New Pythons

Back in the day I went the whole route with Pythons & Diamondbacks. They were nice revolvers but for shooting purposes, which is what I bought them for, the S&W m27 beat out the Python. The Diamondback in 38 was tie with S&W m15 and maybe a little edge for S&W for durability. In 22 the S&W K frames were superior to Diamondback. On the other hand Diamondback better than J frame S&Ws.
Almost any knowledgeable gunsmith will tell you running gears of S&W are superior to Colts. I’ve owned most of Colts match grade revolvers and kept with S&W. There is no doubt the old Pythons and Diamond backs were beautiful revolvers. The new ones don’t hold a candle to them. I’m strictly a blues man. When I get stainless or nickel on trades I off them quick as possible to the first passing piano player.

I have one nickel 4” Python, bought in the 80’s and one nickel 4” Diamondback, also bought in the 80’s. Neither get shot much these days, but the Python was shot a bunch over the decades. And, it’s up valued so much that I worried I’d damage it, so I bought a S&W 686 for the grandkids and visitors to shoot. Honestly, the 686 seems rather crude compared to the Python, and the single action trigger pull wasn’t great. A trip to a good gunsmith and the 686 now has a great trigger pull. Bottom line, the Python is prettier, but they shoot equally well now. Better sights on the 686, and I like the grip better. If I had to sell one, it would be the 686.

Back