New question guys

cw308

I have been posting on this Colt MK IV 70 Series , after completely breaking it down Inoticed it looks like someone was pretty heavy handed or maybe that's
how some breach faces looked , on the face of the breach were the ejector exits it looks like two dents from a punch . I have no idea why someone would do that , I was cleaning and polishing the face when I saw it . What's your feeling ?

Last edited:
Poly
I know but I was able to see the punch marks on the breach face , is more what I am concerned about . If someone could do that , what other things are they capable of doing . When I first got the pistol the front of the barrel was filed , and not even close to square , I sent the barrel to a gunsmith I used before for my rifle to square and crown . The gun is chrome plated , I'm not a fan of chrome but it's a fancy looking pistol , fired it once or twice . I just got the bug to tare it apart and make it a project and learning process at the same time . Can you think of any reason why there would be two punck marks , one left of the ejector cutout the other one above the lower punch mark . That's puzzling to me . Anyway thanks for answering to my post .

Chris

ok,in the absence of graphics and if your punch marks are pointed,someone tested the steel hardness,a Rockwell indicator leaves a small indent.No harm to the part.

Poly
Wish it was only a pointed punch mark, it's two flattened areas about 1/8"across . The only good thing is the case doesn't hang up on it . The breach face should be flat and smooth . Could something like that come from Colt , I don't think so and what would the marks correct . Maybe just a defect .

Send a pic if you can.
The only reason I ventured a Rockwell ding is because I got a couple of examples,not on the breech face for sure but having done my share,I know them when I see them.Punch marks on the breech face,man you got an issue
there I can't even visualize why anyone'd do that,don't know what to to tell you
see a pistol smith maybe they'll have an answer.

Thanks Poly , it's a mystery to me also . It feeds and shoots fine just looks strange . Thanks Again .

Chris

Remington
It seem like that's exactly what someone attempted to do but my mistake it's the ejector side not extractor . My mistake . Nothing I can do to correct the punch marks except smooth out around the edges . I was thinking to stone it smooth . Thanks for answering .

Chris

I don't mean to sound disrespectful or demeaning in my comment. While I understand your desire to dissect and inspect every facet of your new-to-you Colt Mark IV Series 70 pistol, it makes me roll my eyes and shake my head. It basically comes down to a few questions:
- does the pistol work?
- If so, why all the scrutiny? It is a mass-produced product, and as such it will have an assortment of marks, scratches, and minor defects that, although not interfering with proper operation, are unsightly at worst. This is a fact of life. If it works, just shoot it.
- If not, would you recognize the issue if you saw it? Like your previous post about a "broken ejector", are you familiar enough with firearms to discern what is correct and what is not? I see this a lot as a gunsmith, customers who bring in guns they say "don't look right" and I have to bear the bad news that there is, in fact, nothing wrong with their gun. And I see many firearms that have been "fixed" by the owner that no longer work because of this "fixing". You have not asked for my advice, but I would recommend you try firing the pistol and analyze any malfunctions you encounter.

It feeds and shoots fine just looks strange
OP's issue is a strange look to the part in question,he does say that it shoots fine but he wants help otherwise,this is his request no harm in asking.

Hi Scorch
I inherited the gun from my Uncle , when I received the pistol the first thing I saw was the end of the barrel was filed down , maybe to remove a ding I will never know but who ever filed it was pretty heavy handed and I guess didn't care what it looked like . Sent to a guy like yourself to square and recrown . I'm a benchrest shooter , I made this pistil a project to better understand the 1911 and do some home school tinkering , just because I like too .
I like reading up on the 1911 , anyway back to shooting it . First time I shot it the cases ejected weak , l shoot my carry every week a Colt New Agent 1911 45acp 3" , the MK IV most of the time stayed in the safe . The punch marks on the breach face stumped me , it was to the side of the ejector cutout and above , two wacks from a 1/8 to 3/16 punch .
Sure I like shooting and I do with my NA , this gun I like taking it apart , changing things like the sear and hammer just for the fun of it . Have to learn somewhere , why not on my safe queen . What do you think about the punch marks . I would go with a new ejector , extractor , recoil or magazine before I started reforming the breach face , seems to me a no no . Thanks For Chiming in

Chris

Thanks Scorch
I have Vol 1 , waiting for a Wilson sear and hammer also Ed Brown jig from Brownells . Why not screw up a perfectly good sear and hammer by stoning , wish me luck .Thanks Again.

Chris

Just a guess, not having seen the gun, but if the punch marks are very close to the extractor tunnel, a previous owner may have been attempting to displace the metal of the breach face to close the hole for the extractor. I can envision someone who was trying to figure out why some of cases were jamming straight forward (a symptom of the case slipping off the extractor hook), may have thought that the problem was an oversize extractor hole.

Just a guess, not having seen the gun, but if the punch marks are very close to the extractor tunnel,

dahermit, I have worked with 'old sailors' most of them used a term called 'gloop maker'. they insisted ever ship had to have one.

F. Guffey

"...polishing the breech face does not accomplish anything..." Good. It can screw up the head space.
Sounds like somebody tried to stake the extractor and/or ejector in place. Which is what dahermit winded, I mean says. snicker.
Like Scorch says, does the pistol work?. If so, think Rule Number One. It works. Don't fix it.

Even though I hardly fired it the case ejected very weak , most likely the reason why someone wacked the breach face along side the ejector cut out . Not knowing what other things were worked on I turned the pistol into a build I guess , changing parts , making listed adjustments and see if it operates even better . Some like working on cars , I like working on guns .

Somebody probably put one of those 40 lb. "tactical" recoil springs in the gun. It's all the rage.
A stock spring will probably correct the ejection issue.

Back