New Remington 700 Need help picking out scope

SK 009

Inactive
so im a long time reader and a first time poster here.

so i just bought a R 700 sps dm 30-06 and i am looking into now what kind of scope i should get for this beauty. im not used to having a rifle that is quite this high end so i dont want to put a crappy scope on it but i am not made of money here.

a few years ago i sporterized a mosin and got a scope from combathunting.com the site has great prices but im not sure about the quality of some of there stuff the one i got for the mosin (3-12x) has worked for me even though its not as accurate as id like it to be at 100 yards. may be due to the fact that im shooting military surplus ammo on a 60 year old weapon. regardless i do alot of shooting at 100 yards but im looking for this rifle to shoot a good group at 200+ yards and im also going to do some hunting with this rifle. what is a good magnification for this rifle. id like to keep the price of the scope under 200 dollars is this possible whats the best i could do for this price. anything, advice or suggestions at all would be incredibly helpful. please.

Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X40 will do all you need for a .30-06 and if you want better glass save up and get a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36. Don't over power the scope on a rifle that you intend to hunt with. You really will not need more than a 3-9 power range to get everything you want done.

Last edited:
You don't really need much scope if you're staying in the 200 yard range. Definitely something below 10X magnification, variable or fixed. I'd suggest you check out the optics section at MidwayUSA. Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon, Weaver, Sightron, Vortex, Redfield and Burris all have a good reputation for entry level optics.

Last edited:
For a hunting scope- Ill almost always recommend a 3-9. This is just fine for shooting deer sized critters to 500+ yrds AND in my opinion more importantly it will still let you shoot in that heavy timber at 30 yrds.
Ill by far take more 100 yrd and in shots than I will 100 yrd and out.

As for brand Ive ran Leupold on my hunting rigs with great success. Keep and eye out for used stuff and youll be able to stay at your 200 limit.

Also dont skimp on your rings, Ive heard good about the Burris Signature Zees- infact I just ordered a set for my current project. I think new they go for 80ish, we will see how they do.

glad you started this thread, I'm also looking for scope recommendations in the $250-500 range. I plan on buying a Remington 700 CDL and want a decent scope for it....nothing cheap. I was thinking either a Leupold or a Nikon scope, but the questions is, which model?

Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm

glad you started this thread, I'm also looking for scope recommendations in the $250-500 range. I plan on buying a Remington 700 CDL and want a decent scope for it....nothing cheap. I was thinking either a Leupold or a Nikon scope, but the questions is, which model?

I have the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40mm on a variety of rifles... Its a very versatile scope..

At around $200 I like the Nikon Buckmaster. The Burris Fullfield is just a bit more and another good choice.

The absolute lowest priced scope I would suggest is a $150 Nikon Prostaff. Anything less is a waste of money in my opinion.

Scopes

For that price range the BSA Cat Eye Series is hard to beat.
One of the best Low Light Scopes, for the money based on past experience.

Last edited:
thanks alot guys this has all been really helpful. i like the 3-9x scopes for the range and for hunting so i think that is a good power. does having a 30-06 instead of a smaller caliber make my group sizes a little bigger at the range or will it not make as much a difference. i didnt want to pay the extra money for 300 win mag and i heard that unless you are shooting really long range game 300 win mag and 30-06 are the same bullet

Groups are all on how well you shoot and your rifle shoot. The .30-06 round is plenty capable of small groups if you are. The only thing you really have going against you is the recoil and muzzle blast will be much greater than on a smaller cartridge say .223 or .243 that is what will make shooting your rifle tougher.

Nikon, Leupold, and Bushmaster Elite are all good scopes for the 700. Depending on the clarity and power you want ... that will govern the cost.

However, if you just dropped your last $600 on the rifle, and want a scope to get you by for awhile .... Leapers by UTG makes an acceptable scope for the money. I've had one of their upper end tactical scopes on my 700 SPS Varmint for a little over 8 months now without any complaints. Granted ... I won't put much stock in it's reliability for shots beyond 400 yds, but it does the trick for what I shoot.

this is one that i like. really like the bullet drop compensator and it has great reviews. tell me what you think

Don't put a Bushnell Banner on your rifle. Use the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40mm. Its only sixty more bucks and has great glass for that price range.

i heard that unless you are shooting really long range game 300 win mag and 30-06 are the same bullet

Yeah typically ammo is available in the same weights, 150-200grains roughly. I'm not a reloader so I don't know if they are literally the same bullet or not, though. It might be better to think of it in their ability to achieve desired results. Both will do whatever you need them to do. The 300 Win Mag will just be able to do it at longer ranges. Given a trained marksman and a capable rifle, shooting targets at 800 yards isn't a problem. For hunting, the .30-06 will do the job at ranges most feel comfortable with (300-400 yards). 300WM is a powerful cartridge. The extra recoil could cause people to flinch when shooting. Flinching will open your group size up. And the 300WM costs more per round.

Here's a vote for Burris FFII. I haven't checked the prices in some time, but the 3-9x version is probably close to your price range. Excellent scope.

Back