New question guys

Quote:
Just a guess, not having seen the gun, but if the punch marks are very close to the extractor tunnel,

dahermit, I have worked with 'old sailors' most of them used a term called 'gloop maker'. they insisted ever ship had to have one.

F. Guffey

I have no idea to what you are referring. Could you try to be more specific.

The only reason I ventured a Rockwell ding is because I got a couple of examples,not on the breech face for sure but having done my share,I know them when I see them.Punch marks on the breech face,man you got an issue
While a macine shop/metal shop teacher and while employed at a foundry at one time, I had opportunity to use a Rockwell tester. However, when I look at the breech face of my 1911's, I do not see how a Rockwell tester could actually fit in there take a reading and to make those marks.

And while the Rockwell indicators I used myself probably could not be used either,I do not know the types used in gun manufacture.
OP asked for a guess and I offered one.

Thanks again poly , like poly explained , I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill , all I was looking for is , why would someone do that .

Chris

I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill
Too late for that,now you got Rockwell testers,breech face peening in the wrong side,40#reaction springs,gloop makers and Jerry Kuhnhausen involved.

Since the gun is chrome-plated, is there any chance spring-loaded electrodes made contact there and the apparent "punch mark" is just an absence of metal plating on those spots? The way to check if they are actual punch marks is to paint the surface with Magic Marker and rub a known flat piece of steel over it. If they are punch marks, the marking die will rub off in circles around them due to that being raised when the punch upset the metal. Gently applying a diamond hone just to remove such raised areas would be safe to do. Otherwise, the marks themselves should be harmless. 45 Auto pressures are not normally adequate to mark a case head much.

Back