New production 22lr lever rifle

What do you all like or dislike about the new production options?
Leaning towards a BL-22, but have my eye on the Henry also. Haven't ruled out anything, though I'd prefer to avoid any of the budget Italian or South American options.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Henrys are extremely smooth action lever guns. I've also found mine to be very accurate. Doubt that you'd be unhappy if you buy one of Henrys offerings.

New Production... That got me to wondering. With used 39A's still readily found, I think it would take some serious effort to convince me that any of the new ones could hold a match to a 39A. I realize that there's always the risk of buying a rifle that's been abused or maybe had the crown boogered due to improper cleaning or such. But assuming the best, does anyone know if any of the new one's compare to the accuracy potential of the 39's?

But assuming the best, does anyone know if any of the new one's compare to the accuracy potential of the 39's?

I have an older Henry Golden Boy and it's more accurate than the 39A I had that was made in 1960. I'd like to have the Marlin back but I wouldn't give up the Henry for it.

I am pretty well versed on the classics and the answers from previous threads still hold true. I will be keeping my eye out for any one of a number of old designs along with used examples of current production, but if they don't pop up locally I will grab something new.

I wish there was one with a loading gate. Would probably be quite finicky with the small 22lr cartridges. I had a BB gun with loading gate once. I would have traded it for a vegimite shake.

I picked up a Henry H001L (large loop carbine) a couple three years ago, and can't say anything but good things about it. Beautiful wood, completely reliable, accurate (have taken prairie dogs/rabbits out to 70 yards with it), and very smooth right out of the box.

Two classic levers that are highly regarded are the Marlin 39 and the Winchester 94/22. Both are simply wonderful guns.

Modern production Brownings and Henrys are slick and sweet shooters. I own one of each, and love them both.

My Henry is nearing 20yrs old and it still looks and shoots as well as it ever has. Im sure other rifles are of good quality so I guess what do you prefer. I also have a Henry 44mag and both of my Henry rifles are great looking and great shooters. For the money they are hard to beat IMHO.

I don't need another .22 rifle, but when I buy one, it'll be a Henry. Likely a lever, but maybe the pump action if I can get one for a good price.

When it comes to lever actions, so long as the lack of a loading gate is acceptable to you, you cannot go wrong with a Henry.

I went through this about a month ago. After handling a Henry and a Browning, I traveled 120 miles to buy a Browning BL-22 at a particular gunshop. Along the way, I decided to stop at an older gunshop just for grins. They had a BL-22 as well as a couple of older pre-safety and JM stamped Marlin 39A's. After handling all three guns, the choice for me was obvious. I went home with a 42 year old Marlin 39A that wasn't even on the list. All steel, a machined steel receiver, easy to take apart and clean, well balanced and accurate. The Brownings are very nice as well but I've heard the triggers aren't always the best and they are very difficult to work on. However, my Brother has one and loves it. The action on the Henrys are very smooth, but I can't get past the painted aluminum alloy sideplates, but that's just me. I once owned a Winchester 9422 magnum. Paid $300.00 for it brand new. Deadly accurate and functioned flawlessly. Like an idiot, I sold it. I would love to have another, but I don't have $1000.00 laying around to buy one.

I have a 39A from the early 80’s, a 9422 from whenever, and a BL-22 Micro (for the wife). The BL-22 is too small for me, but shoots pretty well, but the action isn’t so smooth. The short stroke lever takes a bit too much effort. The 39A and 9422 are much smoother. As for accuracy, right or wrong I’m gonna say the Marlin is a bit more accurate than the 9422, though both are very accurate. The 9422 is considerably lighter.

The trigger on the Marlin and Winchester are both pretty good. The trigger on the Browning is awful, but maybe years of shooting will smooth it out.

I've owned at least one of each of the four varieties over the years. All are very likable and we'll designed. The Erma Werke (Henry) has the smoothest cycling lever. I find the pistol grip Marlins the most comfortable. Accuracy is gun dependent, but I was happy with the Marlins and Henrys in that regard. I like the Browning the least, but it's a fun little rifle.

Of course if buying new, Henry and Browning are pretty much it. Parts availability and service going forward, the advantage would robably go to Henry..

I have Henry's basic h001 rifle. I chose that over their golden boy model for a few reasons. The stock of the h001 has less drop, which allows a better cheek weld when i put on taller peep sights. Also, its butt plate is flat rather than curved. The toe or heal of the golden boy's stock kind of jabbed my depending on the shooting position. Finally. I have heavier rifles, but i wanted a light one in this case... didn't really want an 8-pound .22 lever-action.

I've never shot a 39a, but i do own an older Marlin .357 lever gun. I like that gun and the Henry well enough thay I would consider either brand for future purchases.

I have a Marlin, it hasn't been out of the house in several years.
I finally sold my 9422.
I did a head-to-head between Henry & Browning (had previously worked with other examples of both guns), and kept the Henry when it had a better trigger, a much smoother action, better sights, and markedly outshot the Browning.

I'll also mention the 28,000-round torture test I put another Golden Boy through, after which I bought the gun.

I like the Marlin & have no intentions of letting it go.
I like the Henry, ditto.
The Win was nice, but parts would eventually get to be a problem.
I like the trim short-stroke Brownings.

The Henry has better accuracy than any of the others I've had here.

Just noting comparisons.
All were/are very good guns.
Denis

DPris, I read that test and was amazed at the Henry's durability.

I've owned a Marlin 39A for quite a few years. They are very nice and this one is reasonably accurate. Just recently I purchased a Henry long barrel Frontier. It's very nice too. I haven't been able to shoot it lot yet but so far it has the Marlin beat a little in accuracy. Not a lot but a little and this was with both rifles scoped. I've installed a William receiver peep sight on the Marlin and am in the process of installing a No. 2 Lyman tang sight on the Henry. I'm currently waiting on a screw which I should have next week. Then I'm going to do a side by side comparison of the two. Both fit me very well and the balance is about the same. It will be mostly an accuracy comparison off the bench with different brands of ammo.

Neither rifle is going anywhere. I'm happy with both.

Back