New Rash of Campus Carry Legislation

Sefner

With the recent election, currently 8 (actually now 7, see Virginia) states are considering campus carry legislation. Also why is it that almost every news article about a piece of legislation does not cite a bill number? Isn't that a kind of, you know, basic source that should be included?

If anyone has any more information post it here and I'll update OP.

I, for one, thought this issue would be fought in the courts but it looks like the first battles will be fought in the state legislatures and we are 0-1 so far.

Last edited:
I dont get on to check much. Im glad to see so many other states are doing the same as Texas is.

Is there a way updates on this thread can be sent to my email? I can get my email by phone

Utah: I believe it's HB 75 (now HB 75S01) that's being referred to in the article and the text can be found here: http://le.utah.gov/~2011/htmdoc/hbillhtm/HB0075S01.htm
Carry in public schools and on public school property, as allowed by the federal GFSZA, has been legal for some years. Some universities/colleges have chosen to interpret Utah's law to mean that the firearm must be concealed, although the law doesn't specify that. HB 75S01 will clarify that the law also allows open carry in the same manner that concealed carry is allowed.

Note that the proposed law has already been amended and is subject to further amendments in the legislative process, often to the point that it bears no resemblance to the original bill and it ends up being dropped.

I think there are other versions of the TX bill, but I can't look now.

I might have this wrong (not surprising) but 86 also compelled private school carry and the one actual up only allows public campuses. Might be wrong on that! But I know that's an issue.

Thanks guys! Not letting me edit OP, edit button is not there... is there an edit lock after a certain time or something?

@ Glen - Scrolling thru the House bills, that was the only one that I saw, but not to say that I didn't overlook one. Also, I didn't think to check the Senate bill list. But did see lots of what appeared to be non-gun foolishness in the House.

The TX chl forum seems to have rumblings that the parking lot bill may get submerged in committee again. That's what happened the last time.

Somehow big business interests always get to those progun legislators. Hmm!

Hope I'm wrong in my cynical view. They've been contacted and say the right things but you know bills about banning tanning salons are more important.

Coyote Perry managed to get other crap on the emergency train - not gun stuff, but he supports it. Hmm!

The Texas CHL Forum reported that the Texas Parking Lot bill was reported out yesterday with a "Do Pass" recommendation. What is interesting is that Rodney Ellis voted for it. He can usually be counted on to oppose anything that helps gun owners.

Tom Gresham did a bonus podcast on this issue and makes one of the best arguments I've heard on this issue:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/guntalk/Campus_Carry_Podcast.mp3

His points are that it's not about students carrying (even thought students carry everywhere else in college towns with no incident), it's about adults carrying. He also says that colleges are usually State-owned land, why are we not allowed to carry on State-owned land?

Definitely worth a listen to anyone concerned about this issue.

Being a grad student in a major [read: crime infested!] metro area SUCKS. Here's hoping some of this stuff passes and my home state will eventually get on board with it.

Utah's bill number is:
House Bill 75, 1st Substitute. (HB 75 Substitute, or HB75S01)

As mentioned by Don H, the amendment process in Utah is rather frustrating. It is extremely easy to get "Poison Pill" amendments added to a bill before a vote. Although HB 75 passed and was signed by the governor on March 22, it almost failed.

Several amendments were so poorly written, they essentially recreated the entire reason for introducing the bill - ambiguous, unclear definitions.

Two amendments nearly passed, that would have held a person legally in possession of a firearm responsible for all actions, injuries, and costs incurred, should the school have gone into lockdown. (Even if it was an inappropriate 911 call, made by a trouble-making student, attempting to create a panic.)

Last minute changes made the bill acceptable, but it's still not as "gun friendly" as many had hoped.

Damn, I was hoping I'd be able to take my gun with me to college. I've had to explain to my parents that it's not to facilitate murder or coercion; it's there in case if something like a V-Tech attempt goes down. I'm not looking to be a hero, but I'd rather have a gun over knowledge that the Police will be here and resolve this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre

Get this: "Emergency services response
Police took nearly six minutes to enter the barricaded building. When they could not break the chains, an officer shot out a deadbolt lock leading into a laboratory; they then moved to a nearby stairwell.[11] As police reached the second floor, they heard Cho fire his final shot."

It's been going on for two hours, thirty undeserving people are dead, and the Police didn't even do anything! I'm normally a nice, non-confrontational guy, but I'm not the sort to roll over and let myself be slain without a fight

Going over it, I believe that if even only one or two students in either of the buildings had guns and ammo, they wouldn't have hesitated to put a stop to it. Nice going, gun-free zones; you made it into a personal safety-free zone.

Last edited:
Back