New Remington 700 recall?

Metal god, That picture of 700 trigger is missing sear/sear spring and you have rear pin but not front one to hold it in place.

Yes the trigger does look dirty to me and the sealing agent does not appear to be on the adjusting screws leading to the thought that they may have been tampered with.

Lots of things can happen to make a trigger let go. If you don't use a bore guide solvent and oil can contaminate the trigger mechanism. It will dry and cause problems. Dirt and lint will naturally get in there and cause problems over time. Triggers really should be cleaned with lighter fluid and blown out fairly often. You maintain your automobile why not your firearms. If you purchase a trigger that costs half as much as the rifle you put it in you will naturally take pretty good care of the little Jewell.

Lastly there is the problem with the "ten Commandments" of gun safety. One of them is "Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot". Following that one rule would have avoided all the accidents that have caused so much misery and cost so much to the shooting community. We buyers ultimately pay for all these frivolous lawsuits if the company is to stay in business.

Two things led to the Remington 700 becoming the premier accuracy action from it's inception. It's round receiver is easy to chuck in a lathe for truing and it is pretty easy to re-barrel. It's trigger is easily adjusted and if done correctly serves well for accuracy work. The M700 has always enjoyed a reputation for accuracy out of the box. Careless handling and the over zealous legal community have combined to taint the reputation of one of the premier firearms manufacturers in our country.

Joe

I'll take a look at what you guys are saying and take a few more pictures . It may take a few days to update .

Thanks

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see another recall, AFAIK that's an old one, thank god. After replacing the trigger on my own cost I am pretty much done with this brand..

It's reasonable to assume that Remington has had some trigger failure's, that could happen to any gun maker. The problem as I believe it is people fooling with adjusting the trigger and doing it wrong. Reason I think that is that just to many time's it's been reported. I have several old 700's and have never had one go off on me. Yes I do adjust my own but found out early on that adjusting much under 3# will set up that situation.

So why did Remington do a recall? I think they did it to avoid a bunch of law suits. I suspect they would lose no matter the cause of the problem. So seem's to me it's a cost thing to Remington, cheaper to recall than fight a bunch of law suits they will probably loose all about money.

I got my first Mod 70 several years ago and never fooled with the trigger until just recently. I came at 5# and everything else I have is at 3#. Took it apart and looked at it and looks very simple to me. Took it down to three pounds and no problem's. Easier trigger to adjust than the Remington, but I doubt it's any better.

Now the only trigger I have I haven't re-adjusted is on a 1093 Springfield.

If you remember years ago Ruger had a problem with a blackhawk a guy shot himself with. Older blackhawk without the bar to block the hammer and he droped it, 6 rounds in the chamber. About the same time Remington had their first trigger problem. A guy hunting got back to his vehicle and shot himself in the foot with the rifle. Turned out that the guy got into the car with the rifle loaded, sat on the driver seat, pointed the rifle at his foot and started unloading. But for some reason I cannot understand he was cycling the rounds through the chamber to take them out and was closing the bolt on everyone! Never heard how that one turned out but I'd bet Remington spent a ton of money defending themselves from a moron!

Last edited:
Back