New Remington 700 recall?

Pops1085

Just checking, but is there a brand new recall out there or are news sources just re-reporting the old recall that happened a few years ago? Sounds dumb but I'm not seeing an issue date anywhere and it'd be easy for a news source to just say they did it and not mention it's been known for a long time.

Not gonna lie, my faith in Remington is not very high anymore. :/

Edit: link to news story I saw recently https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsn...-to-potentially-deadly-defects/?client=safari

Not that CBS would do anything to help gun owners or downplay the severity.

Various news outlets have been reporting the issue with older 1946-2006 made rifles since at least the 1970's. Every few years after someone dies the story is repeated.

Remington replaced the old trigger in late 2006 and as far as I know it is a good design. The recall on the 2006-2014 rifles is supposedly due to some type of adhesive that got into the trigger groups on some rifles during assembly.

The latest news stories concern the 2006-2014 rifles after a kid shot his brother with one and claims he didn't pull the trigger. I believe him. But he still deserves to be in jail. He pointed a loaded gun at his brother and threatened him. The fact that he didn't actually pull the trigger doesn't change the the fact that he is responsible.

I don't believe this is a new recall, just publicizing the recall from a few years ago. I find it amazing that this story has been reported for over 40 years. Remington even flooded outdoor and shooting magazines with ad's in the early 1980's urging rifle owners to return their rifles to have the safety replaced for a nominal fee to reduce the possibility of the issue Remington has known for over 70 years, yet so many hunters and shooters have missed it and think this is something new.

My friend's M7 went off unintended in the field. He returned the gun to Remington and a couple years later it happened again. After that, he had the trigger replaced by a gunsmith at his expense. Problem solved. Ok, dont tell me about Remington getting a bum rap. There has to be a special place in hell for those responsible.

The latest news stories concern the 2006-2014 rifles after a kid shot his brother with one and claims he didn't pull the trigger. I believe him. But he still deserves to be in jail. He pointed a loaded gun at his brother and threatened him. The fact that he didn't actually pull the trigger doesn't change the the fact that he is responsible.
There is no "fact" involved in him 'not' pulling the trigger. There is only his word ... which was never the same twice.
He shot his brother in the face and blew most of his head off.
He tried to make the death look like a suicide by planting a shotgun; and then changed his story half a dozen times, as he came up with new ways to try to explain incriminating evidence that he was remembering or being told about.

He flat-out murdered his brother, and the family decided to jump on the bandwagon and get easy money from Remington. ...Even though inspection of the rifle (by multiple neutral parties) never showed any faults that could allow an uncommanded discharge.

For those that want a quick synopsis (but, by no means, the full story): Stringer vs. State

Well that figures. It just seemed odd that the most recent story didn't mention that the recall was from literal years ago. Not trying to start a hate thread on Remington, but tbh I'm no fan. I'm even wary of their ammo nowadays. Had a few failures to fire with the green and yellow box of ammo this year, good primer strikes on all of them, multiple times in multiple rifles. That used to be my go to stuff in years past. Really wondering how or if they'll ever regain their reputation.

There is a simple and permanent cure for the Remington 700 problems with their triggers and/or safeties. You probably don't want to hear it, though. But I'll say it anyway: Upgrade to a model 70 Winchester and don't look back.

It's definitely on the list. Have an older pre-64 model that's still one of my favorites. The bore's toast, but it was the first rifle I ever shot a deer with and it belonged to my grandfather before me so it's earned a permanent spot on the wall now. Just hate how much they cost now, I hear FN makes them really nice though.

There is a simple and permanent cure for the Remington 700 problems with their triggers and/or safeties. You probably don't want to hear it, though. But I'll say it anyway: Upgrade to a model 70 Winchester and don't look back.
The only Remington firearms/parts that I own are a rifle made in 1936 (which has issues) and a barrel from a malfunctioning (and eventually scrapped) rifle made in 2009.

Remington has decided that you and those people around are worth less than there bottom line .and the dividend that there share holder could lose.
Pure and simply unethical, immoral, greedy, selfish, narcisstic low class bottom feeder specimens of the human race.

Remington makes as safe of a firearm as anyone. After all the hoopla I am still a huge fan and continue to use and recommend their model 700's.

