New production 22lr lever rifle

Lets talk about aluminum side plates. Is that on all the Henry models?
I also like the short throw on the browning, but it seems several don't feel it is as smooth. Short and gritty isn't advantageous.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

There are no aluminum sideplates on Henry leverguns.
There IS a Zamak 5 receiver & receiver cover on the rimfires, both of which are more than up to the job they do.
Denis

Zamak is zinc, aluminum, copper and magnesium. Plenty tough just like the plastic on Glocks. Not my preference, but it works.

May be useful to note that in the case of my 28,000-round Henry test, one part wore & one part broke.
Both steel.
The Zamak receiver & cover are perfectly fine.

The Browning, incidentally, does have an aluminum inner receiver.
Denis

When I was shopping for a 22lr lever action, I ended up with the Base model Henry H001 and have not regretted it. It was lighter than the majority of Henry's offerings and was easy on the wallet. The gun is light, has awsome action and the wood stocks are very nice.

The browning was nice, but it felt smaller in my hands and weighed more. I also did not like the short throw lever..... to be honest, the 22lr lever action was for range fun and I like the full swing on the Henry more. Also the Henry was the slickest action out of the box than any other I tried. I fired quite a few rounds through that Henry and have not run into any problems or wearing issues.

The part that wore was the extractor, which started to fail about 22,000 rounds in, without cleaning.
Had I cleaned the chamber along the way, that extractor may have kept on chugging just fine.
I replaced the extractor.

The part that broke was the locking block spring.
The gun continued to still function, even with that spring busted, till I ran out of ammunition.

The gun was sent to Henry because they wanted to check for wear & specs alterations, they replaced the spring, sent the gun back saying no specs had degraded beyond usable parameters.
Denis

At Henry's prices almost all their models are with-in my budget. Great thing about converting center-fires to rimfires via trades and sales is there is generally resources left over. Converting via gunsmith is usually a fairly expensive proposition. May get the small-game suppressor ready, although I have to think about dropping down to 10 rounds.

IMHO....just get the Marlin 39a* (if you can find one at a decent price).

If money gets tight.....sell it. It'll sell faster than the Henry. Meanwhile, shoot it and enjoy it.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....*I don't even know if they still make them. If not....buy a USED one. IMHO.....it's still better than a Henry.

Last edited:
The 39A has been out of general production for three or four years.
There's talk at Remington about POSSIBLY bringing it back, but it's estimated to be a 2-year development program if they do.
Denis

Back