New Pythons

Thanks for the post.

I'm the lone person of the opinion that stainless is just better in every way if you shoot a revolver. I can't even find beauty in them because of how fragile the coating is in use.

Am a stainless convert in recent decades, but ain’t dumping the blued guns I do have.

(Caveat: I can’t afford a Python anyway, blued or stainless)

I will give them a look. But I understand your feelings about the fragility of the finish. I dinged the royal blue on my new Python back in 1976. I did it to another S&W revolver later on. Also the bad feeling of pulling a blued gun out of storage and finding surface rust on it. But I still love blued steel and fine walnut.

I'm the lone person of the opinion that stainless is just better in every way if you shoot a revolver.
Only advantage I can see is you might be able to use it as a reflector (if sunny) to get a search plane's attention when your lost. Other than that.... Dings, wear just add character to a revolver over time. Use but don't abuse. Blued will last a lifetime just like an unfinished, err I mean, stainless revolver will. :D

I'm surprise I'm not all excited about a blue Python. When the "new" SS ones came out that's the one thing I wanted. A blue one. Now, three? Four years later, with two of the SS ones in the safe, I find I'm not all that excited about the idea of spending the money to get another one, just in blue. Not worried about the blue, the only place it would get fired (if it did) would be at the range. The rest of the time it would be in the safe, wrapped in a gun sock.

Don't get me wrong. I really LIKE the SS ones, I guess I've just got what I wanted, A Python, so that itch is scratched.

I might see about getting one down the road somewhere, but no rush.

The Python is the only one I like it on. My LGS has a Ruger Single-Six, 45 acp/45 Colt that I wouldn't mind having, but someone has put a vent rib on it and it just looks "weird."

MSRP $1,600. I wonder what a slightly used one will eventually sell for. I have a '57 Python and a '60 Python that are safe queens. Would like to get a used blued for under $1K so I could shoot it.

haha, that's funny how we're all different.

I think stepped vented ribs are the only reason the python looks good. Wish S&W would do it. The PC models I think are weight saving...but looks...eee.

Stepped ribs on a shotgun just look so much better in my book. So much more visually pleasing.

If S&W ever felt the Python were taking any market share, do a good stepped vent rib. Done.

I have a 77 6" Python in royal blue which is rarely shot because it doesn't have a turn ring on the cylinder. It's my only gun that is a safe queen.
I put 6-12 rounds through it and put it away till the next time I get the urge.
All the rest of my revolvers are stainless and get shot quite a bit more.
Besides I prefer shooting 44, 460, and 45-70.

I love it. I will own one some day. I struggle with the triggers. Frankly, I struggle with Co.t triggers since I’m a long time S&W user.

I'm glad to see Colt bring out a blued Python as, while I'm sure the stainless ones are very nice guns, a big part of the appeal of the Python has always been Colt's beautiful Royal Blue. That being said, I'd like to see one of the new blue Pythons in person to see how it compares in both quality and color to the old bluing. I've noticed that the color of the bluing on newer S&W's is different than the older ones in that it's more black in color. I've read that this is because S&W can no longer use the same bluing chemicals that they did on their vintage ones and I'm curious if the same condition might apply to Colt.

Around 1969 Colt changed bluing formula and after that Colt's had a more gloss Black color.

Compare a later Colt like a Mark III to an old original Trooper or 3-5-7 made in the mid-60's and you can see the difference in color.

Originally posted by [BDfariswheel ][/B]
Around 1969 Colt changed bluing formula and after that Colt's had a more gloss Black color.

Compare a later Colt like a Mark III to an old original Trooper or 3-5-7 made in the mid-60's and you can see the difference in color.

It's interesting that Colt changed their formula so long ago (my 1970's vintage S&W's have the same color bluing as my 1950's example). I was not aware of the change as my experience with Colt revolvers is limited to my 1950's vintage Cobra and my 1920's vintage Pocket Positive both of which would have predated the change. If the bluing on the new Pythons is comparable to that of the 1970's and 1980's models I've seen, then it should still be very attractive.

I looked at and handled a blued New Python at the Colt booth, Great American Outdoor Show. I owned a 1970’s Python for many years. The new Python was pretty, the blue was glossy. It seemed more transparent than the old Python. The old one looked shiny black, the new one it seems like you’re looking through the blue at the polished steel. And the new one looks more blue/black than just black. Doing my best to describe something that is very subtle. Of course it was also covered with finger prints and stuff from all the people handling it. If I could get one for around $1399, same as the stainless, I would consider it.

Back