What we have heard about over the past years and what was even the topic of some TV "Special" was nothing more than sensationalism.

Yes, there were some unfortunate deaths, but in those cases it was never clearly determined that Remington triggers - as manufactured - were the direct cause.

My point, and what Remington is on record for - a properly maintained trigger is no reason for concern. Start monkeying around with that trigger for pull weight or travel, or let it get cruddy/dirty, and you may have problems.

Rob

jmr40 said:
after a kid shot his brother with one and claims he didn't pull the trigger. I believe him.
Of course you do.

Just curious, which statement do you believe, because he gave three different statements. See Paragraphs 9, 10, and 11.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ms-supreme-court/1657373.html

The Mississippi Crime lab also tested the rifle, found the trigger to be about 5 lbs, and they could not get it to go off without pulling the trigger. (same link, Paragraph 13).

The recall for loctite, the problems only appeared in cold weather, pretty much the opposite of Mississippi in June.

Saltydog235 said:
Remington's triggers suck, it's that simple.

They certainly do now. A properly adjusted Walker trigger is one of the best factory triggers out there, the only one better I have used is on a early 60s Sako. There is a reason the US Military still uses them.

The important bit is "properly adjusted", any nitwit with the correct screwdriver can make them very unsafe.

The only thing that was really wrong with it by design was the original safety, which wouldn't let you unload with the safety on. That was stupid, and fixed in 1982.

The old 700 triggers absolutely have problems . I was at the range with a buddy that just bought a 1970's era 700 . He fired it a few times and when closing the bolt the 4th or 5th time the gun fired . I was literally watching the gun and his hands at the time . No finger on the trigger , he just closed the bolt at a reasonable speed BANG . After unloading the firearm I was able to reproduce the failure 4 more times .

Needless to say we stopped shooting it . I ended up replacing the trigger with a Timney . I wrote about this a few years ago here I believe . As you'd expect I got mixed opinions as to if the trigger was bad or just dirty and was told when buying a used gun you do a full cleaning before use . That's great advice and is in fact what he did . How ever he did not do a detailed cleaning of the trigger it self .

The more I thought about it the more I was confused . How many of us do a detailed cleaning of the trigger group after buying a used firearm ? Upon deeper thought I can say I've never cleaned a trigger group . I mean I wipe it down and dry brush it but never disassembled and did a detailed cleaning . How many of you have stripped the trigger down and cleaned it before firing a used gun ?

This just seems like one of those thing that should not need to be done to your Glock , Savage , Sako , Winchester , S&W etc or the gun may unintentionally discharge . How ever the Remington 700 is the exception and you really are being irresponsible if you don't do a detailed cleaning of the trigger every x amount of months . It just seems to me with such a critically important part If it were to fail to operate properly , it should fail to work period . Not fire when you don't want it to .

Here is the trigger after I removed from the rifle . I still have it untouched . If you'd like I can take better picture at specific angles and repost or even take it apart and take pictures of that . Let me know and I'll try to help .

Is this uber dirty ?

4k30.jpg

8f75.jpg

j8pj.jpg

Last edited:
A picture may be worth a thousand words but in this case we need to know what the trigger pull was/is, whether the trigger adjustments were factory or had been changed for engagement and reset.
The picture doesn't show what kind of dirt/contaminates, how much or where it is.
As a used gun it is more suspect than if it had been purchased new because one would have some knowledge of any mods made. Maybe I am the odd one here but I do a detailed disassembly of used guns, clean, inspect and lube them before I use them. I don't fire reloads that I have not assembled either. I pull them apart and reload with known components. Why take a chance on someone else being as detail oriented as I am?

Yeah I took those pics a few years ago and knew they're not the best and is why I offered to take more .

The trigger possibly being modified before he bought it is totally possible . Again I'm all for doing what I can to figure that out .

The trigger is no longer installed but if I recall it was quite stiff . A guess would be 4+ pounds but that's a guess I never checked the weight . I do know compared to the new Timney it was VERY heavy .

Last edited:
Anyone have an idea of a gunsmith's service charge for installing a new Timney trigger provided by the gun owner? I'm considering this for my old Rem 700 .270.

Back