New Remington 700 Need help picking out scope

yeah the nikon prostaff is exactly what im looking at right now. im thinking thats gonna be my best bet for my price range thanks

I would check out the Buckmasters. Sometimes you can find them on sale. I particularly like the side focus on some of the models and the glass is good.

I own a Bushnell 3200 elite, a couple Nikon Buckmasters, a couple Leupold VXII, and some others.
I think the Leupolds are more money for a reason. If you have the money, go that route. They're definately nicer scopes. Next I like the Nikon. To me it has a wider field of view, is brighter and clearer than the bushnell.
That said, the bushnell is a couple ounces lighter, and that can be important as well. I certainly don't mind carrying my Bushnell when I go out hunting.
Probably the biggest thing I don't like about the Nikon is the added weight. 13 ounces vs 16 ounces. Some people only shoot short action guns in order to save that much weight!

I have a Nikon Buckmaster on my Rem 700 SPS DM in 30-06. I had it out to the range last night. Shot a few 1" or better groups. Nothing wrong with that!

If I were looking for another scope in this price bracket I certainly wouldn't overlook the new Redfield Revolution. Made and supported by Leupold. Might be just the ticket!

I would get one of the Nikon said above, For the price they have a nice clear view ,and with the money left over you can buy ammo;) I have a Bushnell on mine and I dont like the fat recticle.

re: the Nikon and Leupold scopes, are the fancier versions with the 'drop' features worth investing in? i'm sure they're useful when shooting long range targets but are they really practical?

Being a long-time shooter and part-time gunsmith, I've used lots of scopes, ranging from the cheapest to the best. The best image for the dollar isn't necessarily the way to go. It's important to have good adjustments and a strong tube.

The best scopes I have are Leupold. The Vari-XII is an excellent scope IMHO. The Nikon Monarch 3-10x I have is not as clear or bright and doesn't seem to have as full a view. The Leupold doesn't leave as much black area around the edge of the image.

Weavers I've owned have always been tough scopes for the money. The adjustments work very well.

Many Leupold VX II's can be had for 500 or less. Even some VX III's. Rifles are only as good as their sights. Get the best you can afford.

Bill

Many Leupold VX II's can be had for 500 or less. Even some VX III's. Rifles are only as good as their sights. Get the best you can afford.

could someone explain to me the differences between the VXII's and the VXIII's? some of the prices seem to overlap but i'm not sure which of the two I should get as my first scope

VXIII will be clearer and brighter especially in low light. (Better glass with better coatings). The VXIII is also available in 30 mm tubes, and some different reticule choices.

The price overlaps are usually the result of power differences. A low power VXIII will sometimes over lap with a higher power VXII.

Bill

nikonbdcx350.png

I looked at Leupold and Nikon scopes today and the Nikon scopes looked clearer to my eye. not that Leupold looked bad, it could've just been the lighting in the store, so it doesn't really count :D

by the way, do any of you have Nikon scopes with the BDC reticle? how has it worked for you?

bushnell elite 3200 or nikon buckmasters are nice for the money. If you can spend the extra and move up to the 4200 or Monarchs they are nicer for not too much more.

Back