on the verge of trying to trade my Remington for a Win M70 in .300 Win. Your results may vary.

DimitriS,

I have a Remington M700 in 308 and really like it...no problems and it is more accurate than I am. ;)

You know the M700 is one of the most bought rifles at some of the hunting/gun shops I go to. Yes there are problems but they make so many of them I bet if you did a study based on lets say 1000 guns the M700 will do pretty good compared to other rifles that have less in numbers out there.

I bet the person that first had the idea to replace the Remmie Extractor with the Sako type was someone from Sako that got upset that the M700 got the Millitary contract and the Sako TRG didnt :p (I know this probrobly isnt true but its still funny :D)

Hummm its a close call thinking about the M700 in 30-06 myself right now thanks Math! :D

Dimitri

+1 on mathman's comment -- I also have a new Remington .308, and it is a great rifle; very accurate and reliable.

My latest rifle purchase is a Rem 700 PSS 308 non JLock - 2 years ago. The rifle shoots great accuracy wise - .75 moa the first outing and that's with non match brass and not very meticulously assembled hand loads. My problem I noticed before shooting it the first time was the trigger being very heavy. So with my fearless attitude in doing a trigger job ended up taking a bit long (3 days) to study the parts and I personally don't see the reason why it is designed that way. But after putting it back together I got a very nice and light trigger a bit less than 2 lbs. I'm ready to shoot some groups and indeed I did single loading factory rounds for 40 rounds of break in and 20 rounds of handloads. I was happy with the whole range session, great accuracy and I know I can do better once I put some real match loads together. Since I was in the clouds with my new rifle I decided to do a 100% function test, drop the rifle on the butt un loaded with action cocked and the rifle passed several times. The safety tes was already done and passed. Now load the magazine to full capacity, whoaaaa... the darn thing won't keep more than 3 rounds - isn't it suppose to be a 4 in the mag capacity. Ok so load only 3 and try to do a quick follow up. FAILED! Double feeding 100% of the time. Upon disassembly and inspection of the rifle when I got home the internal magazine has the wrong width and lip shape on it. Someone told me send it back to Remington and they'll make good of it, BUT what will happen to my nice trigger. That's ok I think me can fix it. But if my extractor goes south I will just end up sending them my bolt instead of the whole gun, or go with a Sako type.

Remington is really going south I'm thinking. Just check out their line of SAUM that isn't selling too good compared to the WSM Winchester came out with. I bet you if Winchester comes up with standard length beltless magnums - same length as the Dakota raounds, that will seal the faith of the RUM lines. Maybe Remington needs to upgrade it's design and incorporate Sako type extractor, ditch the JLock and go back to the days where their QA procedures are tops.

One thing Remington is enjoying are the custom rifle smiths buying their action and tweaking them up to $$1.5K - 4K worth guns.

josh

The bolt handle I believe is silver soldered, Remington builds the Armys m24 on a long action, the m40 is built by Marines on a short action at Quantico. On the m40 i got this from leatherneck mag and the m24 the info came from remingtons web site.

Kotupod,

I am still planing on getting one. The reason being is that this "extractor problem" after 3 shots puzzles me as my dads has lasted 18 and the bolt looks brand new. That bolt looks like copper is imbedded on it.

I dont know about any of you but I think its really hot loads that caused that as factory Remington 300RUM with a 180gr Swift Siccorco doesnt cause that kind of bolt after 18 shots atleast since thats how many my dads has had go through it :)

Dimitri

Hi and forgive me for bumping this old thread but I have almost the exact same strange wear on my bolt, but it is worse

Just look at my photo, there is something else going on I don't know how to describe it. See the little metal dimple front and right in the first photo? Thats not a blob of oil. What could be causing the metal to deform like that?

This is a .300 RUM Sendero SF with only about 30 rounds of Remington manafactured ammo through it. Yes, it was the correct ammo. .300 RUM.

Also, a spent casing does not eject half the time and I have to close and open the bolt a few times to get the casing out.

Any ideas, suggestions? It has not been abused or anything like that. I baby all my stuff.

I emailed Remington about it his morning.

Attachments

• ATT76602.jpg
    ATT76602.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20111116-00050.jpg
    IMG-20111116-00050.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